Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why Auto?

manual all the way

a corvette can have automatics and im fine with that, but its a SPORTS car they suspose to have a manual i work on a farm and drive tractors and pickups and semis and all manuals....so im kinda use to them but the city folk a auto is nice and u get the thrill of a vette. but for all of us who have a manual there is a sensation thats just good when u are in control of shifting..u arent waiting for it to shift hoping nothing goes wrong (pry wont) but when i spent bout 2 years lookin for a corvette to by on the top of the list was manual....but thats my opinion

I was just wondering (since we are talking about sticks) is it better (for daily driving not pushing it hard) to start in first or in second.

Stick shifts start in first...even when not pushing the car..

In an automatic...My fastest times were found just leaving it in drive and pushing down the pedal as the light turned green...(no power braking..as it ruined the times at the track.)

does starting in second do anything to the trans, 'cause i was told that it doesn't, but i need second opinion on that

Manuals and the thrill of the open road....

We don't have that here. It's stop&go mostly and the thrill of shifting a Vette is quickly replaced with the tedium of shifting.

I love my Vette and if I lived in North Dekota or Montana or Texas I would drive a manual. For all two months that the weather permits. But I live here and shifting is work not play.

IMHO

D97

younggun said:
I was just wondering (since we are talking about sticks) is it better (for daily driving not pushing it hard) to start in first or in second.
You want to minimize clutch slippage... unless you like changing clutches...
So... if your stopped... start in 1st...

My car is one of the few exceptions... with 4.30 gears vs stock 3.45... I can start in second if I choose... or if I forget to shift back to 1st... 99.9 % of the time I start in 1st...

Remember... all clutch slippage is clutch wear... why speed up the wear process ?

Yeah my cars a auto but i would much rather it be a stick, alot more funner to drive!

clutch wear is about the only problem i see with a manual, but for me i would rather see them burn up then not to be able to have fun

It like gas for me, no matter how expensive it gets I still won't slow down and conserve any.

younggun said:
clutch wear is about the only problem i see with a manual, but for me i would rather see them burn up then not to be able to have fun

It like gas for me, no matter how expensive it gets I still won't slow down and conserve any.

Yes, clutch wear would be a concern for me as well. But I guess it also depends on how hard and how often you let it go.

As for it being expensive, we're talking about a lot of money for a new clutch if you're not doing the work yourself. I would dread to have to replace a clutch because I refuse to let anyone work on my car and it would be a real PITA to do it myself.:L

I not saying that i would drive it hard all the time, I'm just saying that I would drive it hard sometimes, but i wouldn't be worried when the bill came for the new clutch (but this is just me)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom