Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Windshield replacement

540vette

Corvette
77 with a blown 540 in it.99 convertible all stock
Has anyone done this. I need to replace mine. The insurance dosen't cover it because my deductible is $1000.
I have done windshields on various cars and need the process to do this.
Windshield places want over $1000 to do this.

Has anyone done this. I need to replace mine. The insurance dosen't cover it because my deductible is $1000.
I have done windshields on various cars and need the process to do this.
Windshield places want over $1000 to do this.
It's best left to a professional,They ain't like the old days when you just needed a Molding Tool,Piano Wire and a roll of 3M Butyl tape!!:L
The windshield is glued in with Urethane and has to be glued back in with Urethane otherwise you compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle!!:thumb
You'll need a Electric or Pneumatic windshield knife,and know how to use it!!(Dash and Trim pieces ain't cheap!!)You'll probly need a molding or two and a A pillar weather strip,on a vehicle as old as 99 it will probly come out with allot of tears or in pieces!!:thumb

Yeah,I've done few of them,Like 2-3 a month!! :beer

How do you do the windshield. I did windshields before on other year corvettes and am going to do this one. If I had the service manual I wouldn't need to ask. How does the outside windshield trim come off.
I know about the the yretjane glue to put it in I have done cars with that.

Had a pro replace mine in RI and if I remember correctly it was under $400.

How is the windshield replaced.

I replaced many windshields new and old. I know how to install them

I just need to know, because I don't have the shop manual how to remove the outside trim and weatherstripping. I know where all the screws are and the mounting points I just need to know the proper procedure to do it.

How is the windshield replaced.

I replaced many windshields new and old. I know how to install them

I just need to know, because I don't have the shop manual how to remove the outside trim and weatherstripping. I know where all the screws are and the mounting points I just need to know the proper procedure to do it.
Got a fax #?? There are about 25 pages on proper procedure of replacing the windshield!! :D
I've tried to post it but couldn't "Getter Done"!!:beer

Thank you for the answer I was looking for and the help.
I don't personally have a fax machine but you can send it to the local staples store(I have already spoken to them) The number there is 631-543-1658.
Just let me know when you send it so I can go over and pick it up.

Make it attention Steven corvette windshield.

Thanks for your help

Just let me know when you send it so I can go over and pick it up.

Make it attention Steven corvette windshield.

Thanks for your help
It's There!!:thumb
If you have questions Call me!! The Toll free # is on my web site!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Thank you very much for your help and time. Your website is now booked marked. I need a l/s headlight door and the same side turnsignal.

I don't know why some people answer questions with leave it to a pro. Maybe I know what I am doing and just ran into something that I need an answer to.

I have been on 2 corvette forums with this question and most of the answers were leave it to the pro. I have been working on cars of all sorts for 30 years and know my way around them. I don't need someone who dosen't do any work on their cars to tell me to leave it to a pro. I don't want someone tearing up parts when it isn't needed.
How many times have guys complained about the "pros" messing up their cars.

If someone askes a question answer it the best you can.

I don't know why some people answer questions with leave it to a pro.
I normally don't!:thumb
Maybe I know what I am doing and just ran into something that I need an answer to.
I don't know that,for all I know is you don't know what your doing and think you can just snap your fingers and it's done right!!;shrug
I have been on 2 corvette forums with this question and most of the answers were leave it to the pro. I have been working on cars of all sorts for 30 years and know my way around them. I don't need someone who dosen't do any work on their cars to tell me to leave it to a pro. I don't want someone tearing up parts when it isn't needed..
Oh,I can assure you I work on my Own and Lots of Customer Cars!!:D:D:D
How many times have guys complained about the "pros" messing up their cars.
You won't hear about how this Pro messed up someones car!!:thumb The only complaint you'll hear is"He always booked up and he's too slow"!!:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle There is only 2 ways to do a job,either Fast or Slow!! I'll take the slow road,because I don't want the job Half-Fast!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

If someone askes a question answer it the best you can.
Ok,No Problem!! Now that I know that you know what your doing,Be careful removing the weatherstrip and reveal moldings!!Sometimes there glued in there purdy good and the rubber tears and the plastic breaks!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
:beer

Sprayed them down with 3M weatherstrip remover. Walked away for 20 minutes. Came back and had the whole thing apart and cleaned up in 30 minutes.

Any one that lets a "pro" rip theirs off is getting ripped off. The only way I can see tearing this stuff up is if you are in a hurry.

Heres a project I have been working when I get the chance.
Pictures by 67geeto - Photobucket

Thanks again
steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom