Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Won't start on first try.

Joe Vette

Corvette
2005 Lemans Blue Coupe
The past 2 days my 2002 coupe when trying to start the engine it acts like it's going to start but then just dies. Usually the second try the engine starts up fine. No codes. Any ideas???

When my 96 acted like that it wasn't holding fuel pressure due to a leak down. Mine turned out to be the check valve in the tank letting the pressure off way too soon. Could be a leaking injector also.

Got a fuel pressure guage?

My brand new 2004 C5 6sp does the same thing. The dealership said it was normal and just to pump the gas pedal a little while cranking it. It fixed it. Now every time I start the car I crank the gas pedal halh way and it fires right up (with a nice growl). I kinda treat it like the old cars with carbs.

Tuna said:
When my 96 acted like that it wasn't holding fuel pressure due to a leak down. Mine turned out to be the check valve in the tank letting the pressure off way too soon. Could be a leaking injector also.

Got a fuel pressure guage?
Now that there does not make any since at all?

Sounds like you are starting a car with a carb on it. Not one that is injected. I have never heard of such a thing on an injected car?

UPDATE.
Well I was on a business trip in Conn. when my problem was happening quite often. So I called C4C5 and it turns out he's about 1 hour from where I am. He tells me come on down I'll be waiting for you. So after Paul and I do a little verbal trouble shooting turns out what's happening is after I release the key from the start position when the key springs back into the "on" position the key was "springing" back a little too far and was actually jumping into the off setting ever so slightly. So by just holding the key slightly to limit the force of the spring back all is fine. Probably will need to replace the contact portion of the cylinder. C4C5 definetly knows his stuff. All this time with Paul for the price of a cup of coffee. Thanks again.
On a sadder note, Monday on my way through Brooklyn heading to DC a truck hit the rear wheel catching my rim with his lug nuts and in addition to ruining the rim he bent something so the wheel doesn't ride true. Not the rim, something in the axle assembly or suspension. So my baby is out of commission waiting on the adjustor. DAMN!!!!

DocAcumen said:
Now that there does not make any since at all?

Sounds like you are starting a car with a carb on it. Not one that is injected. I have never heard of such a thing on an injected car?
Everything in the fuel tank was rusted including the fuel pressure check valve, so the fuel pressure went to zero in a few of seconds of shutdown. It's supposed to hold pressure for 'hours' after shutdown. This contributed to the no start on first try after the motor was hot. Been there, had it happen to me.

So, there you have heard of it.

We replaced everything in the tank and cleaned all the rust out of the tank and lines and it's worked fine ever since.

Joe Vette said:
UPDATE.
... So I called C4C5 and it turns out he's about 1 hour from where I am. He tells me come on down I'll be waiting for you. So after Paul and I do a little verbal trouble shooting turns out what's happening is after I release the key from the start position when the key springs back into the "on" position the key was "springing" back a little too far .... C4C5 definetly knows his stuff. All this time with Paul for the price of a cup of coffee. Thanks again.
On a sadder note, Monday on my way through Brooklyn heading to DC a truck hit the rear wheel catching my rim with his lug nuts and in addition to ruining the rim he bent something so the wheel doesn't ride true. Not the rim, something in the axle assembly or suspension. So my baby is out of commission waiting on the adjustor. DAMN!!!!
Paul KNOWS his stuff. That is terrific you were able to get him to look at it.

That's too bad about your misfortune with the truck. :(

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom