Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Windshield Q

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Will a ZR-1 windshield fit any C4, or are they specific?

From the factory they came with a "coated" windshield, and was wondering if it would fit in a non- ZR1. I know they cost more- who would have guessed.

Thanks.
Mike

There is a special windshiled for the ZR1, it is a DW (domestic windshield)1085. My program shows that it is a solar coatiog that will keep cabin temps down so the AC doesn't have to work as hard. However they are expensive as poo, with a $3581.35 nags price. If we can get the glass and still get our regular discount you'd be looking at $989.00 plus tax, and I would highly suggest getting a new moulding to the tune of 175.00.
The truth of the matter is that the windshield would not perform noticablly different. I'd stick with the DW1112 that the car came with.

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center Glasman66!

Now that's really cool - we have a glass-knowledgeable member in our midst. I'm glad you found us Stan, and I'm sure that your knowledge will be of immense value to many of us here. :upthumbs

/Ken: Now that's really cool - we have a glass-knowledgeable member in our midst. I'm glad you found us Stan, and I'm sure that your knowledge will be of immense value to many of us here.

AGREED!!! ;stupid ;stupid ;stupid
JACK:gap

Topless said:
Will a ZR-1 windshield fit any C4, or are they specific?

From the factory they came with a "coated" windshield, and was wondering if it would fit in a non- ZR1. I know they cost more- who would have guessed.

Thanks.
Mike

Yes....a ZR-1 windshield will fit in a standard Corvette. The ZR-1 is unique starting from the doors back. The doors slowly start to "bulge" in the middle and the bodywork expands outward after that. Everything else, forward, is standard C4.

The ZR-1 windshield is coated with a special UV protectant coating. This was done in order to compensate for the smaller AC compressor used. Because of the size of the LT5 engine, they had to use a smaller AC system than that found on a standard C4. In order to compensate and keep the interior cool, they used the special windshield in order to block out the suns UV rays.

The one main problem with this windshield is that over time, it begins to delaminate. On a fair number of ZR-1s you'll notice that the windshield has a blotchy appearance. The main color of the windshield may be blue, but you'll notice patches of yellow. This is most commonly seen near the top and side edges of the windshield.

I have been in contact for over a month now with the company that manufacturered the windshields in order to determine the cause of the delamination effect and any possible solutions. Unfortunately, they have neglected to get back to me other than to say that they have forwarded my request for information to their technical team. I have not heard back from them. As soon as I do, I'll be putting together a technical article which I'll announce in the ZR-1 forum and place in the Knowledgebase here at the CAC.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Many of the Callaway TTs got the Koolof (that's what it's called) windshield manufactured by Lof Glass. (a.k.a. ZR1 windshield). I have one and it's a POS. I believe it's a layer of solar film laminated into the glass and not a coating. It delaminates just like Rob describes. Save your money for something worth doing. If I replaced mine I might look for one of these windshields just to keep the car original... otherwise I'd want a standard tinted windshield.

I have $0 deductable glass on my insurance, so if I can get a glass shop to put one in, I might do it. The sun is mighty powerful up here in Denver (less atmosphere and all). I can get a windshield every 6 months if I want.

Thanks for the info. I will try to get the moulding too.

-Mike

Sorry Topless but the truth is that when the glass company goes to file the claim they will not pay for the ZR1 glass unless your vin shows that it is a ZR1. And trust me they check. This ionclues the HUD windshields too. They watch us like hawks and don't pay out a penny more then they have to.

I even have to get up thier but just to get them to pay for a new wheather strip for around the shield. Delamination is a weird deal. I seen it happen but it is pretty rare. Usually it is from poor manufacturing. Keep in mind when they make a windsield run they will may enough to cover themselves for years. The demand for that windshield would be light so there are still plenty of the crap ones still out there.

Glasman66 said:
Delamination is a weird deal. I seen it happen but it is pretty rare. Usually it is from poor manufacturing. Keep in mind when they make a windsield run they will may enough to cover themselves for years. The demand for that windshield would be light so there are still plenty of the crap ones still out there.

Actually, you may be surprised, but a large number of ZR-1s are afflicted with this delamination problem. Several ZR-1 owners that I'm in touch with have had problems locating an original ZR-1 windshield that does not have the delamination taking place. In many cases, they have received 2-3 windshields that are NOS and they've rejected them due to the delamination.

Factor in that there are two different types of ZR-1 windshield, one with a small cutout and one with a large cutout (base of the windshield). The one with the large cutout was used in the early ZR-1s and the smaller cutout was used on the later model years. If you're a ZR-1 owner who wants to replace his/her windshield, you may have a difficult time locating a trouble free, correct windshield for your model year ZR-1.

For those of you that are not familiar with what I'm talking about, if you look at a ZR-1 head on or from behind the wheel, you'll notice a square or rectangular area at the base of the windshield...almost in the middle where there is no UV protective coating. This was done to allow garage door openers to operate. Legend has it that it was actually done to allow radar detectors to operate because the UV protective coating blocks the radar transmission. While this legend may or may not be true, the fact remains, garage door openers and Toll passes (as used here in the Northern Virginia area) will not operate when behind the windshield. I can personally attest to this as I have to stick my hand out the window with either my garage door opener or Toll pass to operate them.

93zr1a.jpg

I do agree, getting the insurance company to foot the bill for this will be difficult as the car in question is not a genuine ZR-1 and did not come equipped with this option from the factory.

Here is my own personal advice....don't waste the money on a ZR-1 windshield. There is no guarantee that you will get one free of delamination. There is no guarantee you will get one that will not delaminate to the point that it begins to obstruct vision (although rare, I have heard of one or two cases of this happening).

If you really want to try and keep the interior of your Corvette cool.....put the solid roof panel on your car and tint your side windows and rear glass hatch. The rear glass hatch is an enormous piece of glass and when combined with the glass roof panel, you might as well be sitting in a greenhouse because that's the exact same effect your creating. A ZR-1 windshield is not going to keep you cooler than a non-ZR-1 windshield. Take it from my personal experience. When it's hot....it's hot and a windshield made with UV protective coating is not enough to prevent it from getting like a greenhouse inside your Corvette.

Rob, I checked my parts book and the only one I come up with 1990-95 is a DW1085. Most likley the one you're talking about must have been the the original OEM. It blows my mind that they would have made a separate manufacturing run.

Thanks for the info. Since I have a convrt, I don't have the big back window. Though I have thought about getting the removable hardtop cut for a targa top. Then I would have all three tops !!

I did not realize the the delamination was such a problem. Has anyone tried tinting the inside of the windshield to get the same type of coating?

Mike

From what I understand it is illegal to tint the front windshield. However I've seen it done. The funniest ting I've ever seen was a ML320 at one of the dealers we do with limo tint all around and a 35% for the front windshield. Even during the day you couldn't see a damn thing I can't imagine what it would be like at night.

You might be able to get a guy to do it for cash with no receipt.

Glassman-

My friend had that exact thing done to his S430. I drove next to it, and I will tell you that Elvis could have been driving, and no one would have know any different.

I did drive it like that, day and night. It is, hum, different at night to drive. The HID helps, but it is not easy to drive that way.

I was actually thinking of something more reflective than dark. Just want to bounce some of the heat rays, not so much the light.

Mike

They have film that is suppose to be for home use that might do the job.

Great, thanks.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom