Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Winking" headlight

Derrick

Corvette
1975 Coupe
Hey guys when I turn my headlights on, only the right headlight pops up....I can go over to the left headlight and give it a little lift and then it'll go all the way up. It stays up fine and goes down when I turn the lights off???

Could it be possible that I have a crimped vacuum hose somewhere?

It sounds like you need to rebuild the actuator. It is real easy to do, just replace the seals. Kits are cheep also. I did mine in a couple of hours.
Good luck
Jim

jclit said:
It sounds like you need to rebuild the actuator. It is real easy to do, just replace the seals. Kits are cheep also. I did mine in a couple of hours.
Good luck
Jim

I would assume the lights need the most vacuum to lift the lights....so an old seal could be causing a leak at the actuator causing the headlight to need help going up?

Why would you guess the actuator and not just a vacuum hose?

To raise the headlight, vacuum is applied to the front half of the actuator, pushing the the shaft out. On the haft is a seal the frequently leaks because of either a tear, or it simply may be loose and not sealing. Check that, it's an easy fix. New seals about $12-15 as of last summer when I did mine. It may also be the linkage is dirty, binding.

Derrick said:
I would assume the lights need the most vacuum to lift the lights....so an old seal could be causing a leak at the actuator causing the headlight to need help going up?

Why would you guess the actuator and not just a vacuum hose?

I would guess the actuator because it is common for them to go bad. Of corse I would check the hoses first but I bet it's an actuator.

Just sounds like it.
Jim

thanks for the help fellas!

Crude but easy to verify. Find th hose the goes to the front of the problematic actuator. Disconnect it at the distribution valve (center of cross frame). Blow into the hose. The light should rise. Once it has risen you should not be able to blow any more air into it...you should get resistance. If you can continue to blow once it has risen without 100% resistance there is a leak in the front seal. This seal is about $8 at Ecklers. Its easy to get to and easy to replace.

Jim

I would recommend AGAINST blowing into the actuators

1) just because it works with pressure doesn't mean it will work as designed with a vacuum

2) blowing into the front part of the actuator can dislodge the seal from the actuator rod creating a problem that did not exist before.

I thought one was pressure and one was vaccum. Regardless its usually the magician hat shaped seal on the front the goes. Mine was torn. It was like blowing through a straw. Cheap and easy to replace. Now if its the back one...its internal and not replaceable although I have heard some have tried.

Jim

Derrick,
Quite possible a hose is kinked as you stated. I had a bad actuator and NEITHER headlight would raise. After I plugged the hose to the bad one, the other one raised. A vacuum pump is the accurate way to test for a bad actuator seal. Just my opinion.
Craig

Specifically check the rubber seal that slides over the actuator rod and connect to the actuator itself. Some call it a "witch's hat". Also, I not sure if this may affect your year or not, but the light switch itself has two vacuum lines that run into it. You could potentially be getting an air leak there.

I really haven't had a chance to look into the headlight issue all that much lately. If you guys have read my other thread, I'm having starter issues that's keeping the Vette sidelined for a while. I'll definetly check the areas you guys mentioned and will keep you posted on the situation.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!!

Two weeks ago I had a similar problem as yours only the right side on mine. I found two things that corrected the problem for me:

1. There was a small vacuum leak in the line about an inch from the end where it attaches to the actuator. I retrimmed the line and re-attached it.

2. The linkage system on the headlights was dry and rusty. I removed the headlights and the holders so I could get at all the linkage, cleaned and lubricated all the moving and sliding parts.

Now they come up instantly and lock into position.

Bill

Do they come up simultaneously? I've had the car for a year now and one side has always come up faster than the other.

Definitely get the vaccum pump. I bought mine when I first got the car 4 years ago and it is a great tool for diagnosing vacuum issues. For example, you could pressurize the system here and know within a short period of time whether you have leaking vacuum or bad mechanicals.

Derrick said:
Do they come up simultaneously? I've had the car for a year now and one side has always come up faster than the other.

That's going to be normal, mine does the same thing. Sometimes they're pretty close together but never exact. There's too many mechanical things going on with each light to ever make them in sync. Be thankful when they actually come up and light!

You may want to change the check valve near the distributor cap. There are 2, a single hose connection (white) and a double hose connection (silver).

I replaced my relays about year ago and no blinking headlights. Then over the last couple of months, my engine started to run ruff when the lights were on. I knew it was a leak in the system somewhere. I checked the seals on the actuators and they were bad. I bought replacement seals and in about 3 hours had them popping up with no problem. Then I decided to replace the Headlight Switch (bought it at the same time I bought the seals) due to the interior lights would not come on from the switch. The switch I bought must have had a defect cause it turned bright red with heat and had a very bad burning smell. So, I thought lets just put the old switch back in until I get another one, but no...now it keeps blowing fuses. It's still torn down and waiting for the new one. Busted, scraped up hands and all. I should have just repaired the leak and left well enough alone.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom