Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Would you buy an LT4.....would you sell one?

1996 LT4 Topic
I Love Mine ...now has 37K on the odometer but still extremely tight .

Gonna hand it down to my daughter for her daughter one day.

Update on my LT4 ownership

Hi guys,

Another overdue note from the other side of the pond!

In another few weeks I shall have owned my LT4 for two years - and it has been great. Our country lanes and left hand drive are sometimes a bit of a challenge but, hey, it’s worth it to drive something this good. If it isn’t enough that the car itself (a CE Coupe) is pretty great, that awesome LT4 motor just delivers so well. I have now been from our home here in Hertfordshire, just north of London, on a couple of trips to France. One of these was with my son to see the 24 hours Le Mans race last year. More recently though we drove to stay on holiday by Lake Garda in northern Italy for a couple of weeks. My wife was a little concerned about going on such a long trip but she now talks about it and our ‘Vette with real enthusiasm. The journey there went well. The journey home was brilliant. Instead of driving back through the St Gotthard tunnel, we got caught up in a queue of traffic as a result of an ‘incident’ in the tunnel and decided at the last moment to drive over the pass. I have to tell you that everyone should do this at least once. I have driven over the Alps using other passes, once in a Lancia Delta Integrale rally car a couple of years ago, but nothing compared to driving my very own Corvette over them. When we reached France we decided to give all the Autoroutes (I think you guys call them Freeways) a miss and just use regular roads. This was a good decision. We not only saw more of the countryside and small towns and villages, we also got to drive very fast at times. One incident stays with me. We had been following a guy at some speed who was on a powerful Ducati motorcycle. We finally got to a long open stretch of road – and he went for it – and so did we! I changed down to second and floored it. There was no way that bike was getting away. We traveled at speeds I won’t admit to here but after a few miles we had to start braking for a roundabout. Once we had slowed down sufficiently, our motorcyclist friend sat up on his bike and shook his arms – it really looked like it had been an effort for him to hang on to his machine at such a velocity. Us? We were comfortable and relaxed – and with a bit more road I like to think we could have taken him! He seemed to have appreciated the fun though and gave us a wave as we parted direction.

The rest of the journey home was just a joy. And since then, I’ve actually been using the car as my daily driver – 35 miles a day round trip to work – plus some fun at weekends – and I just love it. So, I’ll wind up as before: would I sell it? Well, yes if I had to. Do I want to sell it? Absolutely not!

Here’s to the next time chaps.

Cheers, Al

Maybe he meant last of the original small block iron blocks, as the LS1 that followed in 97 was a total re-design with an aluminum block I think...but I honestly don't know if that makes the LT4 the last of the original small blocks...anyone?;help
RG
Yup. The LSx is a smallblock, I suppose (though there is no bigger block anymore, after all they didn't call the smallblock a smallblock until a bigblock came out), but it is a completely different engine.

The "Gen II" LT1/4 is just an evolution of the original smallblock from the 50's. Reverse flow cooling doesn't make it a new engine, at least not to me. One look at the exhaust manifold with the center ports right next to each other, or the intake manifold with four paired ports, and it's clearly a Chevy smallblock.

To me, the LSx motor killed both the traditional smallblock and the bigblock when it came out. It seemed kinda sad, but time marches on.

Though the 8100 big block is still produced, it is not used in any passenger vehicle applications. And it was pretty completely redesigned in 2001, sharing little with the Mk IV blocks.

Though the 8100 big block is still produced, it is not used in any passenger vehicle applications.

Incorrect. It can still be ordered in any of the Chevy of GMC 2500 or 3500 series trucks. That is unless you don't consider these passenger vehicles. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't though, they can be had with four doors, and to me that construes carrying more than just a driver, why else would they call them "Crew Cabs."

I consider your other points valid though.

:w
:pat
G

Incorrect. It can still be ordered in any of the Chevy of GMC 2500 or 3500 series trucks. That is unless you don't consider these passenger vehicles. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't though, they can be had with four doors, and to me that construes carrying more than just a driver, why else would they call them "Crew Cabs."

I consider your other points valid though.

G

Not according to GM. The 2500HD come with the 6.0L gas engine or the 6.6L Duramax diesel. That's it. I can't find a listing for the 3500. According to the powertrain site, the 8100 only comes in the GMC Topkick and Chevy Kodiak for 2008.

Even at that, a 3500 pickup is not what I'd call a "passenger vehicle". Very few people buy them for non commercial purposes I'd bet. I'd also make the generalization that if the vehicle comes with an Allison transmission, it's not meant for the passenger vehicle crowd. :)

I stand corrected.

G

You can stand down, now, sir!!!

What about all the vehicles that tow mobile campers? You know the ones. The ones that are so huge they are swaying with the breeze on the interstate! :D

Don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, but who are the drivers in the vehicles? Aliens? :rotfl

SAVE THE :w

Don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, but who are the drivers in the vehicles? Aliens? :rotfl
LOL, I don't know man, who cares? :confused Do a lot of people buy Topkicks to tow campers? The basic point with respect to the LT4 was that in my opinion it was the last of the original smallblocks. :W

The basic point with respect to the LT4 was that in my opinion it was the last of the original smallblocks. :W

True, True!

A set of headers that fit a L98 will and do fit the LT4, its still a 23 degree head, same configuration of exhaust and intake ports.

Like you said the LSx it a different animal (of the same color) LOL

G

Welcome to CAC! :upthumbs

Why don't you post in the New Member Introductions so that all of us can give you a proper welcome?

SAVE THE :w

Im a new guy here. Lt-4 is being shipped as I write this.

Wecome Aboard

You now have one of the Finest Road Cars of ALL Times.

You will Love it I know...Never get rid of Her.

Cajun

Welcome.....

Im a new guy here. Lt-4 is being shipped as I write this.

Contratulations. You've found a home amoungst some of the most knowledgeable and friendly CE and LT4 owners out there. I've had mine 19 months now (my first corvette) and it makes me smile every time I think about it. Post up some details on the car when you're able.

Regards

I have a Grand Sport Vert... I would soon rather live in it before i sold her. And that is on a serious note. It is a great engine. i run with my Buddies 04 z16 up to 120 and then he get's me by a length. but i'm running lower gears or i would eat his @#$% up!!! this is with no internal work.

o
Shawn

I passed on an LT4 Coupe last year due to the fact that it had a salvage title. I would love to own one and would rather have a 96 with an LT4 over a C-5 or C-6 anyday. I see so many C5's and now C6's and another one out there would just blend into the crowd.

It's A Keeper!!

Hi all;

My 96 CE LT4 is my first Corvette and it's a keeper in my humble opinion. The car handles great as it should and it feels very stable on the roads.

The LT4 pulls away effortlessly from stops and accelerates on the highway with very little effort and the tach indicates it's hardly breaking a sweat at 80 MPH!

The sad part is that the public highways/speed limits don't allow a car like this to reach anywhere even near its full potential.

As for collectibility, I think the special editions will eventually work their way to the top of the list as more and more people would like one of these cars for their own. It's a case of supply and demand among the buyers.

The CE is a very rare edition here in Canada with only 83 being exported so it attracts attention from other Corvette owners as well, most whom have never actually seen one.

The only thing that would make my car better would be if it was a convertible. That B pillar on the coupe behind the doors just ruins the smoothness of the car's lines. When the top is down on the convertible, it's just a flowing line from front to back.

Either way, I'm going to keep my Corvette!

1996 LT-4 coup Aqua-Metallic Blue/Black interior

:happyanim:I had no idea about this corvette and how rear it was! one of only two made in 1996! WOW! I love the ride and fell of this car and will never part ways with this vet. I wish I had more time to drive her.it's on my mind all the time.Bornwild

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom