Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

why does it run so good?

bucket

Corvette
ive got a 3400 pound, automatic with 2:59 ring gear and 12" of rubber on each side in the rear...
so why does a 300 hp stock chev V8 burn rubber so easy?
too much throttle turning a corner and you will find yourself drifting...
i just do get it....
signed
confused by the 60's

Are you're tires worn? Are you sure the stock gears are still in the rear end? I have a 275hp 89,with 3:07 gears,i can hammer it in corners and maybe just chirp a little,but never lose traction. I lowered my car 2 1/2 inches though. My c5 would bite hard when accelerating in a turn also,once again though,i lowered that car 3 inches.

Wow,3400lbs? My car weighs 3200 exactly with me in it,i weigh 190. Car is fully loaded with 19 rims.

Are you're tires worn? Are you sure the stock gears are still in the rear end? I have a 275hp 89,with 3:07 gears,i can hammer it in corners and maybe just chirp a little,but never lose traction. I lowered my car 2 1/2 inches though. My c5 would bite hard when accelerating in a turn also,once again though,i lowered that car 3 inches.

Wow,3400lbs? My car weighs 3200 exactly with me in it,i weigh 190. Car is fully loaded with 19 rims.

the tech center said mine weighs 3317 plus gas and me at a buck 80..
the tires are only 10" my bad..but it is a posi
and today i was in hurry beat traffic and grabbed second turning left and had to lift when the rear end started coming around..
stock gears for sure
i remember in the 60's an ss 396 base model would burn rubber very well..on 6" X14" tires....????..it reminds me of that
it just seems to run like a 60's muscle car...for no apparent reason....

Lol... probably faster than most 60s muscle cars.As you know,the LT1 vette has well over 300 lb ft of torque,and a pretty flat torque curve compaired to "back in the day cars",and weighs alot less too.... I beat ALOT of chevelles,cudas,camaros and such at the track. Even more so from a 55mph roll.With the c5,i absolutly kill'em.I beat a cammed 440 six pack cuda with drag radials with my c5 auto with hedders.
Heres an example,sorta sad,but, dragtimes.com has some old camaro etc muscle car stock times,hows this one, 69 camaro RS,295hp,17.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile,0 to 60 in 9.9... man,a honda v-tec is faster than that. You're 92 is an easy 13 second car.My friend runs his LT1 auto to 13.8 at 103mph and hes not a good driver at all.

I weighed my car on a DOT truck scale thats calibrated every day.

HP is not rated the same as it was in the 60s .

Glenn
:w

Lol... probably faster than most 60s muscle cars.As you know,the LT1 vette has well over 300 lb ft of torque,and a pretty flat torque curve compaired to "back in the day cars",and weighs alot less too.... I beat ALOT of chevelles,cudas,camaros and such at the track. Even more so from a 55mph roll.With the c5,i absolutly kill'em.I beat a cammed 440 six pack cuda with drag radials with my c5 auto with hedders.
Heres an example,sorta sad,but, dragtimes.com has some old camaro etc muscle car stock times,hows this one, 69 camaro RS,295hp,17.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile,0 to 60 in 9.9... man,a honda v-tec is faster than that. You're 92 is an easy 13 second car.My friend runs his LT1 auto to 13.8 at 103mph and hes not a good driver at all.

I weighed my car on a DOT truck scale thats calibrated every day.

man......those cars sure seemed faster than that...lol
my ram air mustang, back in 72, was a world beater and a big block killer....but about a 14 or 15 sec quarter was the norm for it...oh well...
i sure feel blessed....and thankful
and can only imagine a new ZR1 would be like warp drive in comparison

I can relate bucket, when I first got my Ruby I took off from a stop sign nice and easy and started to go through some twisties in 1st gear ( my car is a stick) as I was turning I stood on it...Yeah, I learned real quick that even though I got 9.5 inch wide tires out back and ASR, she will light them up and swing the tail out. I countersteered and ASR did its job and brought me back stright. Don't underestimate 300HP!!! I have since learned to corner fast in my vette to brake and let the car roll through the apex and then ROLL onto the throttle, nailing it mid corner is not advised.

ASR..is good in some circumstances im sure..
but
i almost always turn mine O F F as soon as the engine fires
it's psychological i think...lol
i dont like the idea of it...

The LT1 would be rated closer to 350HP in the old pre SAE days.

The stiff suspension in C4s (and a good amount of low end torque) is mostly to blame for the rear coming around or the tires breaking loose if you gun it in a turn. This is one of those things thats a little more worked out in later years - like in C5s. Not gone but ........

Leave the traction control on and it won't break loose too bad.:thumb

I have found it keeps me out of trouble. I darn near lost it one time when I turned off the ASR and just ripped it while leaving work late 1 night. I kept my foot into the pedal a tad too long as I entered a short curve. When I backed off I darn near swapped ends and barely kept it in the roadway. Dummy me learned a little lesson that night.

I had a pretty hopped up camaro back in the day, had some pretty good parts in the 30 over 350 engine along with a 4:10 posi and a tricked out tranny/torque converter. I took it to the strip a few times, traction limited the best I ever did with was low 15's. I never put slicks on it and try it, but I still doubt it would beat my LT1 corvette.:beer

Leave the traction control on and it won't break loose too bad.:thumb

I have found it keeps me out of trouble. I darn near lost it one time when I turned off the ASR and just ripped it while leaving work late 1 night. I kept my foot into the pedal a tad too long as I entered a short curve. When I backed off I darn near swapped ends and barely kept it in the roadway. Dummy me learned a little lesson that night.

I had a pretty hopped up camaro back in the day, had some pretty good parts in the 30 over 350 engine along with a 4:10 posi and a tricked out tranny/torque converter. I took it to the strip a few times, traction limited the best I ever did with was low 15's. I never put slicks on it and try it, but I still doubt it would beat my LT1 corvette.:beer

yes of course, but...
it uses the brakes to correct wheel spin..and.....
it makers a noise i dont like
and........
i will be the traction control thank you...lol
i didnt say this was a problem
just a question
thanx'

ASR..is good in some circumstances im sure..
but
i almost always turn mine O F F as soon as the engine fires
it's psychological i think...lol
i dont like the idea of it...

There's your reason. These cars do put out a lot of torque and the ASR is meant to keep the tires from spinning. With it turned off you have to be very careful when you hit the throttle, especially if the road is wet.

Run best before they blow

There's your reason. These cars do put out a lot of torque and the ASR is meant to keep the tires from spinning. With it turned off you have to be very careful when you hit the throttle, especially if the road is wet.
I rember back in my hot rod days it seems our hoped up cars always ran best just before we blow the engine up. Hope thats not the case here.

i wouldnt try it on damp or sandy conditions unless it was a closed course

I rember back in my hot rod days it seems our hoped up cars always ran best just before we blow the engine up. Hope thats not the case here.

lol i said the exact same thing to a dear friend just the other day...except he was crowing about how great he felt....
i remember racing 5hp outlaw go karts on dirt...!...man, you could hang it out all the way around.the track sideways, yee haw......right befor you oiled down the track...:beer

so tonite, after screening 2012, (lots of adrenelin goes a bit too far toward the end)
cool nite in los angels, traffic light, we round the last corner coming home and the street is deserted, i planted my right foot and it shifted down to 1st and very quickly climed above 3000 rpm(like one second) as soon as we go past 3000 it was like the four barrel opened up
then i had to lift and go in the garage.....
im pretty content with my old beater
i talked a lot of trash about trading up....i repent
just what kind of thrill are you looking for?
i am thrilled with how fun this thing is to drive..
and the joy it gives me to walk up to it in the parking garage...it's so low and you can park in the compact zone..lol
so now i want just a bit deeper idle..
i want it to purr like giant lion
do i want no mufflers or flow masters?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom