Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why no Master to be found

CELT4RAGTOP

Corvette
1996 LT4 Collectors Edition Convertible
The master cylinder for my clutch that is.

My clutch has been getting lower and lower to the floor and the gears have been getting "sticky", especially when she's cold.

I took the LT4 to the dealership (I know, I know...bend over and grab my ankles) and they tell me I need a new master cylinder for the clutch. Then they call me back and say that it is a "factory direct" order and the factory is on back order and they can't tell me when they will even have one. Yikes!

I even called the local garage near work (they are an AC Delco distributor) and he said the same thing, no master cylinders to be had.

Is it just me to think that this is something that should be readily available? I mean the ZF six speed isnt that rare that there should be a shortage of parts.

I'll check some of the local "discount parts" outfits this weekend, but I just felt like ranting a bit and was just curious if anyone else has had any problems trying to find this part.

AutoZone

BRAKEWARE CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER for a 1996 CHEVROLET CORVETTE

Unit Price: $89.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: 10285
Weight: 1.75 lbs.

You might want to check out a related thread started by barkart on 1/25/04 entitled "Help! 1996 Slave and Master Cylinder Replacement Costs?"
If you do a search on this subject, you might find even more info.

I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder on my '84 for a whopping 6 bucks. The removal/installation is the hardest part. Provided the cylinder isn't scored too deeply ( shouldn't be on your '96 ) all the rebuild entails is changing the seals and o-ring. The rebuild kit comes with instructions and illustrations. Fill the resevoir after installation and bleed the system through the slave cylinder and you're good to go. Very simple and a haynes manual covers it all. I purchased the rebuild kit from NAPA. I sold the car about 4 years ago and the buyer, whom I know, has never had a problem. I haven't had to rebuild the master on my LT4 and it looks to be a little more difficult to remove and install, but it looks to be the same unit. I'm sure Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. also carry the kits. If memory serves, it took me about 2 hours to do the job and I only needed help bleeding the system. Basic wrenching skill is all you need. Maybe someone on board has removed the CMC from an LT1/LT4 and can provide further details. Hope this helps! Brian

p.s. Although I haven't done it, I believe the slave is also rebuildable.

Before you go buy a new master or slave, check the fluid. If you are very low or the master is dry, fill it and bleed the system per the service manual. That will probably restore your clutch opertation.

I just changed my master cylinder and the aftermarket stuff seem readily available at all of the parts stores.....the slave is a whole new story. I had to put an order for one through my local GM dealer as I've been told (after an extensive search of all of my local "national" parts stores) that the part ('91-'96 clutch slave cylinders) has been discontinued; and is OEM only. I've been waiting a week now. Doesn't make sence to me either why such a popular part would be chopped from the stores.

Thanks for the input everyone.

If I hadn't spent the entire weekend trying (key word - trying...after two whole days I'm still only a little more than 2/3rds done) to put together the play yard for the kids I might have just gone to get the car from the dealer and tried the rebuild (if the refill didn't work...gotta admit didn't even think about that). Maybe I'll swing by one night after work and see if the refill will work. If not, then maybe the rebuild. Hmm. I'll need some jack stands. At least the dealer is letting me drive a loner until they find the part. They might be PO'd if I go get it, but hey if they can't find the part too bad for them.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom