Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who insures your ZR-1 ?

95ZR1#418 said:
Leland West

Grundy wouldn't insure me until I owned the car for 1 year, not to metion the person i talked with on the phone had never heard of a ZR-1 & said he didn't think they would cover one- it needed to be an exotic... I went with Leland for $500/year deal. It's up for the winter most of the year.

Bob, I got the same run-around speech about the car not being considered exotic but yet I got turned down for the car being to new:eyerole

Jay

I know that the insurance world is all about how old you are and blah blah blah...any ideas as to what I should do? I am in the market for a Z...looking for a 91 to 93 model. It is not going to be my daily driver but I do want to be able to drive it whenever I please without have mileage limits. I dont think I could enjoy it to its full extent without have pleasure trips in it. Should I get insurance like you guys are talking about or should I get normal everyday insrance? I am 20 yrs old and have the funds. I wasnt sure if these companies you guys were talking about would laugh in my face and be a waste of time or be helpful. Any info on this would be nice. Thanks.
Josh

YESZREE said:
That is a good quote but...there is no bodilly injury or property damage. I e-mailed them and asked to add these carriers. Has anyone else used these guys?

They declined to cover me...no explanations.

State Farm here........I have several cars and a truck with them......been with them about 6 years...

State Farm has a "Classic" plan for cars 10 years old and older. Get to know your Agent, and they can get you a great rate with Stated Value coverage...Mileage is limited to 5,000 per year, but thats about all the toys get anyway. My 951 Turbo Porsche is just $196.00 per year...of course, a clean drivers record is required!

ZR1 Insurance

I think "agreed value" is the type of policy to get. Check older posts for those with bitter experience, but I believe a "stated value" policy still gives the insurance company a lot of leeway to dicker with you over depreciation, repair parts sources, car's condition at time of accident, etc. With an agreed value policy, they just have to pay for repairs or cash you out in case of a non-rebuildable wreck, up to the dollar limits of the policy.

My 92 ZR1 insurance is with USAA, but I will probably go to a collector policy that is an agreed value policy if I can find a decent outfit that works in both California and Nevada. I get no real break for the age or use of the car from USAA.

Ditto on the clean driving record required comments. That used to be tough for me when the limit was 55. I am doing a lot better with the 65 and 70 limits.

Insurance

Here I go again with the insurance stuff....anyway, I am a "Good Neighbor" Agent in Maryland.
To all of you who expressed your satisfaction and tenure with the "Good Neighbor" company, thanks for your support.
I am about to pick up a '93 40th Anniversary ZR1 and the rate will be $242.20 for six months. But now hear this, all the writers on here are constantly mentioning the coverage on the car and at what price, but rarely do you guys ever get into BI/PD limits (that's Bodily Injury/Property Damage). My policy will have BI/PD of 250/500/100 and Uninsured the same. As I tell many of my clients, are you buying the insurance to keep your tags, or buying it to keep your house?
Yes, State Farm does have a collector car classification for vehicles over 10 years old, but they must be of "...limited production or exceptionally fine workmanship is a rarity or of historical interest". For the complete definition and slight restrictions on use, ask a good neighbor, but make sure he cares about cars.
More importantly, Maryland has an insurance quirk that allows for UNDERINSURANCE. Using the UM limits I have for PD ($100k) if I am in an accident with some rocket-scientist who only has PD limits of $15 k (all you can get with Grundy, I believe) and he's just done 30k damage on my car, his co will pay the 15k limit he has and I may then use the difference between my UPD limit ($100k) and his 15k and I'll have $85k underinsured coverage to pay the rest of my damage. Then State Farm will subrogate the amount form Mr Rocket-scientist. And, before you ask, no, it will not be cahrged to me, cannot be cancelled because of it and mr Rocket-scientist ends up in litigation for some time.
Think about this, guys, if you only have the minimum state limit wherever you live, be prepared to come out of your pocket if you do damage.
Any questions, I'll be happy to respond.
Dennis

Lyle Haws said:
State Farm has a "Classic" plan for cars 10 years old and older. Get to know your Agent, and they can get you a great rate with Stated Value coverage...Mileage is limited to 5,000 per year, but thats about all the toys get anyway. My 951 Turbo Porsche is just $196.00 per year...of course, a clean drivers record is required!
Okay, I have been going rounds with my State Farm Agent for the past few days trying to get a new policy hammered out for the 91 ZR1 (which I should be driving tomorrow!) Anyway, to get an agreed-value policy as a classic car would only set me back about $250 a year. They told me that my mileage limit would be 2000 miles! I said that wasn't enough (mileage). The only other option would be to insure it as a regular vehicle at a cost of $580 semianually! Are you serious? Granted, I am a little younger (25), but I am married and have a daily driver, as does my wife. Further, my record consists of one speeding ticket! All this and I drive over 50,000 miles/year for work. I told them I would be shopping around. If I could get 5,000 miles per year, I would be happy to do it!

Last Ride said:
Okay, I have been going rounds with my State Farm Agent for the past few days trying to get a new policy hammered out for the 91 ZR1 (which I should be driving tomorrow!) Anyway, to get an agreed-value policy as a classic car would only set me back about $250 a year. They told me that my mileage limit would be 2000 miles! I said that wasn't enough (mileage). The only other option would be to insure it as a regular vehicle at a cost of $580 semianually! Are you serious? Granted, I am a little younger (25), but I am married and have a daily driver, as does my wife. Further, my record consists of one speeding ticket! All this and I drive over 50,000 miles/year for work. I told them I would be shopping around. If I could get 5,000 miles per year, I would be happy to do it!
You can get 5000 per year with State Farm. You can insure it as a classic (if it's 10 years old or more, limited production (what ZR1 isn't?), but you have to limit the use (no daily drivers here). If you have any questions, private email me and I'll help you out. I've only been doing this as a State farm Agent for 25 1/2 years, so I think I know what I'm doing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom