Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 or Grand Sport??

Nice cars here.

The more I look at the '96 CE's w/the LT4 the more I like them. It is essentially the same car as the GS and for the most part cheaper on avg. Hmmmm.....

A Silver (LT4) roadster with red interior.....SWEET!!!!

McD,
I don't have any idea what the cost would be to rebuild, or freshen up a ZR-1. I bet if you asked in the ZR-1 forum you could get a pretty good idea.
I'm with you on the 96 CE. The last year of a model run is the most refined of that generation. I had planned on selling Ruby to grab a 96 CE. But if I continue improving Ruby for track days, She will out perform a LT 4, with less investment and less guilt feeling of not preserving a CE. A good running LT 1, 6 speed can be more fun than being in Hyder, Alaska on a saturday night.

McD, a 100k ZR-1 is not an investment car. In the current C4 market you might not lose money on the car, but you aren't going to make much either. Even when the C4 market does increase, a ZR-1 with those miles is not going to be something that someone is looking to pay alot for. If you are looking for an investment, the Grand Sport will be the way to go.

As far as a catastrophic failure of an LT5, very rare. These engines were made to be run hard. As to working on the LT5, yes it looks intimidating, but it can be done by the do-it-yourselfer. I replaced the coil packs on mine last year and had to remove the plenum. Gordon Killebrew offers a school on C4 Corvettes and ZR-1's at his home. I am going this year. I have heard nothing but good things about it because you work on your own car. There are several people on the ZR-1 netregistry forum that have taken the ZR-1 apart and worked on them and will help you if you ask. There are still some companies that make parts for the LT5 because it is not as common as the LT1/LT4. You also might pick up a copy of "The Heart of the Beast" It's about the ZR-1/LT5 development. After reading it, I was convinced that the LT5 was worth owning. Bottom line, you don't have to be afraid of the LT5.

Good luck with your decision.:beer

Jim

I've been to Gordons school. It was worth every penny of it. I went to a ZR-1 2 day weekend class. There was about 10 other ZR-1's so there was not alot of personal attention. I talked to a guy who went and his was the only car there, alot of personal attention. The man really knows the C4's, I mean really knows them. You can't beat a factory service manual though.

You also might pick up a copy of "The Heart of the Beast" It's about the ZR-1/LT5 development. After reading it, I was convinced that the LT5 was worth owning. Bottom line, you don't have to be afraid of the LT5.
Good luck with your decision.:beer

Jim

I want a ZR1 :J After reading "The Heart of the Beast" I am convinced that these engines will run over 200K without a problem. I'd go for the Z

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom