Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

yes or no 78 style rear bumper on a 80-82

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
I kinda like the more aggresive looks of the 78 style rear bumper when the pace car spoiler is added over the 80's integral spoiler. Did either of these spoilers promote any downforce or were they for looks only. Can the 78 style bumperrette thingies be removed? what would this conversion cost and would the 80's style front bumper kill the looks?

whats your opinions just want my 82 to look different is all.

Maybe you can photo chop it onto your car to take a look - see..

But i think, your being a convertible is already different, dont you think? ;)

I like the integral spoiler on my car, though i dont think in the speed range we're driving, it add's anything other then looks.. :)

:w

where can I get this photo editing stuff?

Yes it looks different as it is but I still like the more aggressive look of the pace car setup but dislike those bumperette thingies on the bumper is all.

Maybe someone around here can chop it on a pic of your car.. You need to know your way around photoshop to do it right. I know i am no expert on it. :ugh

The software is here, but see the price? LINK

Not worth for a one off.. Post a pic of your car and maybe someone from the CAC thats good with Photoshop can digitally pop a 78 butt on it. :D

You can't remove the bumperettes without incurring a lot of labour and material work. Could get expensive. One option might be to purchase a one-piece (non-split) rear bumper for a 1974. The 1974 is the only rubber bumper car without bumperettes. The one on my car is fiberglass, much sturdier than urethane. Then you could add the Pace Car spoiler.

I would forewarn you that ANY new bumper will require some bodywork/tweaking to fit properly.

rita-007.jpg

...You can't remove the bumperettes without incurring a lot of labour and material work...

I agree.

...One option might be to purchase a one-piece (non-split) rear bumper for a 1974. The 1974 is the only rubber bumper car without bumperettes....

Possible swap, but the 74 taillight set up is one year only.

... I would forewarn you that ANY new bumper will require some bodywork/tweaking to fit properly...

Yep. Count on it.

Have you considered Eckler's C4 bumper cover for C3s? http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=13091-VL&dept_id=1353
You say you want a different look.
:)

Do the tail-lights on a 74 bolt into the bumper cover like a 82? And how well do these fiberglass bumpers fit? Your 74 bumper is what I am interested in and are there any hidden things that must be changed to do this swap?

I'de like to see what you mean by the bumpers dont fit right from the manufacturer.

Do the tail-lights on a 74 bolt into the bumper cover like a 82? And how well do these fiberglass bumpers fit? Your 74 bumper is what I am interested in and are there any hidden things that must be changed to do this swap?

I'de like to see what you mean by the bumpers dont fit right from the manufacturer.

One other thing I wanted to know is would the pace car spoiler fit the contour of the convertible rear deck? I kind of remember my 82 deck having a slight hump to it by the back window where as the convertible deck is flat back by the gas cap so I am wondering if this would affect the fit of a pace car spoiler in that area.

No, they don't fasten from the outside surface. They are held on the reddish plate in the pic by nuts. Bulb installation is from the backside as well. I don't have pics of ill-fitting bumpers but the problem is well known.

tail-002.jpg

These braces are 1974-only as well. They secured the center areas of the original two-piece (split) bumper.

bumperbrace-002.jpg

I vote no, I think it looks droopy but with your convertible I'm not sure. A local guy I get parts from is going to put an 82 rear bumper on his late 70's vette.

Curiously, I have seen the opposite done (i.e. a mid-70's Vette with the early 80's front and rear ends).

GerryLP:cool

I put in some new back-up lenses/pods today to replace the faded old. It's pretty complicated under the 1974 bumper. I would not advise you to convert.

Yeah I'm aborting the idea. Since I'm fairly certain The contour of the 78-82 deck is different then the convertibles more flat deck. Oh well maybe a after market 80-82 style high rise spoiler bumper is what I will get.

I ordered a L-88 hood so will have to see how the car looks with that on before I decide on another bumper cover. Also may ponder with ZR-1 style rims for it as well and a steeroids setup.

Thought you might enjoy this. One of our Club members has a 1980 convertible with a 454 installed.

Ctc17.jpg

Ctc15.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom