Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

will a truck 427 fit a 68

Corvette
76 Coupe
Will a truck 427 engine fit in a 68 vette that originally had the 427 ? What is tall blocks and short ones ? I have a friend that needs a 427 for his 68.

The difference is .400".

In theory, if you could reduce the height of the air filter assembly by about half and inch, a tall deck block would fit but in practice, the air filter assy on BBCs in Vettes is already very resricted so you'd be restricting it even more.

In practice, the only way to get a tall deck block in there would be to put a different hood on the car so you wouldn't unnecessarily restrict the air filter assy.

Now....why would you want to put a truck 427 in a Corvette in the first place? A truck 427 is a low-performance item.

Tall deck 427s from big trucks were very low cr engines. They have a taller deck height and as such can be hard to put in where you have a close hood clearance to begin with. They take special pistons and other components when building one for performance use. I think this also includes different intakes since the taller deck spreads the block wider as it goes up. To use one as is with stock heads and pistons would result in something around a 7.5CR if I remember right. You could buy a crate big block cheaper than building one of these. If it isn't going to be numbers matching put in a GM 454 HO 425 horse with the 427 external parts on it. Noboby will know that it isn't a 427 unless you tell them.

Or wait a while and get the new ZZ427 crate engine when it's released.

Other than that I'd say the search for a usable low deck 427 passenger car or light truck block continues.

Tom

Another option would be the GM remanufactured 454 I'm not sure what the CR is but it is a regular gas engine with a fuel pump boss that you could dress up as an original 427 in appearance. I'm sure it would be a good mild street performer with a cam upgrade. The price is hard to beat and it has a 36 month/100,000 mile warranty.

oops. Wrong link. Fixed it.

Another option would be the GM remanufactured 454 I'm not sure what the CR is but it is a regular gas engine with a fuel pump boss that you could dress up as an original 427 in appearance. I'm sure it would be a good mild street performer with a cam upgrade. The price is hard to beat and it has a 36 month/100,000 mile warranty.

oops. Wrong link. Fixed it.

A truck block would be cool! You can get a 496 kit for the tall deck for just a little more than for a standard deck, not a problem. The real problems are not with the performance you could get, it will be as already stated and that is fitment! Brake booster, headers and carb!

This is a GMPP 572-620 in my 1974.
gmpp-572.jpg

Al

Thanks for all the quick replies.. He want a 427 in his 68 because that is what was originally in the car. He don't care about numbers matching. I asked about the truck engine because it is cheap and easy to find, but apparently it won't fit. We will keep looking. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for all the quick replies.. He want a 427 in his 68 because that is what was originally in the car. He don't care about numbers matching. I asked about the truck engine because it is cheap and easy to find, but apparently it won't fit. We will keep looking. Thanks again guys.

That might be the best idea unless your going for big time performance! Finding an intake will be a real problem! With tall decks you have peanut port intakes (zero performance) and all out performance single plan intakes that are TALL! They do make it hard!

Al:)

I may be a bit late in this thread, but another problem using a tall deck block is that it's wider. Headers/exhaust will be a problem in a Vette, with the steering box almost touching the headers on a standard deck block. Intake/heads would not be an issue, there are spacers to place a HP intake on that block, and as many said, hood clearance is a problem.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom