Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where do you put your jack stands ?

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
I'm trying to replace the rear gear oil in my '04, just bought the car about 5 weeks ago and am still trying to get "indoctrinated" into the C5 scene. I see the jacking locations in the manual but they don't say where to put jackstands. I understand placement is critical. Can someone please tell me where the common place to put the stands is in front and rear ? This obviously requires two support spots at each corner. One for the jack, one for the stand so I can move the jack to another corner. I have Ramps but they look way too steep to get a C5 up them w/out dragging the front air dam, I suppose I could try to back up them to raise the rear's though . Besides they are currently in use on another of my beaters :) .

Thank You !!

I used Rhino ramps when I changed my trans fluid and always when I do my oil. You can drive up on them, the corner air damns drag but not as bad as the old metal ramps.

Since I have a manual trans, I do not like to drive up since if I give it too much gas I can over shoot the ramp! Therefore I jack it up first and then put the ramps under the tires, than I let it down on the ramps.

For the trans fulid I did the above for the rear wheels and jacked up the front end until level with the rear.

The Rhino ramps are low profile and I used them for my PT Cruiser, all my cars for that matter now.

Hmmm....
The wood block method is definitely a convenient one but the stands seen too close together in the rear to provide a lot of stability. Seems if someone leaned heavily on the car it might tip downward. I'll probably look for a set of Rhino ramps and use a combination of the two methods.

Pseudomind and ToolGuy, Thanks for the info !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom