Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 or C5?

ajax6

I'm now in the imediate choice between buying a -91 ZR-1 or a -98 C5 (stock). Both cars got M6 (which I want), same milage (50K), same price (roughly) and both are in very good condition.

Which is the better car to buy? I'm primarily thinking of road handling, performance (acc/speed), value over time, durability (=engine life etc).

TIA

Ajax

img3fcfe935ad414.jpg

SXC391-2061.jpg

I'd worry about the value of the C5 after the C6 comes out.
Durability ? There are ZR1's out there with over 250k miles still running strong. The LS1 is not even in the same league.

There is a good reason why a 91 vette with equal miles/condition to a 98 would be equal in price. You need to think about what that 98 C5 will be worth when it's as old as the ZR1.

I agree about value of the c5 after c6 releases. Besides....
You can't beat the the ZR1 with a stock C5 AND the ZR1 has Torque Thrust II's on it!!! (SWEEET)

I vote ZR1.

And here's a pic of my TA with TTII's:

Your on the ZR1 board. What did you think we are going to say ?

Please exuse me if I appear to be a wiseguy. Good luck on your decision.

Well Frank, you don't seem like a wiseguy to me. Nor am I an idiot - I've of course posted the same question over at the C5 board. And to tell you the truth - they don't seem quite so sure of the answer as you people in this place. Now, there might be a clue in that as well?!

Ajax

when you own a ZR1, you own a piece of corvette history. So far the only corvette that can claim to have a dual overhead cam multi valve engine. World class 24 hour endurance record. In stock trim 180+ mph. Limited production.

Just look back in time and see which vettes left a lasting impression. The ZR1 is in that class and then some.

I was going to buy a 2000 recently, but at the last second chickened out. The more I look into the future and think about looking back, the ZR-1 would make me much happier. Not really sure performance wise, but beauty wise would be the ZR-1 anyday. Now I just have to find the right ZR-1 (harder to find than I thought).:beer

I was in the same boat a wile ago..

I wanted a nice zr-1... But test drove a few c-5 and a few lt-4 cars

I ended up with a stock 91 zr-1.. and I never looked Back.

Go with the zr-1

Thank's!

Ok, thank's everyone for all your advice. It sure makes the desicion easier. You've been most helpful.

A Merry X-mas and all the rest to all of You!

Ajax

I was thinking about putting TT on my 90 ZR1.. Now I see that one and I like the look even better!

Handling (equal)
Acceleration/speed (ZR1)
Value (ZR1 but who cares, buy what you enjoy more)
Durability (ZR1)
What type of use do you plan for the car? ZR1 gives more of a racecar feel when driving, is a little less practical, but down right awesome. C5 has increased comfort level for everyday use, is a little more practical, but NOT awesome like the ZR1. Bottom line, test drive both, decide based on which one you enjoy driving more and which one fits your needs better.
Note: The wheels pictured on the ZR1 don't do the car justice. There are so many more types of wheels that would make the car look better; ZR1 5 stars or CCW black center with ss blots for instanse.
Mike

Mike,

I'm planning on doing a lot of driving, but not on a daily basis. I have a Saab 9-5 for my regular day-to-day driving. Besides that I today own a black Camaro SS 2000, targa top, M6 but I'm now planning on upgrading to a Vette.

Use of the new car will be everything from spending time in my garage washing and polishing it, taking her for a slow evening drive through town (Stockholm, Sweden), attending the occasional street race (nothing serious, though) and from time to time make a long distance tour (like Stockholm - Copenhagen - Stockholm). And in addition the warm glow in my stomach from just owning one. A lot of feeling attached to this purchase. Not so much focused on practical aspects and comfort (in that case I would just stay with my SS). But performance, road handling, knowing that I own a top notch car and the true muscle car feeling are important. Childlish? Sure - but nice!

Ajax

ZR1 hands down,
I had my ZR1 and a C-5 just happend to be a Z06 I still have my ZR1 2 of them now actually,
I drive my ZR1 daily and have put almost 11,000 miles on her in the last 2 years 9 months of that time I was in the persian gulf and the subsequent war My car was torn apart at the time for a bad water pump, and that is the only big thing I have had to fix on this car the other is the stereo but I think we all know how the blows system is. thats my next project getting that to work.

get out and test drive both of them and then make your desision but for me it would be the ZR1

johnny

ajax6 said:
A lot of feeling attached to this purchase. Not so much focused on practical aspects and comfort (in that case I would just stay with my SS). But performance, road handling, knowing that I own a top notch car and the true muscle car feeling are important. Childlish? Sure - but nice!

Ajax

Camaro SS = Muscle Car
Corvette = Sports Car (that happens to have gigantic nads).

Camaro SS = Muscle Car; Corvette = Sports car

Correct. Sorry 'bout the mix up.

All input considered I've come to the decision to go for the ZR-1. Thank's a lot to all who contributed with your knowledge and experience. It's been most appreciated!

Ajax

Keep in touch and let us know how you like it !! Enjoy the miles ! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom