Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wide open throttle

S

snk1994

Ok im sure there are so many varibles that I will have to dig into it to know for sure but I figured I would throw it out here for people..

Problem:
When I go to Wide open throttle I get hesitation right before the auto tranny shifts. Its actually to a point where if I let up on it just a bit it will actually accelerate more then shift, then if I were to keep it pinned to the floor. I also get a hesitation off the line when I try to launch at WOT. any other time it runs like a dream. its just when I have my foot through the floor board is when this happenes....of course my wife has solved the problem by telling me not to have a lead foot.......YEAH RIGHT!

Specifics:
Electric choke adjusted ALL THE WAY DOWN. The tube between the air cleaner and the smog pump has broken and is totally inoperable (wasnt going to fix it since Im going to be eliminating the pump completely with a true dual set-up) Other then that completely stock. I use only premium grade fuel. Even tried a octane additive and didnt see any improvement. I have no knocks and pings and besides the hesitation every thing seams to be running fine.

Any help, sugestions, comments, or free parts is welcome.

snk1994 said:
Ok im sure there are so many varibles that I will have to dig into it to know for sure but I figured I would throw it out here for people..

Problem:
When I go to Wide open throttle I get hesitation right before the auto tranny shifts. Its actually to a point where if I let up on it just a bit it will actually accelerate more then shift, then if I were to keep it pinned to the floor. I also get a hesitation off the line when I try to launch at WOT. any other time it runs like a dream. its just when I have my foot through the floor board is when this happenes....of course my wife has solved the problem by telling me not to have a lead foot.......YEAH RIGHT!

Specifics:
Electric choke adjusted ALL THE WAY DOWN. The tube between the air cleaner and the smog pump has broken and is totally inoperable (wasnt going to fix it since Im going to be eliminating the pump completely with a true dual set-up) Other then that completely stock. I use only premium grade fuel. Even tried a octane additive and didnt see any improvement. I have no knocks and pings and besides the hesitation every thing seams to be running fine.

Any help, sugestions, comments, or free parts is welcome.
if you still have the Qjet carb the secondary air valve is opening too soon. try tightening up the spring

My '81 is a 4-speed, but, It used to hesitate when mashing the go pedal, so I plugged the vacuum line coming off the Carb, I think it's for the secondary (this gives you REAL TIME 4-barrel operation, I mean RIGHT NOW response). I also made a spacer for the bottom of the air cleaner. This give the top of the air cleaner about 1/8" clearance all the way around the top and still provides a seal for filtering external nonwanted stuff from getting to the carb ;)

I also wedged open one of the baffles in the air delivery scoop, ole Rare breaths like she got new lungs, and ya just can't deny the sound of a fully operational Quad taking a full breath of fresh air :D

Bud

Rare, On that space you made for the aircleaner....what you use? Im thinking just a small piece of pipe alittle bigger then the carborator stud just so that the air cleaner doesnt slide all the way down it. Is that along the line of what you have done?

snk1994 said:
Rare, On that space you made for the aircleaner....what you use? Im thinking just a small piece of pipe alittle bigger then the carborator stud just so that the air cleaner doesnt slide all the way down it. Is that along the line of what you have done?
I traced the bottom of the air filter onto 1/8" masonite board, cut it out then put it in the bottom of the air cleaner with the air filter on top ;) That way it still filters out all the junk and I can still use stock sized filters.

I looked off and on for a filter that was exact in dia. and 1/8" higher, but never found one, so one day I used cardboard cutouts until I found the height that I could still use the original carb bolt yet get the max clearance with air to the carb and still get the hood to close properly ;)

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom