Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

When did your "C5" Clutch Go Out?

When did your "C5" Clutch Go Out?

• > 110K miles

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 70K - 110K miles

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • 30K - 70K miles

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 0 - 30K miles

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grinding reverse

I've got the hard to get into reverse, think it's in, let out the clutch and then you hear an awful Grinding noise syndrome too. Right from the beginning it felt like a design compromise to me, so I never went after it. I will say if it starts to grind as you are withdrawing the clutch pedal, just push up on the stick while you continue to let the clutch out, and then she'll slide in. Remember, out of necessity, reverse gears aren't syncromesh, so the gears have to line up right. I think overall it's a good tranny, and it was one of the earlier 6 speeds.

Enjoy!

I am at 81+k miles with 60 drag strip passes and several hundred miles on a road course. It has not failed yet on as my daily driver however I will be replacing it next week with a Centerforce clutch and Fidanza aluminum flywheel (12lbs :D). I will be doing the install myself, My Z06 is my daily driver so I will change it before it strands me on the road potentially. I will also be doing large power adders next year so now seems like a good time.

22,000 miles on my original stock clutch. I'm running 500 rwhp. Still running strong. I was caught off guard the other day. A 'Stang GT decided to play. I hadn't noticed him come up at the light. I was busy scanning for tunes on my stereo. By the time he revved his engine and the light turned green I shoved my shifter into third gear by mistake. I still chirped the tires off the line but, it was the first clue to my mistake. By this time the GT was about two car lengths ahead. I knew first gear at this point would be worthless so I shifted into second gear. I still outran him. He was furious. At the next light he asked me how I did it. I just said, "Hey, it's a Corvette!"

I'm sure I wasted a few clutch miles in the process, but it was worth the price.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom