Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which tires for my 1980

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I have been running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. I really like them. They are worn out. I can't get them any more. What tires should I buy now for my 1980 stock wheel ( I am running the 255/60 R15 tire.)?

Have you tried the tire rack for tires????
that's where I got mine.....

We are running out of choices for this size tire. I found only 3 brands that where readily available. Copper cobra, Mickey Thomson and BFG TAs . I settled for the BFGs this spring. $550 for 4 out the door from america tire

17" wheels

Got Dunlops very happy with them!

Greetings Peter
If I changed wheels would the 17' wheels be the way to go? Like maybe 235 fronts and 255 rears in 17"? Why do most tires that aren't matched in width have the taller sidewall in front.Seems to me that in cornering you'd want the shorter sidewall in front and taller in back?

IF you go to bigger tires,make sure the will
NOT rub the body,especially when turning!

As the 15" tires aren't that sporty anymore I think changing to 17" is the way to go. Also if you want to upgrade the brake system in the future the 15" isn't going to cut it so you need 17" or even 18".

I've never seen taller tires in the front, only narrower width that the rear. As you still need the same total tire height in front as the wider tires in the rear. And the tire height is expressed in % from the tire width you get a bigger % number for height in front that in the rear but the true height is still the same.

With 17" I think 235 - 255 is fine in the front and in the rear you can put 275 as max (295 with relocating the handbrake bracket) as far as I remember.

Greetings Peter

15" are getting harder to find and they are not dirt cheap like they were a few years ago. If you are intent on keeping the look totally stock stay with the 15's. If not I wouldn't go much more than 17's at worse or you'll have no sidewall and add to an already tough ride. As for 15's.... I used BF Goodrich Radial TA's for over 20 years. I consistently got 60K+ miles on each set even with horsing around off the line. There's something that just looks right on C3's see those Raised White Letter's flashing around as she goes down the road.

.......... nut :D

Ride a lot rougher?

Would the 17" say with a 50 sidewall ( 60 now on my 15") ride a lot rougher or do the modern tires ride even better than the older tires like I have?

tire size.

I just replaced mine with 295-60 15's. I like the wider foot and the way they stick out the wells. She's rode rough on the old eagles but is as smooth as glass on these skins. Speedo's a little off but how can you get in trouble going 63 when your speedo reads 65? Low n slow.

Try2pas, are you a sporting driver? Or just a casual burble around town with the occasional jab at the throttle? If you're the latter, stick with 15's and BFG T/A's.
If you want to start getting a more planted feel to the road and feel like you can actually take a corner at speed, you need to go to 17" rims. Your tire choices become much much greater across the board. I was concerned with going to 17's and losing the white letters. I can tell you now that I don't miss them given the level of performance I gained by going to 17's. Function over fashion. (I also didn't like that the BFG's have a speed rating of "S", which signifies 112mph).

Summit Racing (.com) has the BFG's and two other brands in a 255x60x15.
Cooper Cobra G/T and Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. Both are a pinch higher speed rating @ 118mph. (IMHO, the Mickey's look mildly more aggressive.)

If you find a set of rims that you like in 17" and can afford the extra pennies to get them, you'll be a very happy camper with performance tires...IF you're that type of driver. Again, if you just burble around town and aren't tearing up the streets or tracks, stick with your 15's. The BFG T/A's will be made forever because all the hotrodders use them for their show cars.

As for looks of the 15's -vs- 17's, as long as you don't go to a crazy short tire (<50), your wheels should still look relatively appropriately sized on your car.

Here is my car with my original rims (from a '79 vette), the replacement 15" rims, and my current 17" rims. Save for the white letters, aspect-wise, I think it still looks appropriate. (hover or click on the pic for fullsize)

3-sets-of-rims.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom