Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wondering if you should tackle a major project?

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
Some of you may wonder what it's like to tackle a major project, whether the back-to-original-style restoration or a circus-wagon like mine.

As you have seen, there are a million stories surrounding these projects. Certainly RichsCorvettes and JohnZ, to name just two, could tell enough tales to fill ten books.

I don't know why, exactly, but the thought came to my head today, while picking up the final pieces needed for the fuel system, maybe some of you would be interested in seeing an example of costs. So, here's an example......

The cost to simply transport gasoline from the tank to the intake manifold in my car is approximately $CA3,100.00. HUH, you may say!

Boiling out and coating of gas tank inside and out; new sending unit, new mounting straps, anti-squeak pads, filler tube gasket and screws; new stainless steel fuel line along frame rail; Holley electric pump; Holley fuel regulator; Russell braided flex lines; Russell filter; umpteen Russell fittings; Russelle pressure gauge; dual inlet feed; and finally the Holley 850. I've got the receipts. :eek

Think carefully before starting a major, and talk to "the Boss" - the Mrs. :D

67HEAVEN

When it is all said and done, what will the whole project cost?

67HEAVEN said:
A new Z-06.
smiley-yesnod.gif

but yours will have a LOT more power than that new Z-06 and has the classic and beautiful midyear body. I'd say for the money you have the best of both worlds
:beer

67HEAVEN said:
A new Z-06.
smiley-yesnod.gif
You and me both, Bob. I don't even track my expenses anymore; of course I've got all my receipts, but I don't enter the cost into the spread sheet anymore. :eyerole

67HEAVEN said:
A new Z-06.
smiley-yesnod.gif

Ok...!!!! Now Your scaring me...... So like all I'm doing is puting a BB in My SB Car.....I don't have a Mrs. Heaven...Nor A Mrs. John Z.. Nor A Mrs..Richescorvettes.

And I don't live in the land ..Pay Tax when It comes across the border. I am free to clean my carb in the kitchen sink and store the 6 foot long spare tail light from my 73 Thunderchicken in the bathroom.

So...should I Do this conversion????:L

67HEAVEN said:
Suuuuuuuurrrrrre. :D Just keep telling yourself that it won't cost very much. ;LOL

Don't forget to report back. :bang
I have a budget....That's Plan "A"

I have a Second Back up Budget...That's Plan"B"

Then I have a Back Up Back Up Budget....That's Open A lemonade Stand.;LOL

Are you planning to use real lemons? :L

-Mac

Mac said:
Are you planning to use real lemons? :L

-Mac
Heh No Mac.....To expensive. I'll use that powdered gack...:beer

The budget consideration for major projects is always, shall we say, challenging. My wife is pretty supportive when it comes to these kinds of things. Even so, there were times when I had to do some 'splainin as to why I needed stainless lines, why my original budget went "poof" and then my secondary budget went "poof" and I still wasn't driving a Vette. Even when you do the work yourself, the price to play is high.

As the old saying goes "You get what you pay for!"**

-Mac

**unless you buy a carb with your engine package (see Surprise Inside thread) :mad

I've had that "How much will it cost me to body-off restore my car?" question asked of me many times by lots of observers/helpers during many of my body-offs and other project cars over the years, and I've developed a standard answer for those who have never done it before and don't understand all that's involved in taking on a major project: "Compile the best estimate you can based on pricing all the parts you think you'll need and all the outside services you'll have to farm out, then double it, then add 50% of that number, and you'll be pretty close." This is one of the GREAT AUTOMOTIVE TRUTHS, and is the reason so many "partially-restored" Corvettes are sold in boxes.

The other GREAT AUTOMOTIVE TRUTH is "How to make a million restoring Corvettes.........start with three million." It's about the love of the car and pride of personal accomplishment and workmanship, not money. If you know and accept that going in, you'll probably make it - IF you have the dedicated space, time, motivation, discipline, money, and project management skills to carry it through to conclusion. Otherwise, buy a restored car - you'll pay for part of the restoration and get the car for nothing.

JohnZ said:
This is one of the GREAT AUTOMOTIVE TRUTHS, and is the reason so many "partially-restored" (projects) are sold in boxes.
Amen to that! Too many people haven't a clue as to the cost involved, including myself; you learn that very quickly, and repeatedly. :hb

Mark,

I told you I found your motor for you at Carlilse, just wish I had got a pic for you.

Tom
Viet Nam Vett said:
Ok...!!!! Now Your scaring me...... So like all I'm doing is puting a BB in My SB Car.....I don't have a Mrs. Heaven...Nor A Mrs. John Z.. Nor A Mrs..Richescorvettes.

And I don't live in the land ..Pay Tax when It comes across the border. I am free to clean my carb in the kitchen sink and store the 6 foot long spare tail light from my 73 Thunderchicken in the bathroom.

So...should I Do this conversion????:L

I agree with what John says get your best estimate and double it :D I have more money in my 76 then I paid for my 97, but it was over 4 years. I am still not done, the new pistons,rings ,rods are under the bed and the block is at the machine shop for a new short block. At least now when I do the next heart transplant I have something else to drive, and this time I will do something about the paint:L $$$$$

Bob
When you put those numbers together like that,its pretty scary numbers.But quite informative and enlightning.I have done several projects in the past and I feels its very important to write a budjet (Johns formula sounds way out of line ,But unfortunatley its not) and also a detailed battle plan (I am sure you can now understand why I call it a battle plan)

I try to plan step by step what needs to be done and the time frame of when it should be done.As I get into the project I elaborate even further of whats being done and the list almost turn into a "to do list" I start out with a 3 ring binder with avery 15 cut deviders. I then lable them for all of the different sections of the project,Scope of project,Body,paint,drive train, interiour, ect, ect. I keep all of my notes in there,I print out emails,and information I find on the web,( On this project 62 I have allready gained alot of information from John M and Rich L THANKS GUYS ) all of there emails and post are in my book.
I wrip out magazine advertizements,or pictures from magazines.Any car show photos I can use for future reference.You know I was sitting on my porch at carlilse taking notes and some fellow's stopped but to chat about the sr11 frame on my trailer. I showed them my book and all the information and one of the fellows said if I had spent half as much time building as I did planning I would finish the car in 3 years.I explained to him I plan to drive the car to carlilse next year and he just could not belive it can be done.Seems he has done several cars and keeps all of his planning in his head and feels its impossible to do a car in that short a time frame.

Carefull planning is very important to a project its the only way to acomplish one. I always suggest to folks to lay it out on paper to really be able to understand the scope of the project. I finally have figured out a name for my upcoming project "Project 62" And over the last 2 month have had to raise my original rough budjet a bit because of small suprizes and also to invest in some needed tools for the project.

Any one thinking of a major project just get a total scope of what your going to need to do.For sure it will always be cheaper to purchase a car done then to build one,But if your looking for a car like 67 heaven then the only way to get one is to build one your self.
Bob Incase I havent said it in a while I really admire the work you have been doing on 67 heaven and thinks its a peice of art definatley one of a kind

You should be very proud

Alternate View of Car Projects :))

Bob,

I think it was an old TV show that used to say "there are a million stories in the Naked City" and you are right about there being at least that many in the car hobby!

One fellow, who I've been helping on his project, wrote to say he was running into a few issues. So, just to help him keep things in perspective that things could be worse, I sent him an alternative view of the phases some car projects can go through to show him that he could be in a worse fix:

Worse Case Scenerio Car Project Phases:

1). Bright Idea & Planning Phase - excitement and enthusiasm overcome logic, reason and advise of others but, you have a "concrete" plan & budget laid out,
2). Search for the Holy Grail Phase - reality begins to set in as this is more elusive than you thought,
3). Car Acquired Phase - beginning of realization that what you bought has no resemblance to what it looked like when you bought it,
4). Reality Check #1 Phase - "concrete plan" shows first signs of cracks, rethinking of what you have gotten yourself into, double timeframe of initial plan, double initial budget, attempt to pump up enthusiasm,
5). Fresh Start Phase - based on new plan and budget, begin to question sanity, alter components, modify plan and second-guess your reasoning,
6). Determination Phase - ignore all obstacles, press forward with revised plan and try to enlist help of others to share the pain,
7). Reality Check #2 Phase - having found few willing to share your "vision" or the pain, broaden search for anyone who is willing to take your money,
8). Disassembly Phase - disassemble entire car, lose track of critical parts, fill basement, garage, attic and dining room with greasy parts,
9). Construction Phase - first attempt to bring all the old and new parts into harmony,
10). Reality Check #3 Phase - failing to achieve harmony, begin seeking professional help to achieve a drivable end product,
11). Marriage Counseling Phase - try to repair damage to family relationships and reacquaint yourself with the kids and dog,
12). Vacation Phase - things have got to look better after a long cruise,
13). Reality Check #4 Phase - things really don't look any better but, since you've invested this much in the project, you might as well get back at it or sell it,
14). Placing Ads for Uncompleted Project Phase - you decide to get a boat instead and sail away into the sunset..............:))

I guess there's always an alternative view of the world and things could always be worse! Every once in a while during a project you just have to step back and try to put things into perspective.

John Z is absolutely right that a project will usually cost more and take longer than even the best laid plan and budget. As you've seen there are many variables, unforseen issues and "might as wells" that occur during the course of a project. But, that's part of the experience in a major project and par for the course. You've certainly experienced it first hand and I give you all the credit in the world for having the determination to see it through to the end. :Steer

Rich Lagasse

sting66ray said:
Mark,

I told you I found your motor for you at Carlilse, just wish I had got a pic for you.

Tom
Heh Tom...Yeah...I was looking around and I did see a few motors their. One in particular was "Engines By BOB". But Good old Bob aint your local GMPP parts dealer.

I can picture myself calling good old Bob after I throw a rod and asking when is the next time he's gonna be up from Georgia to patch the hole in the side of the Block..!!:L

I didn't really see any one their I'd buy a Motor from. I think I'm gonna stick with GMPP. Thanks for looking though..:beer

Worse Case Scenerio Car Project Phases:

Heh Rich....Enjoyed the "WCSCPP" . My Motto I think also sum's it up...It's called the ..."7P's"

(1) PROPPER
(2) PRIOR
(3) PLANNING
(4) PREVENTS
(5) P_ SS
(6) POOR
(7) PERFORMANCE

Also..enjoyed meeting and speaking with you at Carlisle. Didn't mean to make so short a meeting with you but I could see you were the center of attention and you did not have time to get envolved in a long tech session.

Will hook up agin via phone or email as I progress into the money pit of the BB conversion. You 502- 67 is awsome and I enjoyed seeing it in person.

Mark,

It was good to see you again as well. I hope you got to take some good pictures as we didn't get a chance to get around quite as much as we would have liked.

After that little parade drive on Sunday afternoon the 67 now looks like it has been through the dust bowl - side exhausts are great but they seem to do a great job at blowing every trace of dust everywhere! :L

Just let me know what you have for questions on your project.

Rich

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom