Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Yet Another Running Hot Question

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
I have had my '95 coupe for over 4 years now and know her pretty well.

At some time over the past few months, she has started running 10-15 degrees hotter than usual. I can't say how long that change took, but I usually run with the Cool digital display on, and it used to be around 184, and now is around 197. I don't think it was a gradual change.

But in all other regards, she is running great. No overheating, fans come on OK, temp goes up at idle a bit but nothing excessive, cools down after idle when I get going, etc.

I had my local mechanic (who I trust and knows LT-1s) take a look. He flushed and refilled the system, burped it, installed a new 180 thermo, and checked the radiator for crud on the outside. No change.

Level in the overflow tank (hot and cold) is fine.

So I am faced with a car that seems to be running fine, just hotter than it used to.

Any ideas appreciated!

I have had my '95 coupe for over 4 years now and know her pretty well.

At some time over the past few months, she has started running 10-15 degrees hotter than usual. I can't say how long that change took, but I usually run with the Cool digital display on, and it used to be around 184, and now is around 197. I don't think it was a gradual change.

But in all other regards, she is running great. No overheating, fans come on OK, temp goes up at idle a bit but nothing excessive, cools down after idle when I get going, etc.

I had my local mechanic (who I trust and knows LT-1s) take a look. He flushed and refilled the system, burped it, installed a new 180 thermo, and checked the radiator for crud on the outside. No change.

Level in the overflow tank (hot and cold) is fine.

So I am faced with a car that seems to be running fine, just hotter than it used to.

Any ideas appreciated!
I'd say it is running well within spec's!!:thumb
195-215 is about the norm rolling down the road with out the AC!!
Primary cooling fan isn't programed to come on till 226-228,and the secondary is programed to come on at about 233-234!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
If the AC is on 1 fan will run continuously,You don't have a cooling problem, Ride that ride with a smile!!
Don't Worry,Be Happy!!:thumb:D

Hey Junk! Just the man I wanted to reply - one of the sharpest guys around and another Carolinian too!

I agree with all you said, and I know all about the fans and temps - all learned from the great guys here.

The ony thing that concerns me is that is that it changed, and changed pretty quickly. I guess I am kinda anal about that stuff, and I watch the temp regularly. 184 yesterday, 197 today, doesn't make sense.

How about sensor went bad?

Hey Junk! Just the man I wanted to reply - one of the sharpest guys around and another Carolinian too!

I agree with all you said, and I know all about the fans and temps - all learned from the great guys here.

The ony thing that concerns me is that is that it changed, and changed pretty quickly. I guess I am kinda anal about that stuff, and I watch the temp regularly. 184 yesterday, 197 today, doesn't make sense.

How about sensor went bad?
Do you have a IR Gun?? If so check the temp at the thermostat housing!!:thumb

I would get down on my hands and knees and check for plastic bags or any kind of debris in front of the A/C condenser. Also, check between the condenser and the radiator. You can see between them from the passenger side. Those two places are notorious for getting clogged.

AFTER CLEANING IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

Already done LT4Man - thanks. Actually pulled the radiator. Did that once when I first got the car and found a fair amount of stuff. Did it again when we had this heating problem and didn't find much at all. I thik the previous owner must have liked running over stuff!

I pulled a plastic bag from in front of my A/C condenser last week. I should made that a weekly maintenance item! :beer

PLEASE SAVE THE :w!

Wow Bob, we have not seen you around here in a long time. I hope you resolved your cooling problem. If the rad is clean and you already flushed the cooling system, buy a new thermostat and share your results.

Yeah, I haven't been around too much lately. My biggest issue is that I ran for local Town Council and won - so my free time has been somewhat limited! But at least I have time for the Vette and she is in fine shape, except for the temp problem.

Already put in a new thermostat - did that when we flushed the system. 180. No change.

But after driving around for a few months now, she seems just fine. The temp is higher than it was, but no problems at all and it stays where it is except at idle and then comes right down when I start moving.

I need to check the temp at the waterpump as Junk suggested, but haven't run into a gun yet - I will do it.

Is it possible the timing changed?

Or the fuel your running?

How does it run at night??

Water pump leaking??

Just some thought's?

Vig~

Just by a long shot, could the sensor be going bad?

How many miles on the radiator? Is it original?

Are you using the green anti-freeze or the Dexcool?

Just trying to pin this down.

AFTER LOWERING YOUR COOLANT TEMPS, PLEASE BE SURE TO SAVE THE :w!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom