Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Would a High Flow Water Pump Affect Anythig Stock?

jeffn

Corvette
79' Black Coupe
A stock 79' L-82 w/ 42k miles.....If I replace the original water pump with a Stewart high flow water pump, Is anything bad going to happen with the stock cooling system ? Should I just get an identical replacement part ?
That being said, will the Stewart "open the car up " a bit...?...For a stock car there isn't much I can do to help it "breath easier" other than exhaust and cooling modifications, w/o going nuts and getting into the heads and motor, which I'm not going to do.This is a 1000k/yr driver...Not a show car or a race car, but I'd like to improve the performance a bit.....Any little tricks out there?....Do tell.;squint:

Well my question was answered by 80 Convertible in a thread at the bottom of the page(I love those)....I searched 1st but nothing came up....
Well it seems that a high flow water pump doesn't allow the coolant to remain in the rad for a sufficient time to cool the fluid.It pumps it through too fast.....sooooo, I guess a stock pump is in order.....My cousin,who coincidentally owns a very respected rad shop in the Buffalo area said use a stock one also....He didn't tell me why though......Now I know.

Well it seems that a high flow water pump doesn't allow the coolant to remain in the rad for a sufficient time to cool the fluid.It pumps it through too fast.....sooooo, I guess a stock pump is in order.....My cousin,who coincidentally owns a very respected rad shop in the Buffalo area said use a stock one also....He didn't tell me why though......Now I know.

That story is a myth that's been around as long as cars have, as is the one about removing thermostats.

If the water was circulating too fast to shed the heat, it would also being too fast to absorb the as it flows through the engine.

There's just nothing to be gained by using a hi-flow pump on the street. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom