Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Won't start, no lights but battery fully charged

Taco

Corvette
1998 Pewter Convertible
I have a '98 silver convertible that has had the usual problems. Quite a few of the solutions I found right here at the CAC. I had a series of electrical issues that appeared to be caused by corroded ground connections and a weak battery. Now I have been puzzled by an intermittent problem which has not been addressed on this forum. The car seems to have a dead battery. No interior lights when you open the door, no sign of life at all but the battery is fully charged. I checked all the connections on both the hot side and the ground. I hooked up a charger to the battery anyway, mostly to confirm the battery condition, and the car starts and runs normally. I always take the car to the dealer for service, they saw nothing and no electrical codes, suggested a new ignition switch. I would appreciate any help and advice from the board.

This is quite strange, Off the top of my head I would say bad connection somewhere...but is seems that you have checked that.

Maybe GMJunkie will check in here and have a suggestion for you.

Have you went through ALL the Grounds or just part of them??:confusedIf you just went through part of them,Better get ready to go through the rest!!:thumb
Ignition switch I would possibly agree with,But the ignition switch wouldn't have a thing to do with interior lights!!:thumbYou have a ground problem or a B+ problem somewhere between the battery and the components!!I'd start with ALL the grounds and then work my way through the Power Distribution center on the right wheel well above and in front of the Battery!!R&R All fuses and relays and check the spades,sockets and plug connections,and work your way back the fuse panel under the rt passenger foot well floor panel!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

C5 Ground locations below!!
There are also 2-3 grounds on the rear of the engine not shown on the bell housing,but there more for the engine management systems!!
Clean them anyway!:thumb

attachment.php

:w I had a similar problem here in NJ.
I went to start the car and i got the usual click click click.
I thought the batt was gone so I checked lights- ok; connections were tight.
Then I figured that the crazy alarm was bonkers.;shrug I locked the doors, reopened and it started. It only did that once. It was like a reboot!!!:rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom