Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Who has the highest mileage LT4?

1996 LT4 Topic

How often do you change the Mobil 1 in your LT4?

• Every 3,000 miles like Jiffy Lube tells me to.

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • 4,000-5,000

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • 5,000-6,000

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • 6,000-7,000

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • 7,000-8,000

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 8,000-9,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9,000-10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10,000 or more

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
I just past 133,333 miles... and i was going 33 mph when i looked down. Still going very strong.

I have 187,155 on mine as she sits right now. I bought it in July 2007 with 145,000 on it and drive it every day. It still seems to be plenty strong and uses no oil. I recently switched over to Schaeffer Supreme 9000 full synthetic oil, which has two friction modifiers (with molybdenum) to improve the fuel economy and reduce wear. I change it at 7,500 miles and have noticed 1-1/2 to 2 MPG improvement since the switch. I also switched to Kumho Ecsta ASX tires and have enjoyed those, also. I'm still struggling with the lousy Opti, and will probably eventually go to a Delteq in some form. The engine doesn't like to be lugged, and I have a low speed stumble, even after going through the Opti. So long as you keep the revs above 2,000 or so, she's fine. Looks to me like you gotta get the high voltage out of that thing (the Opti)! Actually, I'm more concerned about the life of the transmission than the LT-4. I love the car!

Just saw a 96 green/tan LT4 with 127K sell for 8K on ebay last week......a very nice, clean Vette. The miles turned me off, otherwise it would've been a great deal. I personally err on the side of caution with anything over 100K, especially an engine/vehicle that is subjected to performance use and hard driving.

Dont know about the highest milage LT4.

But I can vouch for one of the lowest LT4 milage coupes 8400 miles:thumb

Dont know about the highest milage LT4.

But I can vouch for one of the lowest LT4 milage coupes 8400 miles:thumb

What in the world is the point of having a Corvette if you don't drive it! Doesn't sound like anything to brag about to me. I've owned my '96 LT4 CE for 12 years...it had 50k miles on it when I bought it and I've added 138,000 wonderful miles to it since then.

What in the world is the point of having a Corvette if you don't drive it! Doesn't sound like anything to brag about to me. I've owned my '96 LT4 CE for 12 years...it had 50k miles on it when I bought it and I've added 138,000 wonderful miles to it since then.

Hmmm if it wasnt driven I do believe it would have zero miles on it. I purchased it off the original owner in March who had other Vettes that he road raced plus a new Z06. Just because it isnt a daily driver doesn't mean it hasn't been driven. :booty

hey whats up guys im new to this site I have a 96 GrandSport and a 69 Camaro im only 17 years old anyways my GS has 130,529 miles on it is that good ;help awesome site by the way

214k+

I have over 214,000 on my 89 coupe, I bought it new. I've never driven it hard, use it every day. Had a new interior a year or so back and blew a head gasket a couple of years ago. Apart from that all original, looks good and runs well. I regularly get compliments on it.

Just got a 96 CE LT4 with a bit under 50,000. My 85 coupe had 170,000 when I sold it, and was running well. Had the auto trans rebuilt on it at about 160,000.

Not Even On The Same Page

Hi all!

I'm not even on the same page as most of you. A mere 30,000 miles on mine. Only had 22,000 when I got it 2 years ago and apart from the tires, various fluids etc, it's still factory original.

Longest trip since I picked it up (to date) was Toronto to Boston and back and it was fantastic!

Looks like I'll never see the inside of the engine!

Not an LT4 but my L98 is at 202,000 runnin strong, Royal Purple 10w-40!

213,000 beats me!

My 96 LT4 6sp has 209,000 miles and is still running strong.
I have been fortunate to have a great dealer and service agent maintaining the vehicle and it is performing extremely well with little signs of wear.

I have changed the Mobil 1 5w-30 and filter between 4,000 and 5,000 miles consistently and there is no color when it is changed. I probably don't keep it in the engine long enough, but I don't want to break the streak.

I run at 80-100 on the freeways and accelerate hard from 0-60 all the time. I love the sound of the engine over 3500 rpm. I can't wait to get there. My license frame says, "If you passed me, I let you". Should tell you how I drive.

I owned the 72 LT1 and the 92 LT1 and neither one survived my driving. I was amazed when I turned 200K on the 96 LT4. I sweat the day I have to replace it. Few if any replacement LT4's available.

My 96 LT4 6sp has 209,000 miles and is still running strong.
I owned the 72 LT1 and the 92 LT1 and neither one survived my driving. I was amazed when I turned 200K on the 96 LT4. I sweat the day I have to replace it. Few if any replacement LT4's available.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Rebuild components are common as they're shared with all the LT motors.

Rebuild.....Aaaarrrrgh

It's like rebuilt A/C Compressors. they don't act like the original. First 0-60 shot and you need a new clutch if you forgot to turn it off.

Probably go with a new car if I blow this one up. My wife doesn't care for the idea, but, hey, it's my car, isn't it? And, at my age, it may be my last one. 4 new corvettes in 1 lifetime. That's heaven. Am I lucky or what?

No, it isn't the same as a rebuilt A/C compressor because the Chevy Small Block was designed to be rebuilt from the start. There is no reason you can't rebuild any LT motor to be as good or better (if you blueprint it) than new. In an era of increasingly disposable consumer goods, this is one of the exceptions. If you don't rebuild it I guarantee someone else will!

Been there done that!

In 1962 I rebuilt my first engine. A 57 283 to 301 with the power pack, duntov cam and 4:56 rear gears. Blew it up at Sunland Raceway. I rebuilt a 70 'Cuda and I blew that one up at 130 between Ft Hood and San Antonio in '1970'. Balanced and blueprinted a Chrysler 360 in 72 and that lasted about 6 months. (Fastest Cordova in town till the pop)

I don't waste as you can see by the mileage, 209,000 right now. My 94 F250 Balanced Blueprinted 460 with performance intake and headers and other magic gets 15 mpg, city and highway. It has 254,000 miles, 108,000 since the rebuild. Was the tow truck for the hand built engine in the 69 Mustang.

But, I am too tired to do that again. And, the Chevy dealer wants $5,000 to rebuild if I ever needed it. I already checked. That is 10% of the price of 505 hp. Or 5% of 800 hp. 0-60 in 3.5 sec. warrantied for 100,000 miles.

Yep, someone else will rebuild it. I will have a new one.

But, it isn't showing any signs of wear and the 250,000 is coming up. It still does 0-60 very quickly and "they only pass me if I let them." I definitely give the LT4 a thumbs up. It handles my thrill driving and keeps on giving. Damn, I love Corvettes. Gives a guy an ego. And, if they can't catch up, they can't throw you the finger.

I know I drive like an idiot, but it is only because I can. Porsches probably handle better with 4 wheel drive and Farrari's and Lambo's are much faster top end, but, they ALL have to "catch up" before they can out-perform me.

You probably saw me and my lazer plate pass you at some outrageous speed at one time or another and said, "Some cop should catch him and give him a ticket." I know there is a $300,000 F4 Porsche in Encino that would like a 2nd chance. And, a couple of $250,000 Lambo's at a restaurant in Riverside still want to know what left the cloud of smoke they were sitting in. Hell, it was just my 96 C4 Corvette LT4 with over 200,000 miles on the engine. And I grin as I pass the Chips shaking their speed gun wondering why it isn't working.

I will probably die before this LT4. Then my wife can give it to someone else to rebuild. It will be like the $50 Corvette found in the old barn.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom