Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why is originality such a major concern?

JohnZ said:
Yup, they're even nicer, dead stock, at 192mph with the A/C going :D .

Yeah...It' took them how many years before they figured out how to A/C the car and how to make a metal roof for it.....:L

And how come you don't have one in your stable as a going away present..next to the Prancing Horse..??

Jeff Farrar said:
Kid_Again,

Not all BB's had an 80# oil gauge. I forget the break down but it's in Nolan's book. My '67 with an L68, came with a 60# gauge. And yes I have the orignal tank sheet, Protec-O-Plate, etc. And I know the cluster is original as well.

Yup, so I hear. Good point. My recollection is to expect the bb's to have an 80# gauge.

Hmmmm.....Viper vs. Corvette, Viper vs. Corvette

Ok, to hijack this thread (a Kid_Again specialty), I'd probably go for a new Viper rather than a new Corvette because, well, new Corvettes are so pedestrian. Sorry. Great car, best bang for the buck, LOVE the Z06 but 20-something administrative assistants just love owning the new Corvette. I gotta love the Viper because I won't see myself coming and going 10 times a day.

192 mph going up Route 287? KINDA slow for the NYC commuters :lou

Thanks for the welcome note EBVETTE.

63 was agood year for me since that was the year I was born. It's also the year my other favourite car was born....The Porsche 911.

Growing up it was the C3 that I was bonkers about being my teenage years. It's now in my live that I began to realise that the C2 is pretty much perfection in terms of styling. Not so much an investment reason for purchase although thats what I told the wife. Even with 4 children from ages 5 through to 15 it makes sense to have another two seater.......doesn't it?

Make sure when you come back to the UK to remmber to bring the Vette and live in the South East.

rgds
lee

viper, John used to work for GM also so chances are fairly good he had his hands somewhere in the making of your '66 also.

hmm, just think, John was most likely involved in some way in the makings of both of your toys! :D

Lee:

Welcome. As JohnZ mentioned, there is an NCRS chapter in the UK; I was a member for a short time while living in London on a work assignment. It's a good group. I believe at least one of the members has a Viper as well, so you'll probably fit right in! Their chapter meet ought to be coming up in a few months--it's generally held in Tenterden, and that should be right in your neighborhood.

All the best.

-David

Viet Nam Vett said:
Yeah...It' took them how many years before they figured out how to A/C the car and how to make a metal roof for it.....:L

And how come you don't have one in your stable as a going away present..next to the Prancing Horse..??

Car came out in '92, got A/C in '93, never got any steel body panels - the spaceframe is steel, but the exterior panels are all fiberglass.

I suggested to my V.P. that it would be a fitting gesture (in view of my many years of ball-busting and dedicated service) to let me take my Viper company car into retirement with me; he agreed that it would be a nice thing to do, but added "it ain't gonna happen" :eyerole . Oh, well, I tried. :D

I suggested to my V.P. that it would be a fitting gesture (in view of my many years of ball-busting and dedicated service) to let me take my Viper company car into retirement with me; he agreed that it would be a nice thing to do, but added "it ain't gonna happen" :eyerole . Oh, well, I tried. :D

Now see...if it were me... I would have just simply ups'ed a few parts a week to my house. Of course the hardest parts such as the frame and V-10 motor would have had to go Truck Frieght.

But..I would have just put "Lee Iacocca's" name on the lable with my home address. Now..we know Lee doesn't work for the MoPar boys any longer ...but No one would have questioned his name on the lable.:D

Mark

well, John does has a start on a Viper.........I remember him posting a pic of an intake manifold hanging on his wall. I think he said it was one of only two special ones or prototypes they made. :D

BarryK said:
Mark

well, John does has a start on a Viper.........I remember him posting a pic of an intake manifold hanging on his wall. I think he said it was one of only two special ones or prototypes they made. :D

Shhhhhhhhhh....Mopar has ears (and eyes?)

Several years ago on the World Challange Racing circuit I was part of a pit crew for a C5 Corvette....I remember the Vipers and everybody in the WC SCCA called them "Clown Shoes" ;LOL

Viet Nam Vett said:
Now see...if it were me... I would have just simply ups'ed a few parts a week to my house. Of course the hardest parts such as the frame and V-10 motor would have had to go Truck Frieght.
Didn't Johnny Cash have a song about the Cadillac he built "One Piece at a Time"?

-Mac

I got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile.

BarryK said:
Dennis, I'm sure if John has something like that he has it legititmently. :)

Yup, that's it on the wall - was presented to me at my retirement party as a memento by the Viper Engineering guys I went to LeMans with (we won the GT class at LeMans in '98, '99, and 2000). Also won the FIA GT class World Championship those three years - 48 starts, 44 wins, and 42 of them were 1-2 finishes. We embarrassed Porsche so badly in '98 (they dominated that class for 40 years) with our "old pushrod technology" that they pulled out of racing entirely for the next two years. :cry

:lou

2002228141543-0-PumpWall.JPG

:beer

67HEAVEN said:
Once you retired from Chrysler, John, what brought you back to Chevy (Camaros, Corvettes)?

We're glad you came back. ;)

I spent my first 21 years with Chevrolet, and grew up building them; never got that familiar with the classic Mopars (except for the old 392 Hemi I had in my AA/FD in '61-'62). Have always had Chevy hot-rods and Corvettes in the garage, even during the 16 years I spent with Chrysler; I guess you stick with what you grew up with and know best. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom