Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Working on your C4...

I have both a 69 and a 93. While haven't done any major repairs myself to either car ( I leave those to my mechanic), I have the Helms manuals for the 93 and the Assembly Manual and Haynes for the 69. The Helms manuals are much more detailed, which is good because the car is more complex.

When you guys talk about the Helms manual, what are you referring to??

The Helms manuals are the Factory Service Manuals (FSM). They can be purchased at

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result....edia=&mscsid=MU4WMRJB4AKQ8LRJCG0S08M0VNHS3QW0

This is for the 1996 model. They can also be found many times on Ebay and in the parts for sale section here on CAC for less money.

Just checked, none on Ebay at present for 96.

Right, those are the two books for the '96?

Also, is there somewhere to get the assembly manual for my '96? I had it for the '78 and it was one of the most helpful form of documentation when it came to assembly/disassembly.

Also, is there somewhere to get the assembly manual for my '96? I had it for the '78 and it was one of the most helpful form of documentation when it came to assembly/disassembly.
I see that Corvette Central sells the assembly manuals but it looks like they only have up to 82.

-Tom

I asked the same question when I bought my 93. There is no Assembly Manual for C4's. The last one is for the 82. The Helms is much more detailed than the AM and are model year specific. Make sure you get the one(s) with the red cover (later years have two volumes). The white cover is a preliminary issue and may not cover everything in the new MY.

I think the C4 is the easiest vette I have worked on. I had 3 C3s but I like the hood access on the C4. My C4 is 300,000 miles old, so I replaced basically everything on the car. The engine was never removed, but I was able to replace the oil pump and rod bearing twice. You can remove the oil pan easily. You can remove the starter without having to remove the exhaust as it is on my C5. It is also easier to remove the tranny on a C4 than on a C5. On a C5 you need to remove torque tube, all rear suspension, and diff. It is also easier to replace wheel bearing on the C4. On the front C5 bearing, you need a special tool to remove the lower A-Arm.

I find the C4 interior easier than the C3. It is also a bit easier to remove the cluster and dash panel on the C4 than it is on the C5. Doors panel are easier to remove on the C5. Seats are the same.

Anyway, it is fun to work on Corvettes. The only differences between C3, 4 & 5 is the following: On C3 you do not need the instruction manual. On the C4, the manual is a couple of inches tick. On the C5, the books are 5 inches high.

I asked the same question when I bought my 93. There is no Assembly Manual for C4's. The last one is for the 82. The Helms is much more detailed than the AM and are model year specific. Make sure you get the one(s) with the red cover (later years have two volumes). The white cover is a preliminary issue and may not cover everything in the new MY.

When GM built the new assembly plant in BG (which I helped build) the process became computer-based, with much of it done by robots, as most of you know.

That's why they moved away from paper assembly manuals. There never were any for the 4th gen cars.

When GM built the new assembly plant in BG (which I helped build) the process became computer-based, with much of it done by robots, as most of you know.

That's why they moved away from paper assembly manuals. There never were any for the 4th gen cars.

Thanks Airbus for that useful info, no need for me to look ant further!

- Tom

At least on a C4 you won't have to set Dwell angles any more. Think you see a lot of pavement on a C3? You've never worked on a 78 Malibu. You could rent a studio apartment down there.

When you guys get under your C4, what do you do? I have a nice set of ramps but I'm scared to death to put a jack and stands under her...Just doesn't look like there is much room and you could really bang some edges up on her.

When you guys get under your C4, what do you do? I have a nice set of ramps but I'm scared to death to put a jack and stands under her...Just doesn't look like there is much room and you could really bang some edges up on her.

I use a floor jack on each side of the car to raise it, then put a jackstand under it.

Move up front with the floor jacks again, put jackstands under the front crossmember. You can get the jackstands all the way up, if, once the cars up to the first "click", you seesaw it up, one jackstand click at a time.

Bring it down the same way. Once you've got it in the air, it's a great time to remove the rocker panels for repaint, if they need it.

If you've got a lot lined up for yourself under the car, remove the rockers before you lift. Either way, if the rockers flex a little when you bring the jack up to them, lower, place a rag between rocker and jack, and they'll be fine.

I can do the simple stuff under the hood---and I do mean simple. I don't even like removing my K&N air filter, mainly because once one of the little threaded studs undid itself and fell into oblivion (Thank God for magnets!). It's waaaay t-i-g-h-t under the hood and to get to one thing it always seems you have to remove 2 or 3 others.
Tell you this though..., wait until it's time to change a fog or tail light if you really wanna holla!!! Oh..., speaking of tight fits..., you could very well have a fit if you ever wanna do the fix-it thing with the Bose stereo.
It'll all make you stronger. Have a beer--if you drink. Cuss some--or alot. Cause nothing comes close to that certain feeling of personal accomplishment that comes with the absense of repair bill shock. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom