Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window cleaning

navy2kcoupe

Corvette
2000 Navy Blue Coupe A4 Z51
All you coupe owners out there, I need your ;help . I've discovered that one of the downsides to owning a coupe is TRYING to clean the inside of the rear window! I've tried several ways to clean that piece of #*%^$ (glass), as well as a few different products, but I always wind up with streaks and a window that still looks dirty :hb . I'd be really grateful ;worship for any info that would help me get this piece of glass clean once and for all. What works for you, both method wise, as well as product wise? Thanks in advance for any help and info you can provide.
Andy :w

First, use a glass cleaner like Stoner's Invisible glass. That gets the film off from vinyl outgassing. Then, two microfiber towels, one wet, one dry. Wipe glass with wet towel, then dry it with remaining towel. This method works well on all the glass. I use it on my Vette and on my street rod.

All you coupe owners out there, I need your ;help . I've discovered that one of the downsides to owning a coupe is TRYING to clean the inside of the rear window! I've tried several ways to clean that piece of #*%^$ (glass), as well as a few different products, but I always wind up with streaks and a window that still looks dirty :hb . I'd be really grateful ;worship for any info that would help me get this piece of glass clean once and for all. What works for you, both method wise, as well as product wise? Thanks in advance for any help and info you can provide.
here is what GM has to say about cleaning the windows

I know everyone recommends Stoners, but the stuff has never worked for me (we must have a better grade of dirt here in SoCal ;) ). All it seems to do for me is smear.

I've found two things that work.
1. Warm water and white vinegar​
2. Dirtex (in aerosol can) *
savdirtxspry.jpg
Either way, I do the initial cleaning with crumpled newspaper, then buff clean with a microfiber cloth.

* Dirtex contains ammonia, so be sure it is safe to use on your window tint (it is on mine) - available at Home Depot.

What about the inside of the front windshield? It's almost impossible!! Unless you are built like Twiggy !!...Did I just say Twiggy? Guess I gave my age away lol. I also use Stoners and think it works great but if you really want to get to the glass thru all the road grime...I pour clear ammonia on some paper towels wash the window with that as you hold breath.... then use the stoners or just windex. It gets everything off!:w

First, use a glass cleaner like Stoner's Invisible glass. That gets the film off from vinyl outgassing. Then, two microfiber towels, one wet, one dry. Wipe glass with wet towel, then dry it with remaining towel. This method works well on all the glass. I use it on my Vette and on my street rod.

THERE'S THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!

There's a few threads on window cleaning in the Care & Detailing Forum. In some of those threads, the advice given is that the best window cleaning involves your medium of choice (non-ammonium based window cleaner, Stoners, Dirtex, what have you), but using scrunched up newspaper to clean it off the window. Yes, black and white newsprint.

I haven't tried it personally, but in some of those threads, the ones who have seem to swear by it. Anyone here in the C5 forums tried using newspaper? If so, let us know your results.

-Patrick

For years I struggled with the same problem, until someone told me about Stoners Invisible Glass, with a micro-towel as someone else suggestion. Nothing else works quite like - not even close.

Clean Glass

I agree - Stoner's Invisible Glass Cleaner and a micro-fiber towel.
Remo:cool

Another vote for Stoners.

Becuase of the plastics and glues used in a car production, when the sun bakes the car, the car releases chemicals that wind up being extracted and deposited.

Take a mix of 50/50 water and alochol and wipe down the windows. Then use Stoners, you should be good to go...

Peace
Chip

Thanks

Thanks for the advice about Stoners. Is this easily purchased at an auto parts store? I was beginning to think I was the only one who couldn't get the front and back windows streak-free (mine's a c6, but seems to be the same problem.) Will give it a try. :)

Thanks for the advice about Stoners. Is this easily purchased at an auto parts store? I was beginning to think I was the only one who couldn't get the front and back windows streak-free (mine's a c6, but seems to be the same problem.) Will give it a try. :)

Wal-Mart, auto parts store, anywhere.
I don't even use windex on my house windows or mirrors anymore - It's Invisible Glass or nothing.

By the way, it comes in a black (with blue/green image on front) aerosol can with a yellow cap!

Stoners Invisible Glass

How's this for a visual aid?
Remo:cool

Photo-Can91164-02C.jpg

I use "Mequiar's nxt generation Glass Cleaner" and a microfiber on my '99 vert. I have used newspaper on other cars I have had and it works great. Use rubber gloves to keep your hands from getting black though.

I have used the crumpled black and white newspaper because I had heard good things about that method, but I really didn't like it as much as what has been a huge success for me...Invisible Glass and two microfiber towels.

Use two microfiber towels...one slightly damp and the other dry. Spray Invisible Glass on the glass, wipe off with slightly damp microfiber and then go over again with the dry one. Never fails for me!

Elaine

I use Stoner's even with a tint on the rear hatch glass.

Instead of buying expensive tools to help clean the inside of the front windshield just get yourself a cheap plastic spatula from Target, etc. and some good dish cloths rubber banded around the spatula.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom