Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Windshield Wipers - Strange Problem

C598LS1

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver C5 Coupe MN6
I just replaced my 98 C5's battery today with an Optima Yellow Top....all was well after that, except my windshield wipers raised a bit off where they are supposed to sit. As i was driving, the wipers then started to move on their own, at their own will, and stop randomly then start back up again; no matter where I had the stick positioned on the column. :confused:confused Pretty embarassing, needless to say. Can anyone tell me what is wrong or what i can do to solve this issue? ;shrug

Bump

I'm going to take a stab at this one. Since you just replaced the battery, perhaps you should be looking in that area for wire connections that are loose or corroded. It kind of sounds like a grounding problem. Good luck.

I checked all the wires in that area, and everything looks clean and not corroded at all.....the ONLY thing i have control over with the stem on the column is the speed at which it wipes....unless it stops, which is completely on its own, and in no particular place on the windshield...

Did you washed your car since replacing the battery?

I'm going to take a stab at this one. Since you just replaced the battery, perhaps you should be looking in that area for wire connections that are loose or corroded. It kind of sounds like a grounding problem. Good luck.

Is it posible you disconnected anything else? Sounds like you have a loose or bad connection OR a bad switch. Like the wiper system final seat position switch. In the wiper system is a tiny switch that indicates that the wipers are seated in the downmost position and suts off the system. I believe it's in the wiper module. I would cycle the wipers again and provided they back to rest in the downmost position and is off, disconnect the battey, wait a minute or so, check the connections and reconnect making sure you connect the positive first the ground last. and see if this doesn't fix it. just my 0.02

Did you washed your car since replacing the battery?

I washed it, but AFTER it started doing this. Meaning, i changed the battery out, then the wipers started behaving this way, when i took it for a ride, but i still washed it after.

Is it posible you disconnected anything else? Sounds like you have a loose or bad connection OR a bad switch. Like the wiper system final seat position switch. In the wiper system is a tiny switch that indicates that the wipers are seated in the downmost position and suts off the system. I believe it's in the wiper module. I wold cycle the wipers again and provided they back to rest in the downmost position and is off, disconnect the battey, wait a minute or so, check the connections and reconnect making sure you connect the positive first the ground last. and see if this doesn't fix it. just my 0.02

I'll double check, but I didnt see anything loose or disconnected when i replaced the battery. It was a direct, simple swap. What do you mean by cycling the wipers? They are now completely working independently of any control from the cockpit. The ONLY thing i can do with the wipers is increase or decrease their speed, but i cannot make them stop, and even when i increase or decrease the speed, they will stop on their own when they feel like it. I'll try the disconnect/reconnect battery proceedure though...

I washed it, but AFTER it started doing this. Meaning, i changed the battery out, then the wipers started behaving this way, when i took it for a ride, but i still washed it after.

I'll double check, but I didnt see anything loose or disconnected when i replaced the battery. It was a direct, simple swap. What do you mean by cycling the wipers? They are now completely working independently of any control from the cockpit. The ONLY thing i can do with the wipers is increase or decrease their speed, but i cannot make them stop, and even when i increase or decrease the speed, they will stop on their own when they feel like it. I'll try the disconnect/reconnect battery proceedure though...

I've seen this problem on other chevy's and corvettes. What i mean by cycle is turn on the wipers like with the washer control, let the wiper/washers spray and the wipers go through the process of wiping and then return to the seated position off and still. then disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few minutes, reconnect with the positive first and the negitive last and then see if they continue to operate on their own. At that point you have a problem in the wiper mechanism. It's a problem with the wiper unit itself.

The reason I asked if you washed the car is because you described symptoms of a somewhat common problem of water getting inside motor module. It is usually due to plugged up drain system. Sounds like that is not the cause, but I would still suspect it's the module under the wiper motor.

I've seen this problem on other chevy's and corvettes. What i mean by cycle is turn on the wipers like with the washer control, let the wiper/washers spray and the wipers go through the process of wiping and then return to the seated position off and still. then disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few minutes, reconnect with the positive first and the negitive last and then see if their continue to operate on their own. At that point you have a problem in the wiper mechanism. It's a problem with the wiper unit itself.

While driving it yesterday, i sprayed the washer fluid once but the wipers didnt move...only the washer fluid stayed on the windshield and the wipers didnt move at all....until they decided to move on their own later...

The reason I asked if you washed the car is because you described symptoms of a somewhat common problem of water getting inside motor module. It is usually due to plugged up drain system. Sounds like that is not the cause, but I would still suspect it's the module under the wiper motor.

Dumb question, but whereabouts is the wiper motor....maybe i can look at it at some point today..

I suspect the rubber drain udders under the cowl are clogged and backed-up with water (probably when you washed the car).

If the cowl does not drain quickly, it can damage an electronic control module attached to the C5 wiper motor.

Are you aware of how to clear / clean the rubber udders?

The motor and module are on the driver side under the fascia. The udders are under that and can be seen or felt (sorry could not resist:chuckle) right next to the brake booster in front of the firewall. There are two of them on the driver side and a single one on the passenger side. If you search CAC forums you will find pictures. I'll try to do that for you later when I'll have the time. If it's moisture in the module sometimes it will dry out over several days and the problem will go away. Anyway that is the best scenario, alternative is to replace the module.

I suspect the rubber drain udders under the cowl are clogged and backed-up with water (probably when you washed the car).

If the cowl does not drain quickly, it can damage an electronic control module attached to the C5 wiper motor.

Are you aware of how to clear / clean the rubber udders?

Hmmm....will have to check these.....no, i am not aware but the below might just help me...

The motor and module are on the driver side under the fascia. The udders are under that and can be seen or felt (sorry could not resist:chuckle) right next to the brake booster in front of the firewall. There are two of them on the driver side and a single one on the passenger side. If you search CAC forums you will find pictures. I'll try to do that for you later when I'll have the time. If it's moisture in the module sometimes it will dry out over several days and the problem will go away. Anyway that is the best scenario, alternative is to replace the module.

LOL!!! If i try that and the car goes "MOO!", it'll be in the classifieds within the hour-especially if it starts squirting milk. Thanks Zagger :upthumbs Pics would help...probably wont be able to get to it till Tuesday though, since today was a family day and i'm exhausted.

Hmmm....will have to check these.....no, i am not aware but the below might just help me...

LOL!!! If i try that and the car goes "MOO!", it'll be in the classifieds within the hour-especially if it starts squirting milk. Thanks Zagger :upthumbs Pics would help...probably wont be able to get to it till Tuesday though, since today was a family day and i'm exhausted.

There are actually three udders on the driver's side. You can reach under the cowl, between the windshield washer fluid resovoir and the cowl. Two are near the front of the cowl - the third one is behind the other two. The third one can be reached - it is just a tight fit.

The one on the passenger side is much longer, and only can be reached by removing the battery and tray, or the right front wheel well access panel. If the other three are clear, the cowl will drain quickly.

If they are clogged and do not allow the cowl to drain quickly, it can damage the wiper control module.

Good luck. The module is a seperate part from the wiper motor.

There are actually three udders on the driver's side. You can reach under the cowl, between the windshield washer fluid resovoir and the cowl. Two are near the front of the cowl - the third one is behind the other two. The third one can be reached - it is just a tight fit.

The one on the passenger side is much longer, and only can be reached by removing the battery and tray, or the right front wheel well access panel. If the other three are clear, the cowl will drain quickly.

If they are clogged and do not allow the cowl to drain quickly, it can damage the wiper control module.

Good luck. The module is a seperate part from the wiper motor.

Thank you:upthumbs:upthumbs They are calling for rain tomorrow, so I will have to hold off until tuesday to take her out and check these-if it does rain. If not, i should be able to get to it after work.

If anyone can provide a simple picture, that would help alot...but if not, no big deal. Thanks for all the responses so far :):cool

******UPDATE********

Had some real nice weather today, so I checked those 3 drain hoses....they are all completely empty! And while I was there, I let the car idle and run for a bit and the wipers started moving again, then shut off, then stated moving again and didnt stop until i shut the car down. What the hell is going on?? :confused:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom