Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why did you buy a C4?

7 Year Old Kid

Why I bought a C4?...

In 1976 "this guy" gave my aunt, cousin and me a ride (yes 4 people in a 72 Vette) and I saw the speedometer go down to 160!!!! I would walk by this guy's house with my friends and I kept telling my friends "that car is really fast" I grew up remembering that day and, promise myself that I will owe one CORVETTE someday. Why a C4?...because the 1986, yellow convertible stold my heart!!!!! (I owe a Franklin Mint die cast model of it) I was never able to buy a 86 yellow convertible, I had a 92 convertible and it burned to the ground on I-15 south, Corona, CA. Now, I owe my second C4 Vette. My goal is to owe a 96-GS.
:v

The body styling evolution of the C4 is at a good place with 2 and 3 influence. The creators looked at Tomcat fighter cockpit design. They 'borrowed' from Ferrari and Aston Martin. Lotus inspired the suspension. And a short block 350 has been around for near 50 years. Put it all in the blender and you get a delicious C4 cocktail.

PS

Dual airbags in '94. ABS, ASR. You have a chance to walk away instead of wearing a toe tag. My '63 was a death trap.

I have wanted a corvette since I sold my first one, a 64 coupe. With the kids all grown and married I decided this was the time to get back in. Originally I thought I wanted a mid-year again. But with the price of them, that was not to be. :booty So I thought a C3 would be my next best bet as I didin't think I could afford anything newer. And in my searching, I found C4's to be very affordable, more comfortable, better performance, better looking (IMO), easier to find, cheaper insurance. :J

Basically I didn't think I could afford one, but then found out they are the best bang for the buck on the market today. C5's may be headed that way in the near future, but I wasn't going to wait any longer.:dance

Paul G,
Very cool thread, I like reading how everybody decided on a C4. I can relate to a lot of the thoughts here.

The C4 will always be one of my favorite cars, the C4 body style is what I spent many hours dreaming about back in the early 90’s when I was in school working on two degrees. I’d test girlfriends patience as I dragged them along with me to Chevy dealerships to fantasize about what color I’d one day own. I would rattle on as to how much I loved them (Corvettes) and how much I wanted one.

The Corvette was a big inspiration for me to do well in school and graduate as fast as possible so I could get into the workforce and start saving for my first Corvette. The rich heritage of the Corvette was alluring to me as well.

A lot of happy car memories for me are due to the C4 era of Corvette, it’s the car I worked so hard for and has become a rich reward.

B17Crew
:w

I wanted a black C4 coupe w/ a 6 speed. Always loved the look and I figured w/ that kind of car, I wanted to do the shifting. After learning of the LT4, I knew that was what I was after. Then the search was on for a low mileage one -preferrably in my area - so I could drive the @#$! out of it before I bought it and familiarize myself w/ the car so that I knew it was right for me. Well I found one w/ 21k on the clock, and even stock it ran like a mutha. So, I jumped on it! Literally!

Now after a few mods and some personalization "SHE" truly is the car of my dreams.

I have nothing against the C5 yet they are a dime a dozen where I live (w/ a good looking C4 being definitely the more rare car). Also IMO the grouped together exhaust look combined w/ the rear-end design on the C5's just does not appeal to me.

Don't get me wrong though...
I wouldn't mind having a C5 Z06 (or a C6 ZO6 for that matter ;) ) parked in the garage next to my LT4.

Lisa might though...:L

For 30 years I've lusted for the Corvette. It was always my dream car. Growing up, the C3 has always held dearest in my heart. It will always be that way. I bought a C4 because its closest to a C3, and I wanted it to be a daily driver. I bought a 90 because it was the one year where I could get the early body style and the aspects of the later style interior. Plus it has the later L98, and I had planned on having it modified to a level to run with any stock C5 (not Z06). So its the perfect vette, for me anyway.

Someday I would also love to own a '69 or '70 :D :beer

previous vettes i owned were a 58,68,70,76,then i saw a "black 85" & had to have it! bought that & a 78 to keep it company.im in the market for a c5 but havent found it yet. guess ill be on 7th then/lol.ya know vettes are like potato chips,ya cant have just 1

Being 37 years old and having loving parents that also loved Corvettes, I have been lucky to have been around them ALL my life. My parents have pictures of me sleeping in several Corvettes while a baby. Then around 1978 they restored a low milage '75 from the ground up for show. All that car ever saw was the inside of the garage, enclosed trailer and inside a mall. While they had the show Vette they always had one or two driver Vettes. In 1986 my father was tired of the traveling involved with showing the car so they sold it and brought home a NEW '86 coupe. This car was a awsome sight to behold, it was loaded with two tone paint "metallic beige/metallic bronze", Bose stereo you name the option in '86 and it had it. That was when I finally fell in love with the C4, I was 16 years old. Up until that time having being around the C2's and C3's I wanted nothing to do with a C4. I have over the years looked in my dads garage, pulled the cover off of thet '86 thinking one day I'll have my first Vette. My dad rarely ever drove the '86, she just sat there looking good with all of her 5,600 ORIGINAL miles. About 9 months ago I was in my fathers garage, drinking a beer with him. I asked, when are you going to sell that "thing"? He said "why, you want to buy it?" and I said "well you better sell it to me or one day I'll get her for free.". I have her now with 9k miles. I drive her a few times a month and wash her before she goes in MY garage. Everywhere I go she gets alot of looks and deserves everyone she gets! Two months after I bought the car the wife comes to my work and tells me I'm going to be a daddy.....what were the first words out of my mouth? They were "I'm not selling the Vette." and she knows not to ask me to either, even though we now know we're having identical twin girls. In fact I told the wife we need to buy another one! Do you think I love my C4?

Rescued my '96 from a dealership where it had sat for several months. It was tough for me to ride by it about once per week & see it sitting out there all alone getting dirty with no Zaino in sight for miles, and probably being test driven by all kinds of cretins. Finally stopped in for a test drive. My daily driver was a '99 Z28 LS1 6spd, slightly modded, and I had just put in an entire new Alpine system at Christmas. However, after a quick trip down the highway & back in the Vette, I was grinning & ready to rescue the Vette!! The Z was more powerful, I'll admit, but nothing looks, rides & handles like the Vette.....and the LT1 just feels more like a musclecar engine to me than the LS1, (which would scream), but felt almost too refined.

Exactly two months later, not an ounce of regret on that trade!:D Even though with a 5 month old son, the wife was less than enthused.....she'll get over it, the Z couldn't accomodate an infant seat either!:)

By the way, my boss has a '99 vert, but like me, still prefers the cockpit-like interior of the C4.

Jeff

How many times have you read about other generations of Corvette that "this is an evolution rather than a revolution?" I think that is the key about the C4, it was a quantum leap compared to its predecessor.

For me the C4 was such of a clean sheet, start from scratch, let’s aim for the stars kind of new Corvette, I don't think any generation totally rewrote the Corvette book like the C4 did.

I wanted a corvette since the first time I saw them on the TV program Route 66. Finally after kids out of the house no debt and a wife that said it was my turn. I started researching corvettes. I never really cared that much for the later C3s and really liked the C4 . I planned on about an 85 or 86 because price was somewhat of an issue.I wanted a stick and knowing how well any injected engine runs I wanted the TPI. I came across my less than perfect 90 with 69k miles and a good buy. A little more than I wanted to spend but a very good value. I really wanted a coupe due to the noise in a vert. but just couldn't pass on this one. Seems it was the one for me. Now I am thinking of finding a coupe that needs a lot of tlc , bring it back to life and have the best of both worlds. I must say nothing gets the looks like a C4 with the top down.:D

Having finally landed my 'dream' job I celebrated the end of my probationary year with the Corvette that was for sale--the C-4. It is my sixth Vette and is truly a part of me when I drive it, as many have alluded.

I tested a few newer ones but when it came time , none were all that different and I just couldn't see spending the dough for a car so similar. Now, with under
$20k in a total re-do and this awesome motor, it is faster than most and as fast as the new Z; at a fraction of the cost.

I kick myself some, for not buying an awesome, black '90 ZR.

i remember riding in one of my mom's friends C3's and always liked vettes from there on out. C4's are my favorite though! refined, handling, styling is sleek, and above all POWER! awesome platform to start with for a build up. never really liked the C5's styling even though i test drove a Z06 before.

i was originally looking at a polo green 96 LT1 M6 car. it sat on the lot for about 3 months and while i was watching it my gf and i broke up. i told her one day i will own a vette and googled over this C4 every time i passed it. well we broke up and to make a long story short i went back and it was gone!

good thing too! :D found out it had 86k in miles and they wanted 18k for it. it was at the end of the month and they always will wheel and deal and i had cash in my pocket. i seen my car on the lot and fell in love with her even though she was an auto. she was clean and unique. everything felt nice and tight and got her for 15.5k with 32k in miles with a 3/36k warrenty :D

one day i want to own an 89 Callaway TT M6 with no aerokit and a 90 ZR1.

Mad-Mic said:
one day i want to own an 89 Callaway TT M6 with no aerokit and a 90 ZR1.

Thats not to much to ask for eh Mic?? Sounds like a nice list. Do you plan on keeping your 87 long term?

Mic you and I must be on the same track. I,m now just waiting for the 1989 Callaway TT 6-speed to be shipped to the midwest. and was thinking when I get that all set and sell my current 89 6ZF convert it would be nice to have a ZR-1 to keep it company. Was a long time mid-year lover til I drove first 6-speed C-4 :) It's never enough!!:upthumbs Ike

I always wanted a C4 since they rolled off the production line in 84. I was just out of Highschool and remember there was this one "rich" kid in my class who always had the best & coolest car. He had an 82 Vette which he drove to class
and also had an 84 red Z28 as his "beater" which he drove when it rained out.
Well it was not long untill he had his red C4 ...and I remember how everyone was in AWE of the sight of it...because it was so radical looking...and it was a puuurdy sight!!!!
Well I was in love. I couldnt afford one ...but I was lucky enough to later on get an 86 Z28 ...all Black.
Well...Ive always loved the C4 model design.....and I could very well afford a
C5 or a late model C4...but I have always wanted a Black 86-87. I was very patient...looked at many...and decided to get what I always wanted....Even though I am absolutely in love with the 96 Admiral Blue....that will have to wait.
I had to buy myself my first love...and I'm glad I did because I think she's a real beauty!!!:_rock
100_9588.JPG

I love my c4!

I have been around corvettes all my life.My dad drag raced a '57 vette in B/gas
in the '60's(before my time).While I was a kid,my parents had a red '62,a nassau blue '65(327 350hp)and a nassau blue '66 (327 345hp).Later,a red '75 and a white '75 where purchased.They were active in a local corvette club in K.C. MO.,and we were always going to cruises and conventions all over the U.S.So,I was exposed to all years and styles of vettes.(I will forever want a silver and black '61)But,When the ZR1 came out in the early '90's,I was sure that was THE coolest car there ever was.I loved the curved rear body,the new tailights,and of course,the awesome LT5(All that power,its reliable AND gets good gas mileage!?!?:crazy :_rock Dad,can I have one of THOSE?!?!?).But,they have always been so expensive and sought after,I couldnt see owning one in my near future.The closer I got to being able to have my own vette,the more I learned about the LT4,and the body on the '92-'96's are modeled after the ZR1,the price was right....and the rest is history.:lou Shannon

I'm on my third C4...and last!! I had an '85 coupe, automatic, an '88 yellow convertible 4+3 (which I was never going to get rid of, by the way!), and now have a Grand Sport convertible. This one will always be in our garage!:) The GS is by far the best C4 made...just my opinion, you understand!;) We have a 2002 convertible, also, and while I love riding in it, I much prefer driving the GS. As others have already said, you sit right in the seat, has a cockpit type of feel, and I like shifting its 6 speeds much better than the '02's.

I have to thank a girlfriend of mine, who is also a Corvette nut, for "finding" this Grand Sport and letting me know about it. Thanks, Pam!

Elaine

I just had to!

I have told this story before. I have always wanted a vette but was never in the position to own one or at different times was convinced I didn't need one. Bought a 70 Malibu Convertible in 94 and did pretty much everything to restore it. Drive train rebuild, complete rewire, front end rebuild, brakes, interior, paint and body. But the Malibu was a compromise. When I bought it the kids were small, it would seat us all and it was our second car, a driver. I rented a ZO6 for a day three years ago and thought that I could be satisfied with knowing that I could do so again any time the itch got to be unbearable. An internal combustion genius friend ( 600 RWHP Lotus Espirit Turbo ) of mine told me when the C5s came out to wait and the prices would drop to $25K. Not only a genius but a prophet as well! I got tired of the Malibu, the kids are growing up and driving themselves and it is no longer a second car but a weekend only toy. Besides, nobody in the family liked to ride in it anyway. I started monitoring C5s and the prices were down to $25K. But what I like to call the "sliding window" for rock bottom prices had moved over the C4s. It appeared that I could sell the Malibu, and put a C4 in its place in the garage and have money in the bank. I found what I beleive to be a solid 89 coupe locally. I bought it for under $10K and commenced to selling the Malibu. A little backwards but it has all worked out and the Vette has taken the place of the Mailbu in my garage and in my heart! I don't miss the Maliabu but am thankful for the experience. I am confident that I can manage upkeep and repairs on the vette. They're Corvette bolts but bolts just the same. Vetter forever! See ya in June in BG!

It's getting better all the time

My 86 C4 vert is my 8th vette.I have own a 54,56,Two 63's one of which was a fuelie,69 L88, 71,81 and now my 86. This is my first vert since my 63 Fuelie. It had 44k miles on her when I got her. I loved the way it handles and the seat in the pants speed. I have made a few mods to make it a little quicker. It does alright for a L98. I like that it is different in that it has 1988 wheels and it has a ZR1 hard tail and it's my first RED VETTE . People are always guessing what year it is. They never guess right. I have just finished replacing the intake gaskets on her and found she's not a virgin. Some ape got there before me and it's a wonder she was running at all. I enjoy working on C4's and am learning alot about them.I'm going to keep out of the C5's and C6's for now...This C4 is all I can handle......Bob Yates

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom