Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 With an Automatic Transmission . . ?

SatansVette

Corvette
2006 YLW, 2004 YLW & 1985 BLK
Will someone please educate me . . . Last year, I purchased my C-6 with the paddle shift auto trans and it truly almost makes you feel like one could have 2 transmissions in their vette, an Auto AND a Standard. But what I can't understand is, why doesn't or didn't . . , GM elect to design a Z06 with the same or paddel shift or capable auto trans in a Z06? It was the only reason why I didn't buy the Z06 instead.

At first, I thought the Z06 just punches out too much torque for that transmission to handle but, that's actually, a pretty stout transmission for what I have learned.

So, could someone please give me some education why a Z06 wasn't designed to come with the option for an Automatic Transmission ?

I'll give it a stab. I think it's because the Z06 is supposed to be a factory production racer. Race drivers want the manual for the track so the production car gets the manual. I also remember hearing that safety rules in pro racing dictate that the cars have to have a hardtop. So along with no automatic there's also no Z06 convertibles. We can always hope though. :)

I personally don't think a 06 will ever make it out the door with an automatic of any kind....maybe a paddleshift stick, but not an auto.:D

Ya, but weren't some of the older and maybe so still today, I don't know, but weren't some of the Top Fulies drag racing with some auto's like the "Doug Nash Auto's?" I can understand making sure the chasis should be a solid structure, hence minus a convert or removable top, but . . . there must be something else to prevent the auto option. Interesting!

but weren't some of the Top Fulies drag racing with some auto's like the "Doug Nash Auto's?"

The Z-06, and indeed all Corvettes, are designed for road course racing, not straight-line 1/4 mile.

The real beauty of the Corvette is that, in addition to accelerating and going fast, it can actually turn corners too. ;)

All of the factory-racer activity for the last 45-50 years, (i.e. the "out-the-back-door" secret stuff of the '60s), not to mention the C5R campaign, was designed around road course racing, not drag racing.

Real race cars turn corners...............both left and right. :upthumbs

Oh definitely, I totally agree... but it seems, at least I seem to think anyway :), that paddle shift auto's currently in the regular C6, could more handle the Z06 could dish out.... no?

Hmmm, Z06 designed to go on curves and road courses and not necessarily the 1/4 mile, therefore no paddle shifters.

So I guess that Formula 1 cars with their paddle shifters were designed for the 1/4 mile.

Are you really sure that is the reason and not some other one?

I think the thread is getting off topic.... I'm really just trying to figure out why GM doesn't or didn't offer an automatic in the ZO6 . . . not that the C6's 6 speed Paddle shift Automatic transmission would be the only option.

I think they think it is more performance oriented. Since the paddle shift is more of an auto, they would rather stick with a manual. Plus weight saving too I believe. Also the paddle shift is a newer technology (to GM) that they may believe is not up to the extreme pressures a race car (Z06) is supposedly used as. This is just my opinion based on information I have read.

-Tatortot

I heard that GM was testing the new A6 paddle shifter in the Z06 and it was in fact a faster track car than the six speed manual.

Corvette buyers for the most part think driving a manual is important to "Being in control" or some bull.

Maybe GM engineers have'nt experienced the Corvette manuals "clutch pedal sticking" scenerio...

Wish GM offered the Dual clutch sequential shifter technology Porsche is ready to release..(audi offers the dual clutch sequential shift technology for 1200 dollar option so its not expensive .......

I heard that GM was testing the new A6 paddle shifter in the Z06 and it was in fact a faster track car than the six speed manual.

Corvette buyers for the most part think driving a manual is important to "Being in control" or some bull.

Maybe GM engineers have'nt experienced the Corvette manuals "clutch pedal sticking" scenerio...

Wish GM offered the Dual clutch sequential shifter technology Porsche is ready to release..(audi offers the dual clutch sequential shift technology for 1200 dollar option so its not expensive .......

I was thinking about porsche and their tiptronic auto:

The 911 Turbo has two transmission options—a 6-speed manual or Porsche's advanced 5-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission. For the first time in a Porsche, acceleration is actually quicker with the automatic than with the manual transmission. However, performance figures are impressive with either transmission. When equipped with the 6-speed manual, the 911 Turbo reaches 60 mph in just 3.7 seconds ; 99 mph arrives in 8.4 seconds. The Tiptronic S transmission brings the 0-60 mph time down to a mere 3.4 seconds, with 99 mph showing up in 7.8 seconds. Top speed with either transmission is 193 mph. Definitely supercar territory

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4024058

I would love for GM to offer this!

Beleive it or not Porsche is creating a new automatic paddle shifter with dual clutch technology that surpasses both the M6 and tiptronic in its execution.

Should be out next year or so!

Can't wait to see what occurs in the transmission world after that car releases..

Could be all over for manuals and torque convertor automatics...(at least in sports cars!)

Oh definitely, I totally agree... but it seems, at least I seem to think anyway :), that paddle shift auto's currently in the regular C6, could more handle the Z06 could dish out.... no?
Is this where "no means yes?"

The 6speed auto paddleshift is designed to handle 670lb. ft. of torque. My stock Z06 has 427 on the ground. Now, figure 10% gain from the ground to the output shaft and...:W

Chevy has never had an automatic in any Z06, going all the way back to 1963. It'll be a cold day in hell before they put one in now.

no? (or possibly?)

The die hard stick shift fans probably voiced their opinion against the paddle shift for the Z06...

Personally the Bullsh!t with the clutch pedal has swayed me...

I'd buy a double clutch shift technology in a Corvette anyday of the week just so I didn't have to deal with the sticking clutch pedal that GM is ignoring...

The A6 torque convertor model almost made production but its been held back...

Bad for the "macho" image of the Z so its probably on hold..

I personally think it would be awesome and GM tests showed its actually faster than the manual....(or so I've heard from those who said it exists if you believe that)

It's not a question of if the an automatic would be faster then a manual.
Rather, it is a corporate decision to only build the Z06 with a manual.
I know how to drive a manual, so this did not deter me from purchasing the Z06.
Since you can't purchase the Z06 any other way, this is a moot point.
GM is in the business to sell cars, and it sells everyone of the Z06's it makes.
Seems like they know what they're doing.

I guess when sales slow down GM can decide to go world class with its transmission technology and offer the Z06 with dual clutch sequential shift technology.

I'd pay the 1250 dollars Audi or VW charges for that technology over the 6 speed manual.

Its not always a question of selling all you make but rather keep the cutting edge of superior performance.

The biggest gripe I've always had with the corvette manual transmission is that as the miles pile on....many have sticking clutch pedals which really sucks!

After my experience with the c5 Z06 clutch? I won't buy another manual tranny until I read a ton of guys who no longer have to pull and refill the master every month...just to keep the clutch operational.

DSG or an automatic paddle shifter would negate this nonsense.

JMO

Manual/Auto/SMG

The Z-06 gets a manual trans, least expensive and stout unit for production.
The paddle-shift auto is an electronically controlled automatic ( with torque conv'r ).
A Sequential Manual Gearbox is an electronically-controlled, hydraulically operated conventional gearbox. The shifts are electronic commands to hydraulic valves which control hydraulic actuators operating the gearsets. These SMG trans are a little complicated but knock out gearshifts in less than tenths of a second and DO NOT MISS SHIFTS! That is the huge gain of an SMG - no "Money Shifts". There are two SMG designs out there - the regular clutch design ( seen in BMW M-series ), and the concentric dual clutch design ( Audi ).
When GM finds a way to include an SMG within thier Z-06 budget, they'll bring it out ( without bugs, one hopes ). Until then - conventional manual.

I won't go into the image of either design, but think that knocking out fast, reliable shifts without driving distraction of any kind is the way to go.

fwiw Audi offers the dual clutch sequential shift technology as a 1200 dollar option. Audi also sites that the transmission is still less than a standard automatic transmission.

I sure hope GM picks up the ball on this technology and if its smart it will out source the tranny to borg warner or who ever is making it these days..

Its just amazing what this technology is capable of. (and no more sticking clutch pedals either! )

I'm all for it. I'd retrofit the dsg in a c5 for 10 grand just to rid myself of this sticking clutch pedal. Of course that will never happen but down the road I'd like the next Z I own to have DSG or an automatic paddle shifter if need be so I NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH A STICKING CLUTCH PEDAL AGAIN!

Macho smacho....get rid of the dam sticking clutch pedal...(although I think the weekly/monthly fluid swaps and the pedal stop have finally eliminated the problem)

Been through 2 ls6 clutch kits and now have the ls7 clutch and none fully resolved the issue..... Had the best tech in the business do the install too. Money wasn't an object on this.....Just wanted my car to work correctly.

DSG alleviates this issue. IMO and it shifts as fast as any human anyway with the direct feel of a manual mechanical connection........which is better than a torque convertor or so I've heard...

Supposedly the new A6 paddle shifter has tight shifts but wouldn't be as tight as a DSG imo........

GM is in the business to sell cars, and it sells everyone of the Z06's it makes.
Seems like they know what they're doing.

But out of curiousity . . . If the A6 takes on 400h from the factory, and the ever insightly moders out there throw in nitrous and a supercharger's on top of their coupes, the A6 seems to welcome this power . . . I can't imagine that there wouldn't much of a jump to create an auto OPTION ... I say OPTION, in a Z06.

I don't think GM's creation of the Z06 was that of a commercial profit or loss mindset.

Regardless, I wanted an auto Z06 but had to settle for other . . . and where there's one buyer that does, there's another, and another and so on.

I don't know, just my 2 cents.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom