Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why is '53 - '62 considered the same generation?

IMHO Basically the same body style, a brick with wheels & a solid rear axle.

"Generations" of Corvettes, and other vehicles for that matter, are considered "changed" when there is a "platform" change-over. A car's "platform" is its basic structure. In the case of the 53-62 "C1" Corvette which was body on frame construction, its basic structure was a combination of the car's chassis and underbody which, from 1953-1962 was for the most part the same.

'63-'67, is considered "C2" because the chassis and the underbody structure were unchanged.
'68-'82 is C3 because the underbody structure did not change and the chassis did not change much from C2
'84-'96 is C4 because the underbody structure did not change. While there is modest differences between '84-'87 and '88-'96, the chassis did not change significantly.
'97-'04 is C5 because both the underbody and chassis were unchanged.
'05-'13 is C6 because the underbody was unchanged. The basic chassis design was unchanged, but '05-'13 base models had steel frames and '06-'13 performance models had aluminum frames.
'14-'19 is C7 because neither the underbody nor the chassis changed much
'20-'?? will be C8 because both the underbody and chassis will change significantly.

Last edited:
"Generations" of Corvettes, and other vehicles for that matter, are considered "changed" when there is a "platform" change-over. A car's "platform" is its basic structure. In the case of the 53-62 "C1" Corvette which was body on frame construction, its basic structure was a combination of the car's chassis and underbody which, from 1953-1962 was for the most part the same.

'63-'67, is considered "C2" because the chassis and the underbody structure were unchanged.
'68-'82 is C3 because the underbody structure did not change and the chassis did not change much from C2
'84-'96 is C4 because the underbody structure did not change. While there is modest differences between '84-'87 and '88-'96, the chassis did not change significantly.
'97-'04 is C5 because both the underbody and chassis were unchanged.
'05-'13 is C6 because the underbody was unchanged. The basic chassis design was unchanged, but '05-'13 base models had steel frames and '06-'13 performance models had aluminum frames.
'14-'21* is C7 because neither the underbody nor the chassis changed much
'20-'??* will be C8 because both the underbody and chassis will change significantly.

*It is rumored that GM will make both C7 and C8 for two model years, 2020 and 2021.

And, GM never officially classified the Corvette as C-1, 2, 3, etc. It was coined by automotive world starting with the introduction of the C5; then everyone figured well lets classify the previous years and solid-axle or C1; midyears or C2; Sharks or C3

A '53 and a '62 seem very different - why are those years classified in the same generation?
I think because they all share the same chassis - same X frame - same front suspension and solid rear axle - and the "tub" is basically the same - easy way to classify the early cars.....

As was previously mentioned, the generation labels were created by the media before GM jumped on it.
I have an old Corvette book that called the 53-55 first generation, the 56-57 second generation and the 58-62 third generation due to the body style changes. Note, the writer didn't use the "C#" designation.
The 63-67 was just called "Mid-Years" and the 68-82 were "Sharks."
The "C#" stuff started in the media with the introduction of the 84 Corvette. Whoever started that, decided that the 53-62 were C1, the 63-67 were C2 and the 68-82 were C3.

All C1s are straight axle cars with 3 different body styles - same chassis ~, different bodies
All C2s and C3s basically use the same chassis with different body styles.

Whoever writes history last, gets it "right."

Last edited:
I disagree: Whoever writes history last probably gets it wrong since he's the furthest removed from the events (he tailors it to suit his beliefs & politics... but since he got the last word, his version probably sticks).

Growing up with these early solid axle cars I always looked at the early cars as four groups based on their body shape; '53/55, 56/57, 58/60, and 61/62. After '84 they all became C1's but not to me.

Tom

Does anyone really worry about " labels " ? I call them Corvettes . I have six older than 1967. The rest I don't care about. There is a lid for every pot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom