Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheels dull

zoob113

Corvette
1993 40 anniversary ruby red 6 spd coupe
Hello

just got ruby out for the first ride yesterday. Happy Happy:happyanim:

My wheels seem cloudy do not shine -- looking at an angle you can see some spots 93 sawblades

I read in the detailing section you can clay them?

will this clean them up? any ideas

thanks

steve

Hello

just got ruby out for the first ride yesterday. Happy Happy:happyanim:

My wheels seem cloudy do not shine -- looking at an angle you can see some spots 93 sawblades

I read in the detailing section you can clay them?

will this clean them up? any ideas

thanks
steve

If your clear-coat is fading or yellowing, yes, it can be polished or clay-barred once or twice to semi restore the finish. But because its just a thin clear coat once its damaged all the way thru, its toast. Happens to all wheel clear coat eventually.
Mine were hopeless and I wanted a shine that you could see yourself in, so I stripped the clear, and the paint (90% of all sawblades are painted) and polished the aluminum. Since they are now polished that seals itself to a degree and clear is not necessary. But heres the "rub"....
the results are fantastic, the best work I've ever done and I've polished alot of stuff, mostly inside heads and manifolds, but those wheels were WORK!
Under the paint is rough as concrete cast aluminum and it takes weeks to sand it down to polish. I would not polish another set of sawblades for less that $750..and neither will anyone else.I'll do it, just gonna cost ya..BIG! :happyanim:

There ARE shops around that refinish factory wheels. They'll sandblast, repaint and clear for around $150 or a little less.You'll get what was on the car when it was new. They also repair and restore. They however do not do high-polish.
Around Here its "Wheels America" and they are a chain store so they might have a shop in your area.

mothers

I have used Mothers polish (red tub / white creme) with amazing results.
Use a rough nap cloth (face cloth)and rub hard in long circular motion.
Take your time!!!!! the more and harder you rub the shinier they get.:cool!:

Hey please post results if you are happy. THX:w
P.S. I believe Clay bar is designed to remove foreign objects imbedded or on the paint surface prior to polishing
not necessarily for polishing

I will "second" the Mother's recommendation. It works really well. Take your time and be prepared to use a little muscle on it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom