Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Winter's....... This is the worst yet!

Sad ,I put the car up for the next 120 days.But I bought Jan tickets for Florida and Feb tickets for the 500 .Now all thats left is March.
Where and when in January? There's a NCRS show in Orlando the 19th 20th and 21st I believe. Are you heading there?
Andy Anderson

My Corvette has been in the garage since Tuesday. :mad

A snowstorm blew in here Tuesday afternoon and dumped 8 inches overnight. Ordinarily, I'd be back driving the Vette by weeks end- snows don't last long around here. But when the storm blew itself out Wednesday afternoon, the temps plummeted. Overnight lows in negative numbers. Afternoon highs that don't reach 20 degrees farenheit. So... nothing is melting. The roads are all still ice encrusted, sand and gravel strewn sources of vexation. Trying to drive a Z06, with all that real wheel torque and no weight, fishtailing the back end (even in second gear) when you try to go from a dead stop, hearing every piece of gravel on the road rebound off the wheel wells, that feeling of helplessness as you approach an intersection/see the light turn red/step on the break/and still feel yourself gliding perilously close to stopping in the middle of the intersection, the mild sense of panic when the "active handling warming up" light keeps coming on and chiming at you... well, you get the idea. It's not fun.

Friday looked promising- it got up to almost 40 degrees. But the hope that this warming trend might make things palatable to drive by Sunday got dashed. Another snow storm blew in here yesterday, and blew out in a few hours, followed by yet another temperature plummet.

I appreciate having a comfortable winter driving vehicle for days like this, and I can take some comfort in the fact that my Z06 is all clean and shiny, sitting in a nice warm garage, unphased by this weather. But it's irritating having to wait for all this stuff to melt so I can get a chance to drive her again.

Remo, I'm borrowing some of your meds for now. :cry

-Patrick

If it would make you feel any better I drove around friday 12/29 with the top down the heater off and short sleeve shirt.

Where and when in January? There's a NCRS show in Orlando the 19th 20th and 21st I believe. Are you heading there?
Andy Anderson
The norm is for me to store @Conway self storage next to Orlando airport.Like yourself it's great to have the twelve month window.This year it's in storage in my Maine garage getting ready to be sold ASAP.My wife and I are coming down on bus. in Key West Jan 18-25th.Would love to go to the NCRS and/or other Corvette functions next year .The c-6 will end up a snow bird so keep in touch. :Steer

If it would make you feel any better I drove around friday 12/29 with the top down the heater off and short sleeve shirt.

Well, I'm glad some of you are getting to enjoy your Vettes. C5Y2K, since I wrote the post you quoted in your response, I've had to endure a blizzard four days before Christmas that dumped 36 inches of snow, and another storm this past Thursday that dumped an additional 18 inches of snow. My poor Z06 is getting restless just sitting in the garage right now, and at the rate the melting is happening, it could be weeks before I can her out again.

But don't worry about me- drive 'em if you can and enjoy! I'll just live vicariously through everyone else's trip reports.

:w
-Patrick

Well, I'm glad some of you are getting to enjoy your Vettes. C5Y2K, since I wrote the post you quoted in your response, I've had to endure a blizzard four days before Christmas that dumped 36 inches of snow, and another storm this past Thursday that dumped an additional 18 inches of snow. My poor Z06 is getting restless just sitting in the garage right now, and at the rate the melting is happening, it could be weeks before I can her out again.

But don't worry about me- drive 'em if you can and enjoy! I'll just live vicariously through everyone else's trip reports.

-Patrick

I'm glad I could help :L I've heard all about the fun ya'll are having my brother-in-law lives in Co. Springs. Stay safe out their.

Hate to rub it in gang......In New Jersey as of today still no snow which means no salt on the roads. Had my C4 out just earlier today. My daughter will be riding in her C5 Barbie convertible that Santa gave her in a few minutes!!! It is in the mid 40's and sunny! Cant beat the winter here so far.....

Anthony

At this time of year I'm usually wondering how long it'll take them to clean the sand and salt off the streets and highways, but this year is different. I bet we haven't had 1/4" of snow this year, and the streets are still sand free.
I'm glad (right now anyway) that I only put the vette in storage 'till April 1.
I still say we're gonna pay for this nice stretch of weather, but I'll take it.

Weather up here in the Ottawa valley has been quite strange.

I suspended my insurance after a late october snowfall thinking that the snow was coming early this year. I was dead wrong. November could have been prime driving weather, even into December it was OK.

Typically, our weather is unpredictable. Our winters chill you to the bone thanks to the humidity, and summer here is just about as deadly; again the humidity just leeches into you, just brutal sometimes.

Right now were dealing with a snow-then rain-then above freezing regimen. Hopefully the rain backs off for the rest of the winter. Honestly id prefer snow in any amount over rain any day.

As you could imagine, weve learned here that ice can never be too far off, so anytime its slippery out there, the salt trucks are on it. Too bad they never salt my street, the other day it was a 1/4" sheet of ice, i almost wanted to get my skates on.

Hate to rub it in gang......In New Jersey as of today still no snow which means no salt on the roads. Had my C4 out just earlier today. My daughter will be riding in her C5 Barbie convertible that Santa gave her in a few minutes!!! It is in the mid 40's and sunny! Cant beat the winter here so far.....

Anthony

Ya see Global Warming does have some benifits ..its 61 here in Maryland today ....Think Ill take off the targa top and cruze after lunch

My poor Z06 is getting restless just sitting in the garage right now, and at the rate the melting is happening, it could be weeks before I can her out again.

-Patrick

Patrick - I recommend that you invest in something like this for
your winter ride. Good ground clearance and I love the color.
Remo:cool

c34x4.bmp

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom