Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WTB: Fairway Green (also, need advise!)

Good luck with that.

Nice. He didn't like my offer. He offered only another 1k on my trade-in. Apparently Ohio does not calculate taxable value as Used car purchase price MINUS Trade-in vehicle credit. Apparently taxable value is Used car purchase price PLUS dealer fees. For that I should just sell my car locally for the best price.

I made another offer for 12k out the door with my trade-in included. that's only $3k difference from his asking price from the last conversation. :argue

It has 38k+ miles on it, almost twice as much as the one up in Wisconsin. It's a Manual (I prefer an A4). It has a black interior (I prefer the lighter color). It's about a thousand miles away. And lastly, it's a '97, not a '98 where the convertible was offered. I really think his price of just about $18k including his doc fees that he says everyone in Ohio pays is just too high for all of that.

At the end of the day, I would feel ripped off at that price and I want to sleep well knowing I did ok and wasn't an idiot, at least not based solely on this decision. I might be an idiot for other reasons, :Silly but the jury is still out on that one!

Not to mention, it's missing the front license plate cover! (j/k)

Nice. He didn't like my offer. He offered only another 1k on my trade-in. Apparently Ohio does not calculate taxable value as Used car purchase price MINUS Trade-in vehicle credit. Apparently taxable value is Used car purchase price PLUS dealer fees. For that I should just sell my car locally for the best price.

I made another offer for 12k out the door with my trade-in included. that's only $3k difference from his asking price from the last conversation. :argue

It has 38k+ miles on it, almost twice as much as the one up in Wisconsin. It's a Manual (I prefer an A4). It has a black interior (I prefer the lighter color). It's about a thousand miles away. And lastly, it's a '97, not a '98 where the convertible was offered. I really think his price of just about $18k including his doc fees that he says everyone in Ohio pays is just too high for all of that.

At the end of the day, I would feel ripped off at that price and I want to sleep well knowing I did ok and wasn't an idiot, at least not based solely on this decision. I might be an idiot for other reasons, :Silly but the jury is still out on that one!

Not to mention, it's missing the front license plate cover! (j/k)

Well, I'm not sure exactly what's going on with this guy's "fuzzy accounting," and it may very well be what he's telling you is the case (I've never made a car purchase in Ohio). But ultimately you wouldn't be paying taxes in Ohio if your residence (and therefore, the state in which you're registering the vehicle) is Florida... So it would come down to how Florida handles these cases (out of state purchases where your old vehicle was traded in) -- and potentially how the people at this Ohio dealership fill out the paperwork... You might check with Florida first...

But if the car is not for you, it's not for you. I prefer the manual transmission, and those are pretty rare in the early C5's; but if you want an automatic convertible with the Light Oak interior (which would be my preferred interior color with Fairway Green as well), sometimes you have to be patient, "Grasshopper..." ;) And in the case of a Fairway Green convertible, you'll probably need to be very, very patient: they only made 60 of them, according to the production numbers...

1998: the year of rare C5 paint colors -- Aztec Gold Metallic, Fairway Green, Majestic Amethyst Metallic, and Navy Blue (although they made plenty of that color in subsequent model years)...

Which brings me to another point: if you're not hung up on that particular shade of green (i.e., Fairway Green), you might have better luck tracking down a 2000 or 2001 in Dark Bowling Green Metallic with the Light Oak interior; considerably more of those out there...

Which brings me to another point: if you're not hung up on that particular shade of green (i.e., Fairway Green), you might have better luck tracking down a 2000 or 2001 in Dark Bowling Green Metallic with the Light Oak interior; considerably more of those out there...

I totally agree. Not only will it possibly be easier to find, it will be a car with more options just because it is newer. I need to stress that if you are hung up on just one color, you must have some flexibility or you will never find what you want. In the case of Fairway Green, they only made a total of 378 Corvettes in that color. It is highly unlikely that you will find the "perfect" one. So, my advice is to expand your search to includee the Dark Bowling Green Metallic color, also.

In the case of paying sales tax in Ohio, an out-of-state buyer here in Massachusetts is supposed to pay the MA sales tax. When they register the car in their home state, they do not have to pay it again in that state. They may have to pay the difference if MA tax is less.

Let us know how you make out.

Elaine

Fairway Green is a beautiful color and with the Oak interior is a great combo. They didn't make many of them. I can't say for sure what kind of price you'll have to pay to get one...obviously model, condition, options and miles plays a part in that. But I will say that a friend of mine recently bought an 02 coupe (Magnetic Red/black) with 83K on the clock in very nice condition for $14K.

A decent paint job can run you $7-12K. An over the top one can cost $20K and up. I think I'd be looking for an original Fairway Green if it was me.

I have to agree with Tom here. Nice cars can be found for decent prices- just don't be in a rush to make an emotional buy that ends up leaving your expectations unmet and out of more money than you wanted to spend.

FWIW- green Vettes are beautiful.

Good luck! :thumb

I bought it

My first glimpse of the car
First Glimpse IMG_4031.jpg

Zoomed
IMG_4031.JPG

From the front
IMG_4033.jpg

Now I just need a front license plate cover.

Attachments

• Just Mine IMG_4033.jpg
    Just Mine IMG_4033.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 125
Did you buy it?

The dealer is a GM outlet. They should be able to get a license filler plate easily, and cheaply. If not, they are available in salvage yards and forums, although you will probably have to pain it.

It's a nice looking ride!

Did you buy it?

The dealer is a GM outlet. They should be able to get a license filler plate easily, and cheaply. If not, they are available in salvage yards and forums, although you will probably have to pain it.

It's a nice looking ride!

Thanks!

He quoted me $140 for it. Not cutting me a break I can see.

I'm looking for a replacement.

FWIW, the battery died yesterday, and the A/C had to be recharged. The local dealer said they put two pound of refrigerant in there, or at least that's what they charged me for. Now there's no issues with the air or power. That kind of thing is kind of expected in any used car. I just think the dealer up in Toledo kind of cheaped out and didn't bother doing anything to make the car better. I'm so glad I didn't get stranded on the way back to Florida.

Thanks!

He quoted me $140 for it. Not cutting me a break I can see.

I'm looking for a replacement.

FWIW, the battery died yesterday, and the A/C had to be recharged. The local dealer said they put two pound of refrigerant in there, or at least that's what they charged me for. Now there's no issues with the air or power. That kind of thing is kind of expected in any used car. I just think the dealer up in Toledo kind of cheaped out and didn't bother doing anything to make the car better. I'm so glad I didn't get stranded on the way back to Florida.

Yeah, those guys sound like volume-deal artists; particularly when their esteemed technician, who allegedly checked the A/C system (posted in your other thread), didn't notice it was apparently completely out of refrigerant... :eyerole Well, the car is in better hands now; and like you point out, I guess those kinds of annoyances are typical of used car deals...

You'll want to consult this thread before buying a replacement battery. The C5 is a bit of a "battery diva," and you can end up with flaky problems if the installed battery doesn't have the proper ratings.

I found several front filler plates by Googling C5 license filler plate

Mine is for sale

Just put my '98 fairway green metallic convertible on the market today. Light oak interior and top. beautiful car with 52,600 miles. $30,000 email rsbedard@hotmail.com

Welcome aboard...sure hope you get what you're asking. :thumb

FWIW: This is what mine cost

I Bought my 1997 Fairway Metallic Green Coupe with 382xx miles on it, great condition (exterior at least ;) ) for $16k and change from a dealer.
The seats are great, black interior (but yours is probably a better interior color and the convertible is potentially more desirable).

I bet the Convertible and that color could be worth a little more. I had fewer miles on mine at the time of purchase, plus there's a number of small enhancements- air filter, intake. The seats have *all* of the controls, even one I've never seen in a car- it kind of "hugs" you on the sides (variably of course).

The Dealer did not know the top came off. I didn't tell him.

It sounds like you have a really nice car for sale. Good luck.
:beer

Another Data Point, FWIW

Just put my '98 fairway green metallic convertible on the market today. Light oak interior and top. beautiful car with 52,600 miles. $30,000...

I Bought my 1997 Fairway Metallic Green Coupe with 382xx miles on it, great condition (exterior at least ;) ) for $16k and change from a dealer...

Yeah, I'm also thinking $30k is pretty 'optimistic' for your car, "simon." The market just isn't there these days to support those kind of prices, even on the rarest C5 colors. I paid less than $30k for the Aztec Gold Metallic coupe that I just bought, with ~9,300 miles on the clock... And Chevy only built 15 of those...

Also recommend posting a link to your listing, or some photos and a more comprehensive description of your car (transmission, options, modifications, etc.).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom