Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where do you put a subwoofer in an 82 Vette?

• Thread starter Thread starter luvmy82
  • Start date Start date
L

luvmy82

I've recently upgraded my stereo system in my Vette. It's the newest Kenwood receiver, and it cranks out a mind-boggling 200 W per channel and I've also installed 4 brand new speakers. Here's my delemma. Unless you have a subwoofer somewhere in your car, it sounds like crap like you are sitting inside a tin can. I was at my local car stereo store exploring my options for better sound, and I hate all of them.
As you know, there is no accomodation in the design of the area behind the seats in which you would place your subwoofer that would "blend in with the decor" so-to-speak. The only option that I was shown was to mount the smallest amplifier in the storage compartment behind the passenger's seat, and put this boxy looking, grey carpeted piece of crap looking thing that would just sit there in the back plain as day. I'm sorry, but it makes me look like I'm driving a Pimp-Mobile.

There has to be an option out there that someone has done to their C-3 Vette that can make a subwoofer (or base tube?) aesthetically blend in?

I need some suggestions as to what others have done to solve this problem? I'm all ears...(excuse the pun! Sorry, couldn't resist)

Thanks!

First of all, welcome to the CAC!

As for your delimma, you're best bet is to go custom built. The most common ways I've seen are to either build something to fit in your rear storage tray or to build a box that will rest at the rear, custom fit and covered in matching carpet.

I think 69MyWay has done something like what you're trying. Myself, I just have a basic system with head unit and speakers - no amp. Mine is in a custom fit box that rests behind the seats.

I know those are the same options you mentioned but they can be done without looking boxy. Mine looks like it came in the car. So long as everything follows the contours it will look nice. I know most custom boxes look like @#$% but that's because someone just wanted a box. If time is taken in design it will look good.

I had a sub box for a little while in my 80. I haven't seen any custom boxes. I just pulled the cover over everything and kept it out of site. I think the best is going to be a tube or box mounted across the back wall. But getting it to look like anything but aftermarket will be hard I think. Best of luck though. I'd like to see if you come up with something...

Just had this though...maybe a custom fabbed panel that gets riveted on to the rear deck and then comes out and over your speaker enclosure. Then a hole in the middle with a faceplace. This would have the speaker facing you, from the middle-back wall of the car. I don't know...

Good place for an AMP on the C3

Amp%20Mounting.JPG

A good place for some boom boom. I sprayed my custom box in truck bed liner material. It could have just as well been carpet, but since mine is a convertible I wanted it moisture proof.

speaker%20box%20finished.JPG

If you want the full range of sound including plenty of deep tones, you will need something like this. You could build a box nearly identical to fit your C3.

Wow, your amp doesn't overheat under there???

It might, but it is better there where it gets some air flow than tucked away in the rear cubby.

Time will tell. If need be I will move it up on the back of the passenger roll bar.

Gotta have my tunes!

Well, I think I might have found a comprimise. After searching the internet, I found this self amplified subwoofer that pretty compact in size, but high in power. Here's the link to the site that has the subwoofer I'm thinking of adding. It takes up only 1 sq ft. of space, so it's not this intrusive gray carpeted box I have to hide or a hideous Bazooka thingy that looks like crap when exposed.

Lemme know what you think:

http://www.etronics.com/product2.asp?stk_code=infbasslink

seems a bit pricy for me, but assuming you get what u pay for that would fit in pretty darn good.

The price is not bad when you consider the cost of a box, speaker, and amp all tied into one package.

It still will look out of place, but at least it is a self contained unit.

Short of building custom enclosures, there is no way to produce high quality sound and power in the C3 body.

Remember though, you can always get that ugly grey box recovered in matching carpet to your car, or leather/vinyl material to make it look more plush and soft to match the soft affect of the interior of the car.

I've done some custom audio stuff in other cars, but I don't have any plans to do much of anything stereo-wise on my vette. However, if I were going to do some audio upgrades, here are some of my thoughts:

The C3 interior is so compact that large speakers are totally unnecessary as long as you aren't after bone-jarring bass. Judging from your thoughts about that Infinity enclosure, I assume you don't have any plans for big bass. Therefore, my first inclination is to sacrifice the storage bins behind the seat. You should be able to fit a custom enclosure for a single 8" or 10" sub back there that will balance well with the rest of your system. 69myway's amp installation is really cool. But if you don't want to go through that kind of trouble, just put a small sub amp in the bin that you don't use for the sub. As for the sub enclosure itself, I would suggest a sealed enclosure, probably made at least partially out of fiberglass. The sub could be mounted flush with the top of the bin and could be easily concealed.

Just remember to use a crossover to cut the bass from the rest of your speakers when you install the sub, if at all possible.

Good luck.

amplifier location

Good place for an AMP on the C3

Amp%20Mounting.JPG

A good place for some boom boom. I sprayed my custom box in truck bed liner material. It could have just as well been carpet, but since mine is a convertible I wanted it moisture proof.

speaker%20box%20finished.JPG

If you want the full range of sound including plenty of deep tones, you will need something like this. You could build a box nearly identical to fit your C3.
Hi, could you repost the pics showing how you mounted your amp. I'm trying to decide how to do mine. Thanks, :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom