Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why do we....

04 Commemorative

Corvette
04 Commemorative Conv. 6 speed
Why do we act like the Corvette is so fragile? I have never in my life drained my brake fluid,and treated any other car like it would melt in the rain and fall apart if it got dirty. Trust me I love this car but is the paint sub quality from paint used on other cars? Sometimes it seems that to someone who does not have a vette ...if they read some of these threads they might say...who needs it. Again LOVE MY VETTE, just an observation here.:w

The point for many is why drive it in the rain? Why use it under less than optimal conditions.

For me it’s a second car, and there is no reason to go out on a day when traction is limited, and I cant take the roof panel off, nor can I enjoy any of the benefits that this car has over my Camry.

I feel the pride of ownership and the satisfaction of having a meticulously maintained high performance vehicle. (Self maintained).

Some will never see the limits a newer Corvette can achieve, or any car for that matter so changing the clutch and brake fluid really wont matter. For those of us who may see the speedo needle closer to 200 than 100mph every so often, changing fluids is no big deal.

It hurts my eyes to see a dirty corvette. Thus I don't want to hurt anyone else's eyes if mine is dirty. :L I have some of the same thoughts as warren. I don't have any problems taken it out in the rain but I also know the next time I wash the car its going to take longer due to more grim.

As far as fluids go sure you dont have to be so meticulous in changing them. I also don't want to pay the extra corvette tax to fix something because I didn't change the fluid.
IMHO its a high performance car and whether I use it to its full potential or not I want to do my best to make sure that full potential is their if I happen to need it. :chuckle

Most people that frequent the CAC or any other corvette forums are corvette enthusiast. We have a bit more passion for our corvettes than the guy down the street.

Either that or we are all just nuts! Either way I'll spit shine it every spring and fall and yell at the kids for breathing on it or getting to close. :beer

I think they should be driven.

Mine was a daily driver for almost a year.
I only bought a 2nd car because i wanted to be able to do some projects that would take more than a weekend.

Why is it only fun to drive the car when it is dry and warm enough to take the tops off?

I have fun every single time i drive it. No matter how far i go or what the conditions are.

This strikes a chord here ... so to reveal myself ... :w
Bought a '94 LT1 cpe 6M ... TR at age 51 ... first Corvette ... it was show ready all the time. Was apoplectic when I got "caught" in the rain ... esp the time that I had to drive it out INTO the rain from the garage because I had a caravan rendezvous to make ... :ugh
At age 60 I realized that cleaning and showing the car (I won every award they offered) was not satisfying anymore ... and it wasn't much "fun to drive" ... so I sold it and got my current C5 Z06 --- to DRIVE as long as I could.
My first track day was a driving school at Pocono (north infield course) ... and after the first day I was in awe of the car ... and I began working toward the day that I could be a good enough driver to drive the car at its limits.
It's been in standing water ... (flooded the ECM and it died on me in BG as I arrived for the '05 Z06 Fest ... Dealer replaced it and I beat feet for Nashville Speedway, where I got in last two HPDE sessions on the infield course there)
I'v AutoX'd, done time trials, done 21 HPDE track days at 8 tracks at six locations, have been down the drag strip (that's a laffer! :L) ... I've driven on the track in the rain with both windows open.
My rear brake ducts are pitted. I have stone chips on the front and sides ... the engine compartment is a little dusty at times ...
BUT ... while I didn't do ANYTHING except change the oil and filter on the '94 in 30k miles and 9+ years ... in 4+ years with the Z06, and nearly 25k miles, I've changed ALL fluids (engine, trans, diff, clutch, PS, coolant), pushed about 14 pints of DOT4 brake fluid thru the brake system, installed '04 shocks, SS BL, speedbleeders, a DRM/RD radiator with integrated EOC, DRM brake ducts and spindle mounts, replaced rotors, pads, etc. And I've had a 4pt roll bar welded in. Yeah ... my C5Z has a little track patina, but it's mechanically in better shape than the 94 was! ... and every time I get in it I have this stupid :D
BTW ... they don't shrink ... and don't rust ... and clean up rather nicely ... (yes ... I still clean the underneath of the car, pull my wheels, wax the inner rims, condition my wheel wells and undercarriage ... all that detailing stuff ... and I drive it like I stole it! :beer

I think they should be driven.

Mine was a daily driver for almost a year.
I only bought a 2nd car because i wanted to be able to do some projects that would take more than a weekend.

Why is it only fun to drive the car when it is dry and warm enough to take the tops off?

I have fun every single time i drive it. No matter how far i go or what the conditions are.
Me Too!! My Spiral Grey was a Garage Queen for the first 3 years with less than 8,000 miles!!I've sure made up for it the last 2,I guess the new wore off of it!!!:D:D:D Besides it's my Economy car!!:cool:cool:cool

I dont know, Ive owned a few cars over the years (I'm 50), and I liked them all (natural really, we spend a lot of time in the car and they always started and got me through whatever God aweful storm/blizzard/ice was happening to get in for that midnight shift) but I can tell ya; I have never had a car that gave me so much pleasure to just stand there and stare at :cool until I got the vette.

Granted, I'm in a different position now (retired, no longer the 100 mile commute) so I guess my driving habits would have changed anyway, but I really love this car.

I like keeping it running and looking its best. I'll use it in incliment weather if I have to (went up to get my son a while ago from school, 300 miles in the rain) but if its crappy out, the vette stays in the garage.

Its not like I feel the weather or water will hurt anything (I certainly hope not, because Ive washed it about 47,000 times) I just figure Im gonna have to put it away dirty and then the next time I want to use it when it clears up, I'll have to clean it up before I get going. I just cant see driving it dirty, you know everyone looks at the car whereever you go :D. Not that I loose any sleep over what people think, but I do feel that we conspicuously stand out and due to that fact I try and drive proficiently and courteously and also keep the car looking like something that warrants the extra attention. Ya gotta give the on-lookers something to aspire to i guess ;LOL

I have been waiting for the situation where the car is a little dirty and its raining. Want to just go out and slide around a little, always good practice. Problem is, it always winds up that its pretty clean, so ya, I guess I'm guilty of not using it in that instance.

Hey, I'm allowed to be anal about it, I have a black one, whats your excuse ;LOL

BTW, It's not a garage queen, if it isnt raining and I have to go somewhere, anywhere, I take the vette.

Because We Can

For the most part these cars are just toys that we love, so they get pampered.
Why do we pamper them - because we can.
Remo:cool

2003889437856052509_rs.jpg

Well...I've only been a Vette owner since August, but I've been using the car as my daily driver... I realize to some that's a sacriledge, (including my Vette friends) but I enjoy it (and I have a very short commute to work).

It does go out in the rain (unless it's a monsoon), but will not be going out in any snow or threat of snow. :eek:hnoes

I love the car, and want it to look great of course (who wouldn't??) But I want to drive it whenever I can!!

drive in the rain

I don't drive mine in the rain, because it leaks. :L

Well...I've only been a Vette owner since August, but I've been using the car as my daily driver... I realize to some that's a sacriledge, (including my Vette friends) but I enjoy it (and I have a very short commute to work).

It does go out in the rain (unless it's a monsoon), but will not be going out in any snow or threat of snow. :eek:hnoes

I love the car, and want it to look great of course (who wouldn't??) But I want to drive it whenever I can!!

Now that is a sentiment I can readily agree with. While I enjoy have a sparkling clean Corvette, fear of having to clean it isn't a factor in chosing to drive it if it's raining.

Snow, of course, is a different subject altogether.

-Patrick

I agree with you. I love my 02 vette; but I will drive it regardless of rain or shine. I'm careful where I park it (due to idiots who will bump it just because they are careless) and I do try to watch where I drive it (no dirt roads or loose gravel roads, etc.). In my opinion; if i die today someone will drive it; so I might as well enjoy it while I can!

Hi All,
I've had my first Vette, an '04 CE, since this past March. I do like to keep it clean and looking good because it's an awesome looking car that always gets attention and coments where ever I go - but it's a car not a show queen. Mine lives outside and is my daily driver. I have a 4WD Explorer for bad snow or ice and home improvement projects but otherwise I drive the Vette. Since I've gotten it, it never fails to put a smile on my face or lighten my mood every time I get in. So, I won't turn it into a snow plow but otherwise, I'll continue to drive it whenever I can because you just can't beat the feeling. For those of you that have the luxury of a nice big garage and want to only drive your Vette in the best conditions- good for you - I understand and am glad it makes you happy to do so -but it won't change the way I feel. Happy motoring!
Tony C.

I've driven my C4 in snow, never again. I've been caught in a downpour or two in the ol' Vette and the noice from the pan when pooled water came sloshing back up and beat the bottom of the car is disturbing. I've driven the C5 in rain and it rode like a dream, but clean up afterwards did take a bit more time than usual.

We all find our own pleasure in driving these wonderful cars be it in pristine conditions or down right nasty. When its all said and done, my CE Coupe just goes faster when its dry out :_rock

For the most part these cars are just toys that we love, so they get pampered.
Why do we pamper them - because we can.
Remo:cool

2003889437856052509_rs.jpg

Well said Remo... For me it's just my little toy, why abuse it if I don't have to ! That's what my Jeep is for :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom