Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheels wont turn

captainrags

Corvette
1996 red coupe lt4 manual 6 speed
Why cant I turn the rear wheels with car on a jack, out of gear and brakes off ?
96 LT4

:confused:confused

Why cant I turn the rear wheels with car on a jack, out of gear and brakes off ?
96 LT4

:confused:confused
Do you have both rear wheels off the ground?~??:confused

Attachments

• C4 Rear Susp (Medium).jpg
    C4 Rear Susp (Medium).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 93
Are you able to drive it normally, and shift it thru all the gears?
Andy :w

Are you able to drive it normally, and shift it thru all the gears?
Andy :w

Yes both wheels off the ground.Car drives fine shifts good it even rolls easy. with jack or stand under arm or correct lifting point
As far as I know when wheels are off the ground one or two the diferential would let you spin a wheel not un less it has some diferent type of reaxle asembly

Have you changed the rear axle lube recently?

If so did you put the positraction lube back in the diff.?

Did you use the parking brake and forget to fully release it?

Is it an auto or standard transmission?

If it is a standard have you replaced the clutch recently?

If you have replaced the clutch does the car want to creep at a stop light?

If it is an automatic are you putting it in neutral when it is on the jack stands?

Posi rear end, you can't spin just one wheel. Well you can, but it's tight.

Maybee a dragging rear brake?

Hate to ask again, but your'e sure both wheels are clearing the ground, and you're not binding a tire up on a jack stand?

Have you changed the rear axle lube recently?

If so did you put the positraction lube back in the diff.?

Did you use the parking brake and forget to fully release it?

Is it an auto or standard transmission?

If it is a standard have you replaced the clutch recently?

If you have replaced the clutch does the car want to creep at a stop light?

If it is an automatic are you putting it in neutral when it is on the jack stands?

all bakes are off
I replaced the Clutch master cylinder som time back but nothing has changed there
car dosent creep it was before i replaced the clutch mc
Manual 6 speed
netural on the j stands

Posi rear end, you can't spin just one wheel. Well you can, but it's tight.

Maybee a dragging rear brake?

Hate to ask again, but your'e sure both wheels are clearing the ground, and you're not binding a tire up on a jack stand?

Thats a posibilty as about a mont ago i did manage to turn one wheel but now nothing
I was considering doing the universal joints because i have som clicking noises on tale off.
What is a Posi rear end?
Ive had this car just 5 months

Thats a posibilty as about a mont ago i did manage to turn one wheel but now nothing
I was considering doing the universal joints because i have som clicking noises on tale off.
What is a Posi rear end?
Ive had this car just 5 months

Your rear end will not allow you to rotate one wheel by turning it by hand...it will try to rotate the other wheel the opposite direction. There are clutches inside that operate with power or torque from the drive shaft, not the wheel.
Posi-trak rears,(trade-mark name) or GM limited-slip rears apply power to both rear wheels but allow the inner wheel on a corner or a long curve in the road to "slip" so the tire does not break traction. This allows max power to the ground without loosing traction, yet allows the wheels to turn at different speeds when needed, like in turns. The outside wheel has further to travel than the inside wheel so the inside is allowed to slip slightly.

These rears were designed by witch-craft and most folks make a mess of attempting to rebuild one because it has lots more going on inside than a common rear end that only sends power to one wheel. Clutches, shims, thrust washers etc... and its fairly bullet proof as long as they are maintained right.
Whenever checking fluids or doing a major service on a dana rear end like these, be certain to add the GM limited slip additive to the grease. This is for the clutches and they won;t operate properly without it.
There is no drain plug either...so have fun trying to suck out what ever grease you can so fresh can be added...

Gotta love it.

Your rear end will not allow you to rotate one wheel by turning it by hand...it will try to rotate the other wheel the opposite direction. There are clutches inside that operate with power or torque from the drive shaft, not the wheel.
Posi-trak rears,(trade-mark name) or GM limited-slip rears apply power to both rear wheels but allow the inner wheel on a corner or a long curve in the road to "slip" so the tire does not break traction. This allows max power to the ground without loosing traction, yet allows the wheels to turn at different speeds when needed, like in turns. The outside wheel has further to travel than the inside wheel so the inside is allowed to slip slightly.

These rears were designed by witch-craft and most folks make a mess of attempting to rebuild one because it has lots more going on inside than a common rear end that only sends power to one wheel. Clutches, shims, thrust washers etc... and its fairly bullet proof as long as they are maintained right.
Whenever checking fluids or doing a major service on a dana rear end like these, be certain to add the GM limited slip additive to the grease. This is for the clutches and they won;t operate properly without it.
There is no drain plug either...so have fun trying to suck out what ever grease you can so fresh can be added...

Gotta love it.

Thank You

:thanks:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom