Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

When is the engine warmed up?

Q

qbolyf

Hi all,

What would be normal oil and coolant temps when the engine is "warmed up"?

thanks,
jeff

Oil temp can be between 200-215 and coolant temp can be between 190-220 give or take. Ideally the cooler the better.

qbolyf said:
Hi all,

What would be normal oil and coolant temps when the engine is "warmed up"?

thanks,
jeff

I'm sure there is variation in individual vehicles, but my LS6 runs at 192 degrees coolant temperature when the car is traveling over about 40mph for a fairly long period. When in traffic, where there are periods of idling waiting for traffic lights, the coolant temperature can go as high as 229 degrees.

The oil temperature tends to follow the coolant temperature and I have seen it go as high as 220 degrees. According to a Corvette spokeperson, the oil temperature can go as high as 300 degrees without damage to the engine. This is due, according to the Corvette team, to the Mobil-1 synthetic oil.

Apparently synthetic oil has molecules which are all the same size, whereas oil produced directly from crude has molecules of varying sizes. At high temperatures the smaller molecules evaporate, resulting in a more viscous oil. This reduces lubricating properties which lead to higher temperatures, which lead to more evaporative loss (this is a vicious cycle).

This is why, again acccording to Chevrolet, the Corvette no longer needs an engine oil cooler.

FWIW, I have attended several driving schools and at each was told not to romp on the throttle until the oil temperature exceeds about 110 degrees. Otherwise you risk damaging the engine.

Ray

I agree, I never get heavy on the throttle until the oil temp is over 160 degrees. No sense flirting with disaster.

I set the oil temperature gauge as the most important..I follow common sense until the oil temperature hits 150 degrees..After that all bets are off!

We're all running pretty close to what is most probably prudent.

What does "the book" say?

I would agree with just about all posts so far on this thread. The main thing is to not jump on the throttle of a cold engine! I used to fly military airplanes for a living, and each type's handbook had a very specific schedule of temperatures and pressures during warmup (no more than such and such RPM below so and so degrees oil temperature, etc). So I've always babied car engines too. The modern synthetic oils make the problem somewhat better, but aren't miracles.

Nowadays, whenever I see somebody jump in ANY car that isn't already warm, start it up, slam it into gear, and roar off I just cringe inwardly!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom