Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why did you buy a C4?

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
We just got back from another after dinner Dairy Queen run in the CE. Had the top down, about 75 degrees out. The early spring weather in Chicago is beautiful this year. So this brings me to my question. Why did you buy a C4? Here is my reason.

I loved my 88 convertible. I still prefer the 84 to 88 dash layout over the later C4. I like the early body style front and rear better because it is old now and you don’t see that many anymore. I wanted something with more power. Also we wanted something special not just another run of the mill Corvette (not saying Corvettes are run of the mill, they are all special). We thought about getting an early C5. But they are still on the downward spiral price wise. Besides you see C5's on the road one after another. Not really special. C5 Pace cars are unusual but in my opinion the C5 pace cars are but ugly! Dingy yellow wheels, Yuk! C3's are too uncomfortible for the trips we take in the summer. Price wise they are going up, but decided against them. We thought long and hard about getting a ZR1 this time but decided it had be another convertible. That took out the ZR1's. So the next best thing is the LT4. So after doing some searching we decided on a Collector Edition LT4 convertible with the rare red interior, only 68 optioned this way. So there you have it. That is why we chose a C4.

C4 Ride

I have this discussion with a lot of C5 drivers of which I'm one (99 FRC). No question my 99 C5 is a better car all the way around except......it just does not give me the pleasure of my 96 Grand Sport. I love the way the C4 wraps around you and the way I can "toss" it into corners. I'll sell my 99 long before the C4 goes.

Terry

possible owner

I'm 17 and always wanted a vette since i was about 5, so for 12 years dreaming unitl a few days ago i saw a 84 looks good but i don't know if its the right on for me, so a few tips would be nice about trying to find a good c4 or even a c5 to start with.

Always loved the C4 style back in the days. In 1988 I was in the auto biz on the sales side for Chevrolet. Being a car enthusiast I was one of the few that understood Corvettes and for that matter trucks too. I had sold the only 88 35th Anniv car that we had (Chevy only made 2050 of them) As I was delivering the new 35th in 88 to a hot shot New York attorney I commented to him how I thought the white on white was stunning!! I also told him that one day I intended on purchasing one. In 2001 I got mine. Today the car is still immaculate and has just bit over 29k miles on it. On a bright sunny day with the roof off the car just draws stares. Never mind the color the C4 always had that razor sharp jet fighter feeling while driving. I recently got the 71 BB and its night and day driving them. Love them both!!!!Both cars put a grin on face !!!:D

Anthony

Like younggun, I have wanted a Corvette since the first time I saw one. Just a little different though, I was about 13 when I first saw one and I got mine about 1.5 years ago when I was 54. Oh well, I have it now. I drove a C5 first, I think it was a 2001. Then about a week later I drove the C4 that I bought. Mine is an '86 and I love the styling, especially the rear and the way it handles. Where else can you get this level of performanace for this kind of money?

like others have said, i had wanted a corvette since i was about 5 years old. i just bought my first vette, c4 at age 22. i went to look at it and absolutely fell in love with it. i love the styling of the 84-89 with the sharp lines. i like the later c4's as well but its just something about these that just catch my eye. i took it for a test drive and knew that i had to have it. its not the fastest vette i have ever driven by far, but the ride and the handling are amazing. plus the fact that if you chose to the 84 c4 can run on 87 octane pump gas.

I bought my '90 for several reasons...the C4 is near the end of the devaluation cycle and I can't lose much money on it, I like the "old style" round tail lights but I also like the newer style dash.

The colour is red of course and if I'm going to have a fun car it will be a convertible.
My only regret is that I bought an automatic so that my wife could drive it but she doesn't care to. She has since told me that if I wanted a 6-speed I should have bought one...oh well...

There is a world of difference between a c4 and c5. I will take my 01 over my 93 any day of the week and twice on Sunday

I bought a 96 LT4 CE because it's the newest and most refined C4. Oh, and it's mad crazy fast. Price was not a factor.

The main thrust of the C4 generation was pure performance. And that's why, despite being much older, at the autocrosses I've been to, it's a toss up as to whether a C4 or a C5 takes the best time of day in either stock or modified classes.

I've never felt attracted to the C5's. They're civilized. And that was their point. They're fast because they're newer technology. But they're definately more comfort oriented and less race-oriented than the C4's were.

That and I never could get over that big ugly butt. To my eyes, C4 and C3 vettes are freakin hot looking. While C5's always made me say 'What did they do to my favorite car?! It used to look so awesome!"

Does annoy me when the C5 guys assume their car is better than mine. The LT4 vette is not to be looked down upon. Mine has cooked many a C5, Z06 or not. :D

Not to say that the C5's suck or something. They certainly don't. I'm just saying that they're not to my personal taste and they aren't necessarily faster just because they're newer.

- Skant

My personal observation... C5 looks nice from the outside, especially the black color is so goooooood. But from the interior it is a very "peacefull" looking car. C5 interior just does not get my blood boiling :) like the C4 does. C4 interior is like a cockpit. It is rather small and not that easy to get in and out but really surrounds the driver very well.

The Corvette had always been my favorite car since I was a little kid.I have always wanted 1 and when I finally was in a position to get 1 I had no paticular model in mind(I love them all).After looking around I determined that pound for pound and for the $ the C4 was the way to go.

Why a C4?

Hi All,
I was thinking about just a new car to retire my 93 tempo. At a 25K budget you don't get much so maybe I go 30K. You know I got to really like the car to join the book of the month club. Then I had a BFO... keep the ford as a DD & get a vette? Started looking for web sites to get knowledge and found CAC! Started looking at C3's because I had a 72 LT-1 A/C t-top back in 1977, at age 25 till I was 34. I liked that car! C5's were out of the budget & after looking an LT-1 was either out of the budget or would need a bit more down the road. Then I was stuck on the A/C thing & there were only 240 LT-1's made w/AC. Then I remembered my friend's 88 C4, and I remembered a short ride he gave me. The car had it all, creature comforts & go power and driveability my LT-1 really couldn't compete with. I checked out the C4's and found a vette that had it all; I'm sure the C5's & C6's are better as technology always improves the breed. So in the end for me & my budget the C4 was the answer. Then I got lucky and stumbled upon a 90 ZR-1 w/one owner, 9300 miles & all bone stock with all it's papers for $24,900.00. Now I'm the proud owner of a gorilla in a tux! Vive la C4's, Vive la ZR-1's!

ZR1's are awesome cars. Very good choice. Can you believe the first owner paid $70,000 for it give or take. Then you pick it up , not even broke in yet for $25,000. Thats a deal if you ask me. Man I still want one!

Thanks PaulG, I got a good deal that almost fit my budget! But for this car I went over because I figured I'm a big flaming A-- hole if I pass this by because of 5 grand extra. I alotted my self 25 for car and any needed ASAP work. But in this case sometimes you just gotta say "what the ----" & go for the gusto! It is sooo bone stock that I joined a local NCRS chapter to get it judged so I can get to a regional and then a national. If any C4 deserves a McLellan Award the ZR-1 is most qualified as it's his brain child! Not that the C4's are not his children, but how he got GM to float the $ after giving him the $ to come up with the C4's to begin with is beyond me. Big corps don't like to spend $ for no good reason and I don't think the bean counters cared about making a ZR-1. They wouldn't even begin to understand why! I love this car it is an awsome machine and I have to pinch myself sometimes to se if I'm awake! :w Tom

tomtom72 said:
Hi All,
I was thinking about just a new car to retire my 93 tempo. At a 25K budget you don't get much so maybe I go 30K. You know I got to really like the car to join the book of the month club. Then I had a BFO... keep the ford as a DD & get a vette? Started looking for web sites to get knowledge and found CAC! Started looking at C3's because I had a 72 LT-1 A/C t-top back in 1977, at age 25 till I was 34. I liked that car! C5's were out of the budget & after looking an LT-1 was either out of the budget or would need a bit more down the road. Then I was stuck on the A/C thing & there were only 240 LT-1's made w/AC. Then I remembered my friend's 88 C4, and I remembered a short ride he gave me. The car had it all, creature comforts & go power and driveability my LT-1 really couldn't compete with. I checked out the C4's and found a vette that had it all; I'm sure the C5's & C6's are better as technology always improves the breed. So in the end for me & my budget the C4 was the answer. Then I got lucky and stumbled upon a 90 ZR-1 w/one owner, 9300 miles & all bone stock with all it's papers for $24,900.00. Now I'm the proud owner of a gorilla in a tux! Vive la C4's, Vive la ZR-1's!

Stumbled is right! That's a fanastic price for a low-milage ZR-1.
Whatever you do, don't ever let that horshoe fall out! :)
Congrats on a great purchase.

-John

My Vette Fever started back in 84 when the Vette got introduced in the TV-Series The A-Team.

this is why I preferr the C4 above others.

I like the early bodies most and the 90-93 dash.

in this case the '90 ZR-1 would be my perfect match.

also the Aerobody from Callaway looks stunning.

Thanks John! But...

...I still miss my LT-1!!! You know it was my first vette & there is a place in me that it owns! That car was the beast from St. Louis' skunk works as far as SB chevies go & I miss it so much! You guys that have LT-1's have a piece of vette history! Thanks for the kudos on this replacement for my childhood fantasies! I love the Z but I have to get intimate with it and only time will let me do that. There is too much that is different fron one to the other. Heck I could get my LT-1 to almost anything, this car I feel like it is laughing at me & my rusty driving skills!

Why a C4?

I knew that when I was going to be able to afford one that I would have about 20k. I looked at early C3's and all C4's. I initially fell in love with the 1988 35th Anniversary. In my mind, I thought that is what I would buy when the time came, but, I kept an open mind and kept investigating all C4's never intending to buy a ZR-1, just because I thought the LT5 would cause me a nightmare at some point. Then I started checking the ZR-1 sections in the various forums then picked up "The Heart Of The Beast" by Anthony Young. That book changed my mind about the LT5. A couple of months later I found a ZR-1 with 56k on it and spent less than my original 20k budget. The original sticker was more than 3x what I paid. Great deal for the King! But like others have said, The C4 was my first real introduction to Corvettes as in actually riding in one and getting to see one.

I had promised myself that once the kids got out of college I would buy a Vette so as soon as that happened I started looking around. I really wanted a C3 because I really liked my brother's 82 but most of those I looked at in my price range were in rougher condition than what I wanted. I then stumbled upon my 88 and it was only about $2K more than what I was considering spending. I figured it couldn't be true but after a thorough checkout I decided to buy it. It's been virtually trouble-free in the 3 years I've had it. My brother who had the 82 now has a 99 vert and while I really enjoy driving it and the smoothness over my 88, I still like mine. As much as I'd like to get a C5 I don't want to trade my C4 to get one. So since it only has about 40K miles on it I figure it will be mine for a long time. I still get a lot of looks and thumbs-up. :D

Ron
Baldie88

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom