Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"whileyouareatityoumightaswellas" is a bad disease

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
well, I've heard of this disease but now I've experienced it for myself and now I fully understand how it so easily affects everyone when you are working on your cars.

For my current winter project, the original plan was simple, pull the intake manifold and valve covers and clean them up. I also figured at the same time to just simply touch up a few spots of paint on the block that had worn away or chipped off. For my first time working on the car it was suppose to be relatively simple and not too difficult nor too involved.
Well, so much for simple and small projects!

At this point, the carb is packed up ready to ship out for a complete rebuild, the intake, distributor, valve covers, fan blade, pulleys, water pump, exhaust manifolds, fan shroud, radiator, expansion tank, all the heater hoses, and the ignition wires are all off the car.
The exhaust manifolds are glass bead blasted and repainted with manifold stuff, the motor is getting all cleaned up and masked off to completely respray with new paint (so much for just touching up a few areas), valve covers are cleaned up, intake waiting to get done, radiator going out for repair, and a number of small items like the pulleys, fanblade, radiator bracket, fan shroud will all get fresh paint also along with the brake master cylander. All the hoses have been thoroughly cleaned up and dressing put on them except the upper rad hose which I spurged and bought a replacement one, plus all of the clamps I've either bought new clean replacement ones or cleaned up the old one to look good. Most of the bolts from everything i removed i've bought new replacement bolts instead of reusing the old rusty ones. Also bought all new ground straps to replace the old cruddy looking ones. The ignition shielding has already been all cleaned up and looking nice and shiney, etc.

The main problems with this disease is I don't know when it ends.......... now that so much of my engine compartment is stripped of parts and looks so empty I keep looking at it and thinking to myself "hmmm I bet it wouldn't be that much more difficult to just yank that motor out of there completely. Would make it much easier to paint it and with it out I'll have good access to really clean up the front area of the frame now too....."

NO!! No I keep telling myself! I'm NOT pulling that motor out. I know what will happen if I do pull the motor and I'll not allow it to go that far. If I pulled the motor I could clean up the entire front section of the frame but than I'd be upset that only the front section got cleaned up and I'd want the rest of the frame to look as nice so the only way to do that would be to pull the body off........... NO, NO, NO!!!!! It ain't happening I tell you!

It's all your fault CAC people! I tell you it's all your fault!
All I ever wanted was a nice Vette to drive and enjoy, but than I go to car shows and see all these perfect cars and I come onto here at CAC and see all your pefect cars, and I see all the work you do on your own cars and I want my car to look as nice as the rest of yours do. Now it spends more time in paint shops and being worked on then it does getting driven because now I'm obsessed with making it as nice as I can.
I see you guys doing all the work yourself and in the pictures and your description of what you are doing you all make it seem so easy when it's not. But once you start taking parts off than you look at the next part and figure "well, that first part will look so nice and clean when I'm done, it would really be a shame to not clean up this part also".

D*amnit, does it ever end??!! The horror, the horror!

sorry, i just had to vent and rant and get that out of my system. :D

IH2LOSE said:
Me personally will always pull a motor for an engine bay detail.

you are NOT helping Larry! I don't need more temptation
;LOL ;LOL

People who lurk here at CAC are.....ENABLERS!!!!! (good thing they are here, think how bad it would be without them!!)

BarryK said:
yeah Herb, they ENABLE me to get in way over my head!
;LOL
Oh Barry, Just Shut up and Gett'r Done!! :D You Have till next April or May!!;LOL I wish all I had to do was My car's!!:W junk!! ps I'm sure it will be Worth the Trouble!!

I may need that lifesaver Bob. Oh wait, you guys here on CAC ARE my lifesavers! :)

Junk, yep, I figure I have all winter. Well, most of it anyway. I need to allow a few extra weeks to get the car back over to the paint shop as he is going to re-wetsand a few areas and rebuff the entire car for me again.

BarryK said:
The main problems with this disease is I don't know when it ends.......... now that so much of my engine compartment is stripped of parts and looks so empty I keep looking at it and thinking to myself "hmmm I bet it wouldn't be that much more difficult to just yank that motor out of there completely. Would make it much easier to paint it and with it out I'll have good access to really clean up the front area of the frame now too....."

Barry, when you first posted that you were going to pull the intake, I was going to post a "how many days do you give Barry till he decides to pull the motor" pool. But I didn't want to jinx you;LOL .

You know that even if you pull the motor...
I may as well yank the master cylinder and get it done.
I wonder if this is the original wire harness, maybe I should replace it.
Might as well have fresh firewall grommets.
I should probably do the steering box while I' here.
Hood latches, maybe I'll fresen those up while I am here.
There won't be a better time to paint the firewall and inner fenders.

And on and on...:crazy

maxphunn said:
Barry, when you first posted that you were going to pull the intake, I was going to post a "how many days do you give Barry till he decides to pull the motor" pool. But I didn't want to jinx you;LOL
I think 67 has one somewhere!!:rotfl junk!!

Max, believe me, I've thought of most of those things already and that's what scaring me......... better access means more work i'll want to get done.
There has to be a point where you can just say enough is enough.

it's not helping that i'm getting emails already from people saying "yank it".

If I actually had someone close to me with plenty of knowledge and expereince pulling and reinstalling motors that was willing to help there is a very good chance i'd actually pull the darn motor out but as it is I'm NOT doing it alone by myself. i know I'd be way in over my head so for now the motor is staying put. I already have a lot on my plate to deal with anyway with as much as I've already disassembled and removed.

Junk, yes, i remember 67Heaven making that comment............. ;LOL

Barry - you need to draw a line in the sand as to how far you are willing to go - AT THIS TIME! I have been in my restoration/reconstruction/rebuild for 20 years. I was constantly doing the, while I am at it, routine. I am at last within a weeks worth of work to be done. It is not 100% original, but it looks great and will be driven very often.

I have always told my wife that once I am done, I will be out cruising for chicks! Now she says the chicks will wonder why the old fart with the grey hair is driving such a cool car.

Set achievable goals for this winter so you can still enjoy the car next spring and summer. Then plan for next winters projects.

Keep at it - you are doing great.

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
Barry - you need to draw a line in the sand as to how far you are willing to go - AT THIS TIME!
He Has!!:D Somewhere around the Rear Bumper Brackit's!!;LOL ;LOL :rotfl junk!!

Steve

excellent advice. I've thought of that but it's good to hear it coming from another source. Getting the car back on the road in time to get it back to the paint shop and than ready for Spring is one of my biggest concerns about pulling the motor. I'd get involved with additional work on the frame, the inner fenders, etc and next thing i know it's the middle of June or July and the motor is still out...........
I keep telling myself to just get thru what i've already done, and get it back together with no leaks and everything working and congratulate myself on my first real project and than NEXT year if I want I can always pull the motor and work on other areas.
The temptation comes in because I'm looking at half the stuff already off including the fan shroud and radiator out and all that room to work with would make pulling it easy now (relatively speaking I suppose).

I also keep having to remind myself this is a driver car to enjoy, not a show car/trailer queen and it will never be perfect.
I just have too much free time on my hands and with free time I always manage to get myself into trouble.

gmjunkie said:
He Has!!:D Somewhere around the Rear Bumper Brackit's!!;LOL ;LOL :rotfl junk!!

:rotfl :rotfl
Yup "whileyouareatityoumightaswellas" is a bad disease.
Hey Barry why dont you just do a total off the frame restoration, that is your only cure my friend.;LOL

coolhandluke said:
:rotfl :rotfl

Hey Barry why dont you just do a total off the frame restoration, that is your only cure my friend.;LOL

CHL, want to hear what the saddest part is?? When I bought the car almost 2 years ago, it was only approx. 500 miles after a 4-year body-off restoration by the previous owner. He restored it than traded it in for a big block car.

it wasn't an NCRS quality level body-off, but rather just a driver-level body-off restoration but it was in nice shape overall. I'm just trying to improve areas that I didn't feel were done well enough or have come to need attention since than.

BarryK said:
I just have too much free time on my hands and with free time I always manage to get myself into trouble.
If you get too much Free Time,Barry send me some!! I'm going in to Hurricane season here!! :eyerole junk!!

gmjunkie said:
If you get too much Free Time,Barry send me some!! I'm going in to Hurricane season here!! :eyerole junk!!

I know your crazy but that's just plain Nuzts!!!!!!!!!!!:W

BarryK said:
CHL, want to hear what the saddest part is?? When I bought the car almost 2 years ago, it was only approx. 500 miles after a 4-year body-off restoration by the previous owner. He restored it than traded it in for a big block car.

it wasn't an NCRS quality level body-off, but rather just a driver-level body-off restoration but it was in nice shape overall. I'm just trying to improve areas that I didn't feel were done well enough or have come to need attention since than.

I say Go For it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the nice part is you can post pics every day for us to see.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom