Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why do people tailgate Corvettes?

T

tlong

This guy in a Dodge Ram pickup was glued to my ass for 10 miles heading in to work. Even the simultaneous stop sign routine, him using my stop and hanging on my bumper. Did I owe this puke money? This is far from the first time, and only in this car. James Bond oil slick? Roofing tacks? It freaks me out every time!

Please tell me I'm not alone, and give me some suggestions on managing this situation. Reaching for the pistola is not the answer.

I believe it is the "norm". They figure "I got insurance. So what". He can get it repaired or junk it which ever will be. I drove for a security company and we attended the "Smith Driving School". Everything we were taught not to do everyone else does.
I just slow to the speed limit or less and let em do their thing.
Don't need to be driving a Corv to receive the "treatment".

Sometimes because they want to go fast and they know we're likely to do it, covering them from the front against cops. Sometimes i think its because they want to stare at the car.

I think Vader86 is very close. I've had some drivers ride my bumper, and I think it is mostly so they can 'hang with the Corvette'. When I take a curve faster than what is normal for them, they usually get freaked out and back off in a hurry.
Sometimes I'll tap the brakes and squirt ahead a little to make some room, if the driver doesn't get the hint, I drive slower the closer they are to me.
Heidi

THis past spring while out for a cruse a new Dodge Hemi pickup truck kept tailgating me on a 4 lane road. After several miles of driving at 55 it became clear that the clown in the pickup truck wanted to race. I guess he wanted to brag about busting a vette with his really hot Dodge Hemi. We stopped at a traffic light and he pulled along side to show off. I told him that I wasn't interested. From the first light to the second light, about 2 miles, this guys proves what kind of jackass he is. When we stopped at the second light I had all I could take. So I yelled at him to get ready. When the light turned green I gave the vette about half throttle and left the boozo setting at the light. Funny thing was that I was watching him in the mirror and all I could see was smoke from his tires as he was trying to launch. I didn't even get any rubber on my launch. After that the guy backed off.

I just could not believe that this jurk thought that his truck was going to bust a vette from a stand still! I bet he will not try that again for a long time. I too have noticed that lots of people tend to tailgate vettes. The worst are the ricers. The other thing I noticed is that everytime I go for a ride in the vette there is some bozo who thinks that he needs to race the vette. I didn't buy mine for racing. Just crusing.

H.D.

Interesting topic. I've noticed that other drivers sometimes act really "jerky" even more than normal when I'm in the Vette. They tailgate, want to race, pass when its not necessary, try to come too close and other behaviors.

We all know about some of the lunkheads out there but it seems that the 'vette brings out the worst.

Like 78SA, said, its really fun to punch it on a curve and leave them behind .

I just pull over and left them go.

We were in some stop and go traffic coming home from carlilse and I had a guy on my tail.I could see him in the mirrors almost hitting me .I pulled off the road slightley let him buy.Traffic started to move again at about 40 MPH or so.Then again came to a sreaching halt. Some 30 minutes latter I passed my tailgater on the side of the road with another car he rear ended.I feel if I did not let him by that would have been me he would have hit.

Save yourself the trouble and let them drive by

One car length per 10 mph minimum gap. This is Atlanta though, and people are super aggressive drivers even out in the pseudo country where I live.

Next time I'm going to pull over and let them go on if I can muster that level of driving maturity. It's the long run vette preservation high road. Don't these folks know how dangerous it is to be 5 feet away going 50? Complete fools.

I have noticed this also ... My gut feel is some people want to prove to themself they can run with a vette ... other's want to engage us to try to actually race ... and finally when i drive my vette I am more careful as to how close people are ... maybe we just notice it more ...

Bottom line ... be careful, drive safe and enjoy ... many people on the road today are insane!:w

I've had my vette for 5 days (Hi by the way :)) and everyone has been a a-hole to me. I've had guys tailgate, I've had ricers want to race me, I even had my temp license plate stolen this morning. I live in a college town, so I'm not too surprised. But I have to agree so far that the vette brings out the jerk in people.

Hi Newbies!

Welcome and congrats on your virgin posts. As you can see this is a great place for group therapy and tech advice. Thanks for your 2 cents and try to enjoy the ride even though our cars bring out the bad apples.

Up here in the Boston/New England area, it's not what you drive - tailgating is the norm and I hate it. Tap your breaks and get rid of one b-head and another gets on your tail. These folks just think it's normal. New England - a tailgaters heaven :hb. I just start slowing down until they just can't stand it anymore and go around.

I have also had the Dodge Hemi treatment - right up my a** even when I slow down. Only two approaches:

1. Go real slow or pull off
2. Blow them away

I prefer approach 1. Irks me to act as if I am intimidated by the jurk.

Never been buzzed by a ricer though - must be the supercharger whine + different muffler sound + rollbar :D

grimace, Welcom to the misnomer that if you can afford to buy it you can afford to fix it after some butt head screws it up for you. I have never gotten used to it and been driving my pride and joy for 8 years. Even in south Dakota we have jerks,........rice burners don't bother me, I just stomp em!

Pistol Pete Mud Flaps!!!!!

Back Off!

That probably wouldn't look good.;LOL

Tailgating aside, what I find happening to me alot is people running off the road infront of me. I just kills me when these dumb azz's get off the edge of the road and kick up debris. The only reason I can think that this happens so often is because they are looking in their rear view mirrors checking out the Vette while they should be driving there vehicle! As for tailgaters- Vettes make a big statement on the road and I believe these people find it a perfect time to get some attention -so they can make their statement...... Best thing to do is let them pass.:L

It happens a lot. . .could it be because we have such great looking rear-ends? :D

I usually pull over and let 'em go by . . . 'ya gotta pick your battles these days. . .and I don't want one involving my 'Vette. What I really get a kick out of is the "ricers" that drive like a maniac to get next to me and then they rev their tiny little engines. . . I just laugh and they usually get PO'd and go home crying to mama. . .

;LOL

Tailgating here in Chicago is the norm. I try not to drive in the city, especially on the expressway in the city. But when I do and that happens, I'm guilty of putting them away. ;)

tlong, I guess we newbies do have something in common with you Sr. guys.

djxib,
couldn't agree more with you. I did try your first approach by just running 55. This guy tailgated me for a good 10-15 miles. Heck, at the first light he asked me if I want to race my piece of S*** vette. I told him no. You know the rest of the story. I will say that I was laughing at him as he sat there smoking up the highway.
I have had ricers wanting to race. I just wave them by and laugh at their huge mufflers and 747 jumbo jet wings on their tiny cars.
I guess vettes must have either crosshairs on them or a huge invisible to me sign that says "lets race sucker".

Like I said, I bought mine to cruse with. If I really wanted to race I would buy another vette and take it to the local dragstrip. I know these cars will perform right out of the box. But, the street or highway is not the place to check them out.

H.D.

Can I rise above the clamor and peacefully cope with the white knuckled minivan drivers, fake Hemi racers and NOPI cheeseballs? Driving a vette is never dull.

Just trying to keep her out of the body shop or worse me out of a pine box.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom