Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Who uses Marvel Mystery Oil or Z-max???

Okay, I got the guts to admit I've used MMO for years; not often but when I felt it necessary. I add it to oil whenever I hear that very slight tic, tic when lifters start to gum up from time to time (GM 350's are notorious for this). My most recent use was in my '95 LT1 with 50k miles. I've always used Mobil 1 and the oil gets changed every 3-5k miles (or once a driving season). Three years ago I started noticing small whisps of smoke on cold and sometime hot startup. Thinking my valve seals were getting a little hard I used MMO for that one season. Viola! no more whisps of smoke and my interstate mileage even seemed to increase. That application stopped my valve seal leak-by. It must have softened the seals a bit. We also have a '99 Grand Am GT that has been babied (it only has 40,000 miles). About a year ago I started hearing a slight tic tic on cold start up. This only lasted for about 2 minutes so I figured valve seals again. Ok...time for MMO. You guessed it the MMO cleaned some of the lifter varnish and the ticking stopped.

I trust the product and I know several of my old-timer friends do too. Hope this helps.

It sure cleans valve stems as you have found. Airplane A&Ps recommended MMO in the fuel for our 360 cu in air cooled Lycoming to stop valve sticking. Worked great; eliminated the need for a head R&R. I use it in my cars for the same thing as you do.

Now thats the user experience I was looking for!

Sounds like its good at cleaning up valves!:cool

I'm dating myself some but I've used Marvel Mystery Oil in the past. It's great lubricant for air tools - just squirt a little in the air inlet and hook up the air hose and give the tool a blast. My father used Marvel Mystery Oil to clean carbon out of engines by pouring it down the carb with the engine running. It's safer than using water but takes longer. I still have a partial can of Mystery Oil in my garage and I still use it to lubricate my air tools. I don't pour it down carbs any more and I don't use it in the gas tank or in the engine oil.

Oops, I used to work (34 years) for an air tool company, (I-R) and many of the air tools that came in for repair were lubricated (?) with Marvel Mystery oil. Seal were swollen; gasket gone and blades had turned to mush. Reciprocating motors bore similar failures.

Most of the tools I speak of were in industrial use not those of a seldom-used home mechanic.

I've been using Chevron's "Techron" in the gas tank for years.

I don't have any experience with any other product. Techron
comes highly recommended by most GM techs I've spoken to.

I recall in my high school days...1946, I'd gone up to my classmate's father's ranch & while there we ran a can of mystery oil thru the carb, it was recommended at the time.

There was a cloud of smoke you would not believe. Scared the heck out of us. Being it was a heavily wooded area we thought we better beat it before the sheriff showed. Sure enough half way down the mountain a fire truck comes racing up the road. We thought sure we'd end up in the bucket.

Excuse me for rattling on, but at my age it's excusable.

Been There Done That.I guess back then when oil was like crappy It helped fortify it somewhat...Who Knows.I think I still have it..It's an Atomizer Jar assy' bolted to the firewall and a Vacuum hose attached to a vacuum fitting say on the carb. and Marvel would be sucked in for upper cylinder lubrication.

Been There Done That.I guess back then when oil was like crappy It helped fortify it somewhat...Who Knows.I think I still have it..It's an Atomizer Jar assy' bolted to the firewall and a Vacuum hose attached to a vacuum fitting say on the carb. and Marvel would be sucked in for upper cylinder lubrication.

I remember the jar being located in the engine compartment & it had a line going somewhere.

I can't remember the exact name...it may have been upper cylinder lube or something like that.

Z-MAX
would Karol Shelby lie.?

In a heartbeat for the right money, and Bruton Smith, owner of Z-Max has the right money.

In a heartbeat for the right money, and Bruton Smith, owner of Z-Max has the right money.

Now I know why the new dragstrip at Lowes carries Z-Max as the title sponsor.

Smith is one of the greatest promoters in motorsports. It's a shame he couldn't limit his promotional abilities to racetracks and stay out of the snake oil business.

Now I know why the new dragstrip at Lowes carries Z-Max as the title sponsor.

Smith is one of the greatest promoters in motorsports. It's a shame he couldn't limit his promotional abilities to racetracks and stay out of the snake oil business.

:werd:money, money, money

zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.

Back to the question: The following is just part of a FTC ruling on ZMax claims. It was so ordered over 10 years ago. I think they need to revisit it.

From the findings:

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]"IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that Defendants, directly or through any corporation, partnership, subsidiary, division, or other device, and their officers, agents, servants, and employees, and all other persons or entities in active concert or participation with them who receive actual notice of this Order, by personal service or otherwise, in connection with the manufacturing, labeling, advertising, promotion, offering for sale, sale or distribution of zMAX, or any other product for use in any motor vehicle, in or affecting commerce, shall not make any representation, in any manner, expressly or by implication, that such product:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, helvetica]
    [*]increases gas mileage;
    [*]increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%, or by any other percentage, miles-per-gallon, dollar, or other figure;
    [*]reduces engine wear;
    [*]reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;
    [*]reduces engine corrosion;
    [*]extends engine life; or
    [*]reduces emissions,
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, helvetica]unless at the time the representation is made, Defendants possess and rely upon competent and reliable evidence, which when appropriate must be competent and reliable scientific evidence, that substantiates the representation.[/FONT]"

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]There was also a monetary assessment of $1,000,000.00
[/FONT]

This is a fallacy... Argument from Authority. A modern use is "celebrity spokespersons" in advertisements: that product is good because your favorite celebrity endorses it.

CG

HEY, its karrol shelby yer talkin about, wet nose..

Seal were swollen;

Some 'Miracle in a bottle' magic potions WILL swell seals and organic parts.

Ford had a problem in late 80's with auto trannys' seals in valve bores, and maintaining tranny fluid pressure. Aamco's solution was a $990 rebuild. A Ford tranny tech told me what it was, and the fix - Trans-X.

It worked like a charm. I even know how how the chemical swells the rubber, with an organic chemistry background yup...

Gas mileage increas-ers? Ain't gonna' happen. Not without an ignition retardant (like lead in the fuel).

Wear retardants? Ain't gonna' happen. UNLESS, you have heavier lube (more friction), or Teflon/plastic oil additive (more friction). Both will increase fuel consumption, BTW ;)

From the findings:

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]"IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that Defendants, directly or through any corporation, partnership, subsidiary, division, or other device, and their officers, agents, servants, and employees, and all other persons or entities in active concert or participation with them who receive actual notice of this Order, by personal service or otherwise, in connection with the manufacturing, labeling, advertising, promotion, offering for sale, sale or distribution of zMAX, or any other product for use in any motor vehicle, in or affecting commerce, shall not make any representation, in any manner, expressly or by implication, that such product:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, helvetica]
    [*]increases gas mileage;
    [*]increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%, or by any other percentage, miles-per-gallon, dollar, or other figure;
    [*]reduces engine wear;
    [*]reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;
    [*]reduces engine corrosion;
    [*]extends engine life; or
    [*]reduces emissions,
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, helvetica]unless at the time the representation is made, Defendants possess and rely upon competent and reliable evidence, which when appropriate must be competent and reliable scientific evidence, that substantiates the representation.[/FONT]"

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]There was also a monetary assessment of $1,000,000.00
[/FONT]

:thumb

Great post, Catbert!

What I think is critical to remember is the power of words. Words without the credibility to back them up don't bring a lot of value to discussion. They are merely opinions- not facts.

While I personally have never thought much of claims that gas mileage would increase, I have often thought such claims may be presumptuous by manufacturers. This supports my thoughts completely.

Again, great post. Thanks for finding the reference & posting it here.:upthumbs

Notice Ol' Shell says "It works" Hows that for a nonspecific claim.;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL

Marvel Mystery Oil

Marvel Mystery Oil was originally developed to stop the exhaust valves from sticking on the Franklin air-cooled automobile engine. The engine was later adapted for use in the Stinson 108 series of airplanes. It worked well for what it was designed for but I doubt if you need it on a modern engine, although it won't hurt anything. I also agree the it makes a good lubricant for air-powered tools.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom