Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

which is better 72 c3 or 81c3?

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
Okay here we go,this is kind of a offshoot,of the recent poll on the 1972 c3 vs the 02 c5.

Someone made mention of the different opinions that you would get comparing the 72 to an 82.

Lets go with this one. which one do you think is the better car. 1972 or 1981? (i made mention of the 81,not just because I own one,but both still have 4 barrel carbs.

My opionion. hmm thats hard I like all c3s.

1972 pros engine easier to work on,less emission stuff,better exhaust,

1981 pros,better paint job (BG models only) fastback retro styling,moot point.

Performance is simalar on both small blocks,so is gas mileage,handling and ride. The 81 has a slight technological edge.

Again,to me both are great machines and i would be proud to own any one of them 68-82. But that other post made me curious as to what you other guys and gals think. Ken

Well the 72 is going to be worth more.Ive never driven a newer shark so i really cant compare the two.In my opinon a shark is a shark, they are all the most beautiful cars ever made.

I like 'em both. I like the 72s because of the bumpers, and I like the 81s because of the bubble window. Both have spoilers, and both are equally awesom cars. Suspension is almost exactly the same, so they handly the same. Thats a hard question. I love 'em all!
zachh
mine: 79 L82
186_2.jpg

sharkcar71 said:
In my opinon a shark is a shark, they are all the most beautiful cars ever made.

X2:v Altho I do love the 80-82 body style better.

72 all the way...

1) 4 speed manual transmission
2) big block
4) convertible
5) side pipes
6) chrome bumpers
7) no emissions
8) more basic carb setup (isn't the '81 electric choke?)

Early Vettes are a hard one to beat.....seems like Dejavu here or what??

"1981 pros,better paint job (BG models only) "......

They made C-3's in Bowling Green???

Chas:_rock

Chas said:
It was either the second half of 1980 or '81 when they moved all production to BG. The VIN will tell ya where the car was built for which ever year the switch took place.

Chas said:
Early Vettes are a hard one to beat.....seems like Dejavu here or what??

"1981 pros,better paint job (BG models only) "......

Chas:_rock

Hey there. :nono (<- make that a TSK TSK smiley) :L

I like the 80-82 bodystyle better, but i'm partial aint i? :D

Not a big fan of the chrome bumpers, but they are all nice cars. They are C3's afterall. ;)

:w
-Stefan

Bowling Green started production in June of 1981 with the first run being two tones initially.

St Louis continued producing 81's until August of 81 also until they finally shut down.

Also you could get a 4 speed in 81 mine has one.The Borg and Warner Super t-10 as oppossed to the earlier models (until 73 I believe) Muncie rock crusher. Ken

hdkeno said:
Also you could get a 4 speed in 81 mine has one.The Borg and Warner Super t-10 as oppossed to the earlier models (until 73 I believe) Muncie rock crusher. Ken
That is correct...The '82 had no options for transmission. Brain fart earlier...What can I say? It's the end of the workday..I'm a bit rusty. :L

Thanks for the info

This place rules for smart people!:_rock

81...81...81!

Now, I admit it...72's are cool and all. The LT1 RPO (255 HP) was not bad. The LS5 (270 HP) had all the necessary ingredients for making it scream on the street. And how about the ZR1 package? Sweet! And I have always loved the early 70's convertibles.

81's had a large range of color options and combinations. They're really cruisers, and got approximately 130 MPH top speeds, even though the government insisted on 85 MPH speedo's. They incorporated gobs of creature comfort features. Even with the HD suspension, one is not beaten to death on long trips. And who can forget the nation-wide implementation of the computer command control (CCC). It was the technological edge at the time. Now is true that today, when one compares the 81 CCC with today's advanced computer controls, is like comparing the IBM 8086 desktop computers of the past with the 3+ gig processors of today. But still, the CCC is very reliable, and it controls the important parameters. ALL the other technological advances made it very easy to maintain. My 81 has never, ever left me stranded. And that includes the optional 255/60R15's Goodyear meats that came with the Vette. In fact, I have never had the need to use the spare tire.

But, which Corvette does really suck? None! :beer Like Harley-Davidson motorcycles, the Corvette is the real deal. It's the quintessential American Sports Car. A Mustang-owning friend of mine recently admitted "The Corvette is the Corvette, and the 'stang will never match the Vette's impact."

GerryLP:cool

Definitely a tough question. The 190 hp of the '81 is certainly one of it's downfalls, but the gearing and tranny still make it fun to drive with its sprite response and agility. The bubble window makes the small storage area more functional than the sugar scoop style of '72, but that extra glass sure adds to the a/c load. Both cars are somewhat hot inside. Whether the bumber is chrome or not, they both become ugly when they show their age, either rust, or waves and bumps. The body enhancements on the '81 make the car look very sleek while the '72 has a stance and style that just screams muscle. Just as those chrome bumbers are characteristic of the '72, I think that those mirrored t-tops on the '81 make the '80-'82 years unique in their own sense. I like them both very much, but have to give the edge to the '81. I think I'll get one, oh, I already have one.;)

Don't forget to wave :w
Mike

I'd go with the '72 in a heartbeat.
Nothing looks better (as far as C3's go) on a nice sunny day.

sfallison said:
Better yet.. Which one will get ya Laid - The 72, or 81? :D

NO FARM ANIMALS WERE HURT DURING THIS POST !

We gotta leave the chickens out of this . :L No getting laid !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom