Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who Uses GPS NAV Unit's In There Midyear Or Other Vette's

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
I was thinking about buying the Garmin 2720 Street Pilot for the trip out to BG. But the problem I have is that'll never be able to hear that weenie speaker in the unit due to the 502 and the Sweet Thunder pipes. I tried to research Gamin and even downloaded the PDF manual ..but it doesn't say anything about an external speaker out or jack..WTF..??

I even called them..but the hold time for info is 35 F min...:ugh

Any how anyone have any info..??
:beer

I have a 2620 (I think same as 2720, but you don't have to wire in the dead reconning on your speedometer). I has a extenal antenna and a USB conection, no speaker connection except the cigarette lighter one.
You are correct, you can NOT hear a durn thing over the side pipes, except at idle. (On the other hand, my wife likes it, she gets tired of "Off route, recalculating" in that whinny female voice.) You don't really need to hear it, the visual cues are more than adequate. Theft, in an older car (I have a roadster) is always a worry, there is nowhere to put it.
I really like the Garmin, the updates are $75/year, and it is 99% accurate in it's directions. Mostly use in the C-5, but occasionaly it makes it's way to the C-2.

I might be wrong but if the same connectors with it , you may get different speaker with more volumes power. I sure there is another way to do it. I know Radio Snack has something that do more speaker volume power. I remember when I has cb radio, I used that when I need more power speaker than rather listen to bad muffler one time. So I hear road traffic.

DecBuck said:
look at this site,,,
down below it said external speaker.
http://www.tigergps.com/garminstreetpilot2720.html

Yeah I see it thanks.. That's F up..I also downloaded the PDF manual and guess what... Doesn't say anthing about a speaker .

Now I also called Best Buy and had one of there guys look at the unit. There's a headphone output right on the unit. The owners manual doesn't even show this on the rear shot of the GPS.

rohard said:
Assuming the same layout as a 2620, the "external speaker" is the little bitty one that is in the cigaratte lighter power source.

Thanks... You think the manual would cover this....:mad

:beer

I have the Garmin 3600, it is based on a PDA and you can get it with a car kit which include exernal speaker. I have bought one for each of my kids and my son liked his so well that he bought his fiance one for her masters graduation gift.

You can get refurbished Garmin 3600 units on Ebay for around $200......when they are brand new they run close to $500. For $200 you can't go wrong.

my 2 cents.....

firstgear said:
I have the Garmin 3600, it is based on a PDA and you can get it with a car kit which include exernal speaker. I have bought one for each of my kids and my son liked his so well that he bought his fiance one for her masters graduation gift.

You can get refurbished Garmin 3600 units on Ebay for around $200......when they are brand new they run close to $500. For $200 you can't go wrong.

my 2 cents.....

Heh.. I'm learning here.. Thanks...:beer

I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips both on a laptop and a smartphone and I've used Magellan in a rental car.
You can't beat Streets and Trips on a laptop for value and with a bluetooth GPS receiver it is great; plus you have the portability and added versatility of the laptop. The smartphone version is not very good though, but I guess they had to trim a lot from the full version. The Magellan worked nicer but it was hugely overpriced.
My verdict is that if cost is no object take the Magellan otherwise go with Streets and Trips. And with the way technology keeps improving, why invest heavily in the latest and greatest when it will be surpassed in a year or two.

safety_match said:
I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips both on a laptop and a smartphone and I've used Magellan in a rental car.
You can't beat Streets and Trips on a laptop for value and with a bluetooth GPS receiver it is great; plus you have the portability and added versatility of the laptop. The smartphone version is not very good though, but I guess they had to trim a lot from the full version. The Magellan worked nicer but it was hugely overpriced.
My verdict is that if cost is no object take the Magellan otherwise go with Streets and Trips. And with the way technology keeps improving, why invest heavily in the latest and greatest when it will be surpassed in a year or two.

Good Info.. I allready have S&T on the Puter..... I Like it. Like you say the GPS Option with S&T is very nice and much cheaper then this Years Tech.

I think I'll pass on the Garmin this year and Nav By Map..;)

The route you plan to take shouldn't be hard to follow once you get past Philly, its getting that first Hunnert miles from the East coast thats a PITA;)

bossvette said:
The route you plan to take shouldn't be hard to follow once you get past Philly, its getting that first Hunnert miles from the East coast thats a PITA;)

Buying this unit has been a long time thought. This would have been just an excuse to get it. I've traveled west many a time ....so I know the deal. Not worried about finding my way..been do-en that for many a year:L

Since I'm getten a Hummer H3x..I decided not to get the Garmin unit as I'll probably order it with the DVD Nav Unit built in. The Garmin thought was an idea in regards to being able to move it from Vehical to Vehical.

Becides it's fun to NAV off a map while your driving at 70 mph by yourself.:L

I usually plan my route in advance and then depend on the map once I am completely lost.;LOL
I have a Magellan GPS one of the early ones that I use when Hunting in new places it has saved my butt several times in Southern Ohio. It doesnt talk to you or anything though just tells you distance and direction it was a little over $300 when I bought it.

bossvette said:
I usually plan my route in advance and then depend on the map once I am completely lost.;LOL
I have a Magellan GPS one of the early ones that I use when Hunting in new places it has saved my butt several times in Southern Ohio. It doesnt talk to you or anything though just tells you distance and direction it was a little over $300 when I bought it.

Well Since I don't hunt little fury creatures...or big fury creatures...:L It would only be used for cruzen. I figure ..no sense in spending $800-$1000 Bucks on a Garmin when I can put that towards the cost of the Hummer NAV unit..and that ain't cheap.

I usually make the wrong turn first time out when there's a bunch of left and rights turns. And the map is what get's me lost in the first place..
:L

I guess that I am a GPS junkie. I have a Garmin and a tomtom for the bikes and factory hi-price crap in the company cars and I was installing tomtom on our new smart phones while reading this post. For reliability and durability Garmin is the only choice.

All of the hi-end Garmin units that I have looked at had an earphone jack. Their promotional products did not.

As far the navigation ability and usability of the routs that the machine finds I like Route66 and TomTom best.

If I were stuck with only one choice it would be tomtom on a hi-end PDA. The flexibility you get with the PDA makes up for any inconvenience of having to have a separate GPS.

If you use a HP PDA in a C2 with side-pipes be sure to buy the extended warranty; Thunder killed two HPs just think what a BB would do to its logic.

Yeah, this ain’t very relevant but I like jawing with you guys.:D

SPANISHVETTS said:
I guess that I am a GPS junkie. I have a Garmin and a tomtom for the bikes and factory hi-price crap in the company cars and I was installing tomtom on our new smart phones while reading this post. For reliability and durability Garmin is the only choice.

All of the hi-end Garmin units that I have looked at had an earphone jack. Their promotional products did not.

As far the navigation ability and usability of the routs that the machine finds I like Route66 and TomTom best.

If I were stuck with only one choice it would be tomtom on a hi-end PDA. The flexibility you get with the PDA makes up for any inconvenience of having to have a separate GPS.

If you use a HP PDA in a C2 with side-pipes be sure to buy the extended warranty; Thunder killed two HPs just think what a BB would do to its logic.

Yeah, this ain’t very relevant but I like jawing with you guys.:D

Yeah, this ain’t very relevant but I like jawing with you guys

I think it is.. Right on topic.. Always good to pick up info from experienced user's as youself.
The problem here is I have to stop every now and then to check the route. Not having a passenger to nav is a PITA unless you know the route well.

The problem here is I have to stop every now and then to check the route. Not having a passenger to nav is a PITA unless you know the route well.
Once you travel with a GPS you will never want to be without one.

What I like best is NOT having the wife turning maps upside-down in the car or burying her head in the Michelin Guide when we are in a strange city and I need her help watching for street signs.:mad

Other pluses, the GPS never Belches, Farts, needs to Pee nor does it get a Headache.;)

The Garmin survived 2 trips to southern Morocco on the KTM with out a glitch while my buddy’s TomTom crapped from every day hi-way use. My only gripe with Garmin is that the map does not scroll as smoothly as the TomTom buy you would never notice it unless you stare at the map while you are driving.

I have 2610's and have had the speakers turned off since I bought them.

Don't need them. You will find her VERY irritating. Wouldn't it be nice if all women came with an "off" switch for the speaker? :cool

Kid_Again said:
I have 2610's and have had the speakers turned off since I bought them.

Don't need them. You will find her VERY irritating. Wouldn't it be nice if all women came with an "off" switch for the speaker? :cool

2610 - Menu:Options:Guidance:Speak Key Only (!!)
Push her button for one-time infowhine. ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom