Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why did you buy a C4?

I'm going to buy an '89 because:

1) They have a body that doesn't rust.
2) The steel parts are heavy gage for the most part and can be maintained over the years.
3) It uses a SBC engine.
4) It handles better than your average car, even if modified to make it ride better.
5) It does or can be made to have and handle fantastic mid-range acelleration to pass SUVs (Simply Ugly Vehicles), PUs, semis and other riff-raff on the road.
6) It is fairly easy to return the car to '60's technology if desired.
7) It's the most cost-effective car to get 1-6 above (if you can do your own work).

I have been driving C4s for years, and not once have I regretted it. When the C4 was introduced in 1983, I immediately fell in love with the body style. It was light years ahead of the previous model, and I salivated over the ads and the cutaways and the reviews and even the t.v. commercial. Then I started seeing them on the road occasionally, and I loved the car even more. I still believe that the C4's shape is among the best of Corvette design, it's small, simple, and clean. I like all Corvettes, but the car which came after the C4 seemed to be the opposite of all the things I like about the car (except for horsepower) which is probably why I'll never own a C5. The C5 is just too big and lumpy. Even at 16 years old, my car still draws stares and people wanting to race. When I park it somewhere, people sometimes take pictures of it, or walk up to me and ask me all kinds of questions about the car; this happens a lot at gas stations. There is something about Corvettes that draws people together, and the C4 symbolizes the best of what this car is all about. Based on its beautiful body style, the C6 has the potential to continue this tradition, which is why I'm glad the C6 returned to its roots in the current model: small, trim, stylish. I plan on buying a C6 within a couple of years, but I'll always keep my 89 coupe, the car is just too special to part with.

I agree Paul..
the C4 has always been a favorite with me..recently (2 weeks ago)purchased an
84 coupe that was taken very well care of..red/red ..1984 car of the year..love the ride like on rails and love the way you kinda melt into the interior once on the road ...hard to stop !!
great thread paul

If you wonder why you want a Vette then you shouldn't buy one. Sports car, speed, power, American. What more can a person want. The C-4 still retains many of the classic Vette characteristics. Most of those looks disappeared with the C-5. C-5's look like many other sports cars. A novice will look a C-5 and say what car is that? They don't ask what kind of car a C-4 is.

I have allways liked vettes and loved the 85-87 coupe, I liked the wheels and thought the tpi engine was the coolest thing, style wise at least. I dreamed of getting an 87 (because of the aluminum heads and roller rockers) dark red with tan interior and a 4 speed. I was in a car wreck in 1999 and hurt my back, after settling the insurance, since i didn't get enough money to help ,I decided to buy a cheap vette to take my mind off my back and at least get a little fun out of it. I looked all over Ohio and couldn't find any thing that didn't need ten thousand dollars of work that I could afford then ,I was just taking a saturday morning ride with my wife and in a small town we were going threw I saw a dark red 87 with tan interior...we stopped and it had 42,000 miles so I went and asked the price, it was about $6,000 over my range so I told them if some one traded a cheap high mile vette in on it to call me , any way they came down to less than I told them I could spend with out me asking..... now its mine, my dream car!!!! but, then I got a medical bill that I thought was paid- for more than what I paid for the vette . I'm making payment on the bill, but I feel guilty when I drive the vette, and I can't get myself to sell it. I think the fun of cleaning it and going to cruises is worth it.( I hope)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom