Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Would you put this part on your car?

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
Here is a used set of 84-87 upper A arms I bought from a vendor, as you can see the left one is dented. The undamaged right A arm photo is for comparison's sake. The vendor says it's normal and happens while torqueing or removing the bolts, but that the A arm is useable. What do you say? I say no way, it's damaged and dangerous to use as is. Would you put this A arm in your car?

34533%3C%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D877%3D59%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B8%3B649972ot1lsi
34533%3C%3A723232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E786%3E4%3A%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3C7%3C558%3A65nu0mrj

I wouldn't use it. This is NOT due to normal removal. Jason at vette2vette has a pile of these and none look like this. Look at the bushing. There is a slight misalignment and, at the very least, the bushing will wear prematurely.
Also, there could be microscopic intergranular failure of the metal - especially aluminum. This loss of intergity could cause sudden and catastrophic failure of the piece.
Terry

Don't Use It!! That is from Coll. Damage!! It is not Normal!! He's Full of Sh*t to his Eyes and the rest Toilet Paper!!:upthumbs junk!!

Just to add to what Terry said, not only will that bushing wear prematurely, it will also wear unevenly. You will get a funny and possibly dangerous ride.

Don't put that on your car!

JonM said:
Go ask your alignment shop. :W

I'm an alignment guy, an autocrosser and I own a tire store. That guy is full of crap. That is NOT normal, that thing is BENT. There is no way that happened from tightening the control arm bolts while aligning the car. Someone else said it, that's crash damage. Or pure stupidity while removing it.

Jay

jwilliams said:
I'm an alignment guy, an autocrosser and I own a tire store. That guy is full of crap. That is NOT normal, that thing is BENT. There is no way that happened from tightening the control arm bolts while aligning the car. Someone else said it, that's crash damage. Or pure stupidity while removing it.

Jay

I'm pretty sure that Jon was joking.:L:L:L

Must've been one strong guy to bend that A arm like that by just tightening the bolts. :L:L:L Was it the T-800? :D

jwilliams said:

Jay

I wasn't accusing an alignment person of bending it...I was insinuating that an alignment person would have a more difficult time aligning the car with that part installed.I was telling him to ask his alignment person if he should install the part.

Islander said:
Here is a used set of 84-87 upper A arms I bought from a vendor, as you can see the left one is dented. The undamaged right A arm photo is for comparison's sake. The vendor says it's normal and happens while torqueing or removing the bolts, but that the A arm is useable. What do you say? I say no way, it's damaged and dangerous to use as is. Would you put this A arm in your car?

34533%3C%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D877%3D59%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B8%3B649972ot1lsi
34533%3C%3A723232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E786%3E4%3A%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3C7%3C558%3A65nu0mrj

P..., pu...,put that on my Vette?!!!! Well, NO!!!!! DUH! Go get your money back! I can't even believe you bought it in the first place. You knew better too, its just that for a moment, that vendor sweet talked you and you wanted to believe you'd found a deal. You didn't.
Now watch.... The vendor will say YOU damaged it.

vee93 said:
P..., pu...,put that on my Vette?!!!! Well, NO!!!!! DUH! Go get your money back! I can't even believe you bought it in the first place. You knew better too, its just that for a moment, that vendor sweet talked you and you wanted to believe you'd found a deal. You didn't.
Now watch.... The vendor will say YOU damaged it.

The damage was not obvious in the photos he sent. Only when I opened the package did I see the bent arm. It's going back, but I'm having a little trouble getting the vendor to return my e-mails. He did answer his phone last week which was when he mentioned it was damage that happened when the arms were removed and it was normal. He said he would look for another arm for me so I'm hoping he makes good on that pretty soon. Stay tuned.

However, going back to his website and checking the photos that are still there (yes, I saved them on my PC), NOW you can actually pinpoint the damage. The photos posted here I took after I got the parts. I also kept the (undamaged) box they came in. No dice on claiming I or FedEx did it. Hell not even the Terminator/Governator can do that damage with his own bare hands..

You can always tell when your on to something when the vendor doesn't return you calls/email. He obviously knew that part was defective. I hope you didn't spend too much for the part as it appears that you are going to have some trouble getting your money back. JMHO!

JonM said:
I wasn't accusing an alignment person of bending it...I was insinuating that an alignment person would have a more difficult time aligning the car with that part installed.I was telling him to ask his alignment person if he should install the part.

Nor did I feel that anyone was accusing an alignment tech of causing the damage. I was answering the question from the standpoint of being an alignment tech that I would not install that control arm if it was brought to me. Yes, trying to align it with that bent arm would be a chore. I'd love to see what kind of readings it would give ya. My point was, that I have aligned alot of C4's both for street use and setting them up for autocross and I have never, ever seen one bend from loosening and tightening the bolts.

Jay

It is bent and any supplier that would try to pass that off as "OK" is not reliable..take them off the list.

Offer to build the vendor a garage using a caprenter's square and level that have been run over by your truck a few times. See what the reaction is.

Jeff

Update: I just called and talked witht he vendor (btw, he has not returned one e-mail post-sale, he did fine pre-sale. Hmmmmm...) and he's having "trouble" finding reasonably priced replacement parts to send me. He said a guy was supposed to call him back this morning, but hadn't, with info on a good left A Arm, so he was going to call him back and then give me a call back today regardless. No call back to me equals bad news, IMO.

I told him I was in no rush but I wanted to have my suspension ready to go by the end of November. We've been on this trek since early October, I'm patient, but the longer it goes on the lower the possibility of positive resolution. Here's what I figure will happen: if he can provide the good part he'll ship it to me by the 15th without any additional charges and the story ends happily.

If he can't provide the part then I want a money order or certified check sent to me in the amount I paid him (including shipping), PLUS $14.50 for the cost to ship the defective parts he sent back to him. As soon as I receive the check or MO and cash it I'll ship the parts back to him. Those are actually the exact terms of sale he has up on his website and the ones I followed. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, don't you think?

The dent that you point to doesn't really bother me, but the fact that the shaft is obviously bent INDEED bothers me. I consider it a reject.

Good luck,
Doc

Islander said:
If he can't provide the part then I want a money order or certified check sent to me in the amount I paid him (including shipping), PLUS $14.50 for the cost to ship the defective parts he sent back to him. As soon as I receive the check or MO and cash it I'll ship the parts back to him. Those are actually the exact terms of sale he has up on his website and the ones I followed. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, don't you think?

If you don't get the resolution you want, you can threaten him (and follow through if necessary) with filing a complaint with ebay based on the item not being as described. If he did not specify that it was bent, and you said the damage was not evident in the photo, you have a case for misrepresentation of merchandise. Ebay has a policy which specifies certain steps you must take before filing a complaint such as trying to resolve the issue with the seller, which it appears you are doing. In certain cases, fraudulent purchases/transaction are protected by Ebay. You can check their home page for more details.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom