Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why nitrogen?

That's a great article. I don't know how I missed it. I have seen lots of tires that look good on the outside but are cracked and rotting on the inside. Any time you can keep oxygen out of a tire you can increase tire life.

I get asked about this a lot since I'm in the business. Here's a little more information from my company.

Air Products Ultra Fill 99+

That's a great article. I don't know how I missed it. I have seen lots of tires that look good on the outside but are cracked and rotting on the inside. Any time you can keep oxygen out of a tire you can increase tire life.

I get asked about this a lot since I'm in the business. Here's a little more information from my company.

Air Products Ultra Fill 99+
Cant believe I got no response since 1/1 . Most places around here will fill your tires for free.

It is more hype than truth. There have been quite a few threads about this.

It's not about the nitrogen. It's about reducing oxygen, water vapor and other gases.
By reducing the percentage of oxygen, water vapor and other gases in your tires from 22% to 7% or lower, your tires will maintain proper pressure longer than if you use “plain old air.” For example, with 95% nitrogen in your tires, they retain optimal pressure three to four times longer.

Did anyone ever see a tire that was worm out (from the inside) because the oxygen attacked the rubber? (And they new conclusively that’s what did it) Maybe if your tires lasted 50 years it would be of some benefit. There is plenty of oxygen in the air OUTSIDE of the tire that they are in contact with all the time, wouldn’t that plus road wear on the tread be much more of problem?

What about just checking your “air” pressure every month?

Like P.T Barnum said………………….

high purity nitrogen?

OH PUHLEEZ!!!!!!
:boogie

..every sunday night, i check the tires, fluids, belts and hoses

...now you're telling me that i need an Air Products delivery truck dropping off gas chromatography grade nitrogen for my tires...if you go to solid rubber tires, then there is absolutely no possibility of tires rotting from the inside, no pressure loss

...buff those muffler bearings while you're at it

You see pics/video of the 'new' tires in development? Non-"air" tires supported by a poly web in the center that conforms to whatever terrain its on.:cool

here's what i found ->

Auto manufacturers testing "zero pressure" spare tire

Posted Sep 20th 2005 9:00PM by Stuart Waterman
Filed under: Maintenance
Amerityre Corporation announced today that production quality prototypes of its "zero pressure" (no air) space saver spare tire are being delivered to auto companies for testing and evaluation.

The polyurethane tire is manufactured directly onto the car wheel, and never needs inflating and can never go flat. The company claims an operating range of over 2,000 miles at 50 mph. The tires (tyres?) can carry loads of up to 2,000 lbs, making them suitable for SUV-class vehicles.

here's what i found ->

Auto manufacturers testing "zero pressure" spare tire

Posted Sep 20th 2005 9:00PM by Stuart Waterman
Filed under: Maintenance
Amerityre Corporation announced today that production quality prototypes of its "zero pressure" (no air) space saver spare tire are being delivered to auto companies for testing and evaluation.

The polyurethane tire is manufactured directly onto the car wheel, and never needs inflating and can never go flat. The company claims an operating range of over 2,000 miles at 50 mph. The tires (tyres?) can carry loads of up to 2,000 lbs, making them suitable for SUV-class vehicles.
Sounds similare to what I saw,but there was no mention of it just being a 'spare'.They were saying they would replace conventional tires. I'll see if I can find it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom