Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

windshield wiper problems

tomj1404

Corvette
The windshield wipers on my '82 turn on every time the car shifts into overdrive, and they wont turn off until it downshifts. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I already tried replacing the switch but it still does the same thing even with the new switch.

TomJ,
Do you have wiring diagrams for your car??
This one has baffled me ever since I first read it. I'm trying to figure out whats electrical about the car shifting into overdrive (other than some input/output from the computer). One would think you have a short somewhere but it's kind of hard to troubleshoot when it only happens while you are driving.
Is this the only scenario where the wipers come on uncommanded??

it only does it when it shifts into overdrive, but I can click the switch up once, and at that position the wipers wont turn on at all, I think it's the intermittant/delay setting. So there's no power at that setting and when the switch is all the way down they turn on in overdrive, I hate wiring problems.

I'll keep looking at the wiring diagrams....let me know if you find the problem.
Have you had any other problems with the electrical system??

yeah there are some other problems

My dash light for my left turn signal turns stays on when the lights are on, the dome light only works with the switch, not when the doors open (I like this though because I hated how it turned on as soon as you turn off the key,) power door locks don't work, (got new switches but that didn't help,) and just today on the way home my speedo and tach lights turned on when I turned on the lights, but not the center guages, then after a minute the center ones turned on, this is a new one.

WOW!
I don't know where to begin other than saying you need an electrician. It sounds like you have a short somewhere for the wiper problem, loose ground or loose bulbs for the center guage lights, the courtesy light could be the door switches or wiring.
Any weird electrical smells?? I had an 81 that burnt up the fuse block, how does your look under the dash??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom