Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why Auto?

Y

younggun

I'm wondering when I am looking for a vette why are their so many autos out their. I know for people in the city a auto is the only practical way to have a vette but I don't live in or near a city so why so many autos and no sticks,

Don't you get a vette to drive it, and not just go along for the ride.

I agree. In my opinion, you have a car like a Vette, might as well get the full experience. But some people just don't like shifting, I guess. I don't understand either, my man. :confused:

The manuals are already purchased, love the mn6

Because that is what the public wants... The sales numbers say it... Besides... if your a real hard driver, the auto is a better transmission overall... C5 manual trans are not all that tough according to the experts...

who cares what the experts say

its still a great feeling shifting your own gears instead of the transmisson doing all the work

younggun said:

its still a great feeling shifting your own gears instead of the transmisson doing all the work

The people who care are the ones who have to spend money to replace those transmissions. That is, if they are in fact not as tough as the auto trannies.

Some people just don't like to shift. Some people aren't coordinated enough to shift. And there are those who think that driving a real manual is like it is in the movies. And when they finally get behind a manual and realize that it's not like the movies, they opt for the auto.

younggun said:

I agree a stick is the way to go.. But consider if your wife wants to enjoy the same thrills as you and any considerate man would have to agree Auto is most common so the wife can enjoy the car also. I'm sure there will be a controversy on this statement but that's not the intent. The stats show that although women do drive stick the more common choice is auto...

younggun said:
I guess their are few experts in your life... and
I qualified that statement with "hard driving" Some people don't want to step up to a new trans before they sell or trade the car in... do you ?

No doubt... that is why I have two ZF 6 speed cars... automatics have their place though... besides... they shift faster, or can be made to shift faster than a manual trans...

i get the point about people not likeing or not being able to drive a stick, but why is it like for every 10 auto theres only 1 stick, and why are the manuals less durable then the auto.

And for a wife why do women need a auto, i hade to learn to drive stick at first whats stoping them

One reason why I think the manual would be less durable is because of incorrect or speed shifting. With the auto, the computer does the shifting and it can't be forced.

younggun said:
i get the point about people not likeing or not being able to drive an auto, but why is it like for every 10 auto theres only 1 stick, and why are the manuals less durable then the auto.

And for a wife why do women need a auto, i hade to learn to drive stick at first whats stoping them

Bottom line the manufacturer is about supply and demand. The demand is greater for auto then stick. So manufacturer is just supplying demand and charging you extra to boot.. Free enterprise

I am very hard on clutches, and I don't like replacing them.

Therefore I have autos on both my Vettes

Besides the fact that driving a stick shift in heavy traffic is a pain the @ss..

Besides the fact that many wives don't drive sticks..

Besides the fact that most automatics are faster accelerating than the average stick shift driver...

Who knows...?

I've had a 1999 C5 automatic that I loved (and drag raced down at englishtown) and a C5 Z06 six speed manual.

Both great cars..both worthy of the corvette nameplate.

I will say I always felt more at ease throwing the keys to a valet with the 99 A4 much more than with the six speed Z06..

With the six speed manual I park the car myself

To me the repair is worth the excitement, although I don't really think that it's much off like you say. Just doesn't sound right.

JBsC5 said:
Besides the fact that many wives don't drive sticks..

But isn't that a good thing?:L:L:L

I know autos are faster in acceleration but where i live with hills and twisty roads, an auto very rarely (exept on the highway) picks the right gear, and for preformence the auto is slower on the backroads when you really start to push it, especially going up hills

younggun said:
I know autos are faster in acceleration but where i live with hills and twisty roads, an auto very rarely (exept on the highway) picks the right gear, and for preformence the auto is slower on the backroads when you really start to push it, especially going up hills

Thats why they have a manual gearshift lever with 1,2,3,4... so you can pick the right gear for the road conditions... and what about the "slap stick" many of todays cars offer.... the kind where a simple bump either up or down gives you the gear you want to use next... Just because you have an automatic doesn't mean you leave it in "Drive", or worse "Overdrive" all the time... In fact... if you drive a 84 to 9? something with the 700R4 auto trans and leave it in overdrive while driving in the city you will overwork the overdrive unit... it will probably fail sooner than it normally would if you let it shift to overdrive at low speeds with low throttle %...

Okay i get that for most people a stick is just not for them, I just wonder is driveing a auto just as much fun as a stick, even though the car is really doing half of the driving.

Do corvettes have the option of a "slap stick":ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom