Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which Anti-freeze?

Does it really matter what color the anti-freeze is as long as it gives you the correct mix for the required protection??? Hmmm, I do not really know the answer buddy.

I don't have a recent year 'vette but I know they put dexicool in 'em, and I am pretty sure your car came with it. My 2000 Olds. has it. You can't mix the two or it will gum up your radiator, you have to completely flush the system if you want to change. Search the site for dexicool and you'll find a bunch of stuff. I am sure someone will chime in later.

-Tatortot

Dexcool is an organic based antifreeze and designed for late model vehicles with major aluminum components. Non-dexcool is a chemical base. You should not mix the two. Prestone is apparently making a mix that is suitable for both applications. If you choose not to use that, use regular antifreeze.

I know that the dex-cool was designed for today's use of many aluminum components, less corrosive to them. I have changed over every vehicle I own to dex-cool, from '77 Caddy on up. You must flush out the old green stuff first. FYI: at one time there was a notice on the gallon that you could back fill dex-cool to '93 and newer GM models.

Dexuncool

Mixing the red and green will not sludge up the system. The two are chemically compatible, both glycol, but mixing renders the Dexcool's reported 100,000 mile/5 year lifespan to regular coolant.
The trouble starts when air is constantly present ie. a failing cap or bad hose clamp. Dexcool (Texaco) is under the gun for many problems caused by the failure of cooling components possibly related to the orange antifreeze. It seems to eat gaskets and clog heater cores.
In '96 GM specified Dexcool only and warns against engine and cooling system damage if not used. After researching I flushed with green. There is no going back. Once green no orange. Just change every 2 years, like Dexcool now recommends.
The Dexcool I removed was absolutely perfect looking. But my engine runs cooler with less wild temperature mood swings with RLWW and 40% green. Could the $15 a gallon have anything to do with the recommendation? Follow the money.

Your 94 got green ethlyene glycol coolant as the factory fill. That's what should go back into it after a flush or coolant change. Use distilled water with the coolant when refilling. You'll need 2 gallons of green coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water.

Some late 95's and the 96 C4's got Dexcool as a factory fill. If Dexcool was the factory fill there should be a sticker near the pressure cap or the recovery tank with a notice that specifies the use of Dexcool. I'm not sure if GM produced an updated Owner's Manual for the 95 cars that got Dexcool, but that would be another place to check.

I would not mix any colors. If your car has green (ethlyene glycol) coolant, use that. If it's orange (Dexcool) use that. There are lots of arguments about mixing/switching but there is no reason to change as long as you follow the service guide for coolant changing based on time and/or mileage. There is little difference in the cost of coolant. For example, Prestone green coolant around here is going for $6.95 a gallon. Texaco Havoline (which is the same as the GM Dexcool) Dexcool is $7.95 a gallon.

I appreciate the ALL of your inputs...I have decided to go back with the ethlyene glycol coolant (the green). I was just curious if the Dexcool or ethlyene glycol was better for an aluminum radiator, in as far as helping to keep the system clean with less issue when it comes to corrosion.
Thanks again!
T

Whichever you buy, avoid buying the real cheap house brand at Walmart AND make sure it says aluminum compatible on the jug!!

Ron ... :beer

who cares what color it is you just want it to do the job, The green stuff has been around forever and has stood the test of time. It came in your car...use that. I only have the dexcool because my car came with it. My camaro and impala have the green prestone.

atmmac said:
who cares what color it is you just want it to do the job, The green stuff has been around forever and has stood the test of time.

That's my thinking with it too. Unless it came from the factory with orange, stick with the green.

There's a good article in the current issue of Corvette Magazine that discusses the properties of the various types of anti-freeze.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom