Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Widening Rims

• Thread starter Thread starter ZR1Pete
  • Start date Start date
Z

ZR1Pete

Doe anybody know of a company that can widen the GM a-mold's 1"

Has anybody done this,if so pros & cons.

Ye' Ole wheel shop in Maryland can...

Ye Ole Wheel Shop
7281 Washington Blvd
Elkridge, MD
410-796-8400
800-526-8260

:m

I have two sources. Michigan and New Jersey. If your first contact doesn't work for you, let me know. My wheels worked out fine after the increase in width.
Mike

ZR1Pete said:
Thanks
Do they have a web site.
Pete,

To the best of my knowledge, they don't currently have a web site.

Thanks Guys
I will be calling them for pricing after the holiday weekend.

Have a safe weekend.

Let me know how much they want to do that Pete!

Mike

I called Ye Ole Wheel Shop here's what they said.

I need 2 of the same wheels to widen 1 wheel,basicly i need to have 4 wheels to widen 2 wheels $200 each.

What it comes down to is how bad do you want that extra 1"

We know of some guy's that use centerline outer with stock inset's on their Stock Appearing car.

ZR1Pete said:
I called Ye Ole Wheel Shop here's what they said.

I need 2 of the same wheels to widen 1 wheel,basicly i need to have 4 wheels to widen 2 wheels $200 each.

What it comes down to is how bad do you want that extra 1"

So do they need 4 wheels of the same width? I assume you are widening the 11" but I bet you could find some narrow 8.5" wheels for a cheap price..

Hi Jeff,yes the 11's i would like to do.
I heard somebody is/will make 18" a-molds.
Is this true?
If so any web sites?

My sources make one cut and weld a new band peice in between the two halves. No need for a duplicate set of wheels.
Mike

I had my wheels done by Weldcraft. At the time, their prices and process was similar to Wheel Works. The weld leaves a typical visible bead. The bead is barely visible, but some grind the bead flush. In theory the grinding looks better, but isn't as strong. I didn't grind , for strength is more important. Just make sure they make the new dimension to your exact request. I had one set of my 1995 wheels made to 11" front and 12" rear.

Weldcraft
15091 Northville Rd
Plymouth MI
734 420-2211

Wheel Works
1703 RT 130
Burlington NJ
609 387-4488

Would the rims be safe at hi speeds, thats my main concern.

Thanks
I will give them a call.

Both said the wheels are strong enough for any use. Weld is done with 70,000 psi strong aluminum rod. My widened wheels are for street and occasional autocross. My track setup is CCW 12x18 and 13 x18 with Goodyear Slicks. I always bring my street setup to the track as backup in case I get a puncture in the slicks. The slicks are non-repairable if damaged. So far, I never needed them at the track, but I would use them at the track and there isn't another Corvette that will create more cornering forces than mine. Keep in mind, this modification is at your own risk. The wheel supplier will not take any responsibility regardless. What type of use do you plan for them? What sizes and tire?
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom