Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Z51 Brake Squeal. Opinions sought

tfasnacht

Corvette
08 Atomic Red Vert, 74 Red Couple
recently traded my beloved 02 Z06 on an 08 vert. The car has the mag. suspension and thus the Z51 brake package as well. On the drive home from delivery I noticed a 'school bus brake squeal' coming from the back right side of the car. I continued to notice it, and took it back to the dealership to be fixed. They printed a service notice and reported that GM considers this normal. I called GM customer service and after review, they agree that GM thinks the car should be this way and no solutions were available. I asked if they would take the car back which of course they will not do. I talked with the dealership about taking the car back and that idea is falling on deaf ears unless I want to consider trading for an Impala SS. So far I've been very nice to everyone involved.

So I'm at that negative point where I don't want to be. Angry at the car, angry at GM, angry at the dealership. Ready to start trading my 4 gm cars as fast as possible on other brands, etc.

Has anyone found a way to handle this issue without either A.) living with it every day, or B.) trading the car on something else?

Is anyone aware of any current litigation over this, perhaps a class action suite? If not, would anyone else with the problem be interested in being involved with an action of this type?

Thanks in advance everyone.

the whole story is....

There was a TSB on the pads in 05 for about 15 minutes.GM realized what a massive undertaking it would've been to swap every squeaking brake pad out there in 05's+06's so they reversed themselves and hence made the noise "NORMAL".The solution is swap for other pads or take the car up to speed a few times and hit the brakes hard till stopped.It will go away after a while.:bash

I swapped out my stock Z51 pads for GM ceramic pads.
Its an easy job, if you are handy and have the time.
The ceramics don't squeal and leave very little brake dust.
They stop just as good.

GM's part # are these:
88909667 – Front ceramic pad kit
88909668 – Rear ceramic pad kit

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom